Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Geralt Will Kick Pirates' Asses

hiver said:
Tomek Gop :

We designed the game in that way, that eventual console version of Witcher 2 won't force us to change the interface, redesign the gameplay, controls and so on. We attempted to [project the game in that way] that making a console version would be really easy for us.

http://www.gamezilla.pl/content/tomek-g ... na-konsole

No point and click interface, No different camera PoVs, Bioware dialogue, QTE`s.

:smug: As predicted.
Dragon Age II will be the better game due to less dissapointment.

hiver

But hey, atleast they will be first to design PC exclusive game for consoles.

haha.

zeitgeist

Magister
hiver said:

haha.
Well, the first game was very similar to a typical console aRPG already. I'm not sure why it was never actually released on consoles, did anyone follow the development closely enough to offer some insight into that? Were there plans that fell through, or was it just a sort of a practice run for the sequel?

Quilty

Magister
The inventory was extremely complex. It required a mouse to drag and drop items.

If they want to REALLY take an ultra-hardcore-sue-everyone campaign against pirates, they should make a Phantom action-rpg, set of course in the early versions of the Phantom, where he's main goal is fighting pirates.

In that one case, I could happily cheer on armies of hired computer nerds tracing torrents, massive legal teams suing each and every pirate, bribery of 3rd world governments to ensure that the hands of torrenters are chopped off for thievery, so long as every single computer ner, legal team and lobbyist spends their time working on that file dressed up as The Phantom. The legal firm might have to change its name to 'Mr Walker and associates'. THAT is a DRM I could support.

Dantus12

Educated
zeitgeist said:
hiver said:

haha.
Well, the first game was very similar to a typical console aRPG already. I'm not sure why it was never actually released on consoles, did anyone follow the development closely enough to offer some insight into that? Were there plans that fell through, or was it just a sort of a practice run for the sequel?

As far I remember they had a major disagreement with the French company in charge for porting the game,about lack of quality of the port.The Aurora was anyway a console friendly engine,but the French guys tried to do some cuts,typical money grubbing -deliver less for same amount of money and CD Project canceled the port.

Phelot

Arcane
Badesumofu said:
Here's what I don't get. A lot of people here bitch and moan that game devs have sold out, or only care about money, or didn't make the game that you personally wanted them to make - if you're actually not even paying for your games in the first place, then what right do you have to even voice your opinion? I know this is the age of the internet where any retard can have their views published on a forum, but really the level of entitlement that this indicates is stunning.

The problem I have with this is that many games don't offer a demo and don't offer returns. That's practically unheard of in any other industry and the price tag simply doesn't allow for whims and impulses. $50 is a lot of money and publishers are constantly crying about raising the standard price for games (which they have for XBOX.)

Steam doesn't allow returns and I don't know of any game stores that will allow you to return an opened box so we're left at the mercy of publisher's ad campaigns and reviewers that can't seem to dish out an honest opinion on the games they review.

As for demos, they used to be the standard. What happened? Especially in this age where we can download gigs upon gigs of pirated software, what is the excuse not to allow us to try out a game before we pay for it? Bandwidth? I think I just shot that down. The price for the publishers? Think of it as an ad campaign in itself. Rather then wasting money on booth babes and launch parties, maybe they could, you know, let their game stand on it's own merits in a demo. If it's good then people will buy it just as they always have. It's like they're afraid of allowing people to play it for fear that they'll see through all the bullshit hype.

Anyway, I really hope there's a Witcher 2 demo...

Chuftie

Augur
Awor Szurkrarz said:
I vote for lesser prices and lower system requirements :smug: .

In all honesty as one of those rare "poor people" I cannot afford to having to make sure to upgrade my computer to keep up with the graphic whore-tastic games they keep cranking out.

Yes I like my graphics to be presentable, but I am butthurt about how these game are all shiny leeches with nothing solid to warrant shinyness

Shannow

Waster of Time
Destroid said:
I guess they must (attempt to) fine whoever's name is on the internet plan? Regardless of if that person or even anyone in their household pirated their game. Plenty of people still have insecure wireless networks running in their homes.
That's why the media corporations lobbied until the law was changed. At least in German you must secure your network. Otherwise you're liable. And, AFAIK, if you claim that it wasn't you who torrented it and that perhaps your secure network was penetrated you have to prove that. Where in a normal system one is innocent until proven guilty.
Add to that that the lawyers usually charge 500€, although the law states that for first time offenders 100€ is the maximum, and ass raping cease and desist conditions...
Gods, I hate those lawyers and people who employ them so badly...right next to most politicians and banksters.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Shannow said:
At least in German you must secure your network. Otherwise you're liable. And, AFAIK, if you claim that it wasn't you who torrented it and that perhaps your secure network was penetrated you have to prove that.
God this is retarded. I think all of Europe is moving towards this, I remember the UK brewing something similar though I don't remember if it passed through.

