Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dragon Age 2 Announced

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Cloaked Faggot said:
You're still going to buy it the day it comes out and secretly enjoy it

No chance of the first and very little chance of the second.

darkpatriot said:
Like I said it's not Complex Branching narrative but it is leaps and bounds above BG2.

So fake choices and flavor text is now to be taken as a shining beacon of development? I guess we should be sucking Beth-cock too since F3 is slightly better than Oblivion, it must mean that their next game will be fucking awesome and cash in all their promises.

darkpatriot said:
I also love turn based combat... in strategy/tactical games. RPGs have rarely had great turn based combat systems.

As Circ pointed out, you haven't played many RPGs then at all if you feel that way. ToEE and JA2 are probably the best examples of excellent turn-based combat systems and there's nothing wrong with Gold Box/Dark Sun-games either - their systems would work just fine today since they have always been mechanically sound.

darkpatriot said:
I thought PC combat worked fine. They'll improve it some to be sure but I don't see them changing it drastically

I thought that was a rather ludicrous statement but after reading your next post it makes more sense - naturally you think its fine if you haven't experienced anything better. The combat was a mess both mechanically and in encounter/level design - on easy/normal it was easy to ignore the flaws since you just plowed through but on hard/nightmare they were glaringly obvious.

darkpatriot said:
Saying them time and time again to the same audience is bitching and moaning.

Yeah because every time a new RPG is announced fucktards like you come out of the woodwork claiming how its gonna be supawesome!1! Then when its released the hype is revealed to be just that - fading vapour and the shit surfaces. Afterwards you get Blizzard-fanboys (or hey, Grey Wardens!) who endlessly defend their purchases since they cannot look into mirror and admit that they've thrown ridiculous amounts of money and time into gutter.

I'D LOVE TO BE PROVEN WRONG since it would mean that I'd finally have a new great RPG to play over and over and over again.

darkpatriot said:
Looks like they will be trying some possibly interesting things with C&C.
As was supposed to happen with ME2 and look, we got pretty much nada. Woop woop!

darkpatriot said:
Also the decade span gives them the opportunity to show in game consequences as opposed to an ending slideshow. They have said as much in one of the information tidbits on the internet but I'm not going to bother finding it for you since you are bringing weak arguments.

I guess now's the time to bring out VD's old Oblivion review out since it shows perfectly how far apart dev-talk & hype are from reality. But hey, keep dreaming, I'm sure they aren't lying - this time!

darkpatriot said:
There are large number of quests with multiple solutions in DA:O

Hey, please state them. And the solutions!

darkpatriot said:
The real cost is gonna be in having to design each encounter/level twice anyway.
And you believe that they will do that?

Seriously, go ahead and gobble down all the hype bullshit. Just try to remember your mindless gushing when DA2 is released. In the incredibly minuscule chance that I'm wrong and you are right, please feel free to gloat as much as you want. As I wrote above, I'd love to be proven