We're not doing too badly here. Friend of mine torrented a watched movie and got a letter from his ISP. It was hilarious. "We would like you to know a company wants to sue you for pirating this movie. Due to confidentiality laws we cannot tell you who they are. Due to these same laws, we will not tell them who you are. We would recommend that you abstain from downloading copyrighted stuff in case the laws get changed. Thank you for your patronage."

I shit you not. Wording's my own of course but the original was even more polite and even more adamant about not doing anything against my friend and protecting his identity.

Gods, I hate those lawyers and people who employ them so badly...right next to most politicians and banksters.
Politicians and banksters are the people who employ them ;)

Phelot

Arcane
I'd imagine ISP's would rather not get involved and fuck with paying customer's shit. I know I had my upload speed halved because they thought I was hosting a website or some shit, but when I pointed out that I was simply using the bandwidth that I PAID for, they switched back on the juice.

I was actually torrenting shit, of course.

But, TBH if companies are allowed to just sell your info to other marketers then I suppose nothing is stopping them from giving out the info to lawsuits, depending on the country and/or state.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
hiver said:
Tomek Gop :

We designed the game in that way, that eventual console version of Witcher 2 won't force us to change the interface, redesign the gameplay, controls and so on. We attempted to [project the game in that way] that making a console version would be really easy for us.

http://www.gamezilla.pl/content/tomek-g ... na-konsole

No point and click interface, No different camera PoVs, Bioware dialogue, QTE`s.

And people are worried EA or Bethesda will buy out CD Projekt! :M

Mortmal

Arcane
Sceptic said:
Shannow said:
At least in German you must secure your network. Otherwise you're liable. And, AFAIK, if you claim that it wasn't you who torrented it and that perhaps your secure network was penetrated you have to prove that.
God this is retarded. I think all of Europe is moving towards this, I remember the UK brewing something similar though I don't remember if it passed through.

We're not doing too badly here. Friend of mine torrented a watched movie and got a letter from his ISP. It was hilarious. "We would like you to know a company wants to sue you for pirating this movie. Due to confidentiality laws we cannot tell you who they are. Due to these same laws, we will not tell them who you are. We would recommend that you abstain from downloading copyrighted stuff in case the laws get changed. Thank you for your patronage."

I shit you not. Wording's my own of course but the original was even more polite and even more adamant about not doing anything against my friend and protecting his identity.

Politicians and banksters are the people who employ them ;)

We got this law in france too recently, you have to prove you are innocent if they catch your ip torrrenting ,if they caught you three times they cut off the internet :) , oh and you are still eligible for some hefty fines.
Thats a first in french law it should be the other way around , in a court they have to prove you guilty.
Whatever it only prevent piracy from dummies who dont know how to bypass it (i suspect theres many such dummies posting here) or grandma downloading cartoon for heir grandchildren.
Its a psychological threat ,it seems to be working, and the only sensible thing to do . Drm are cracked on day one, well even before since the game is usually on one week before retail shop release.
No point arguing they will only find a good reason to pirate it, its too expensive, they may port it too consoles, bwwaaahaahah theres no demo, there'ss no tasteful rape ,system requirement are too high ... Is it that hard to say you just want stuff for free .

Baron

Arcane
There are no two ways about it, pirating Witcher2 is rape. I intend to be a real gentleman and leave my money on the dresser plus a little something extra for the CE kinky shit I'm going to do with that game.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
:what:
People still use torrents for movies and music?

Chuftie said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
I vote for lesser prices and lower system requirements :smug: .

In all honesty as one of those rare "poor people" I cannot afford to having to make sure to upgrade my computer to keep up with the graphic whore-tastic games they keep cranking out.
Personally, I simply burned out on upgrading my comp around the time I could play BG2 in 1024x768 with 32 bit colour without any problems. I don't need anything more from games. Now I just want to buy the stuff that I want to buy, not that game developers want me to buy. And that stuff doesn't happen to be computer hardware. In my current computer, monitor costs 2,5 times more than I have paid for the rest.

Chuftie said:
Yes I like my graphics to be presentable, but I am butthurt about how these game are all shiny leeches with nothing solid to warrant shinyness
I think the only stuff that makes me wish I had a modern computer are modern simulation games and realistic shooters like ArmA 2. But it's not enough to make me resign from other things. And even if I have larger sums of money, I prefer to save them emergency stuff. Which usually happens sooner or later.
If I'd have enough free money to buy new hardware, I'd probably buy one of these crazy FCS joystics or something like that and would use them with older sims that I have.

Texas Red

Whiner
I pirate games because I don't want to pay. If there will be consequences to this, I will consider paying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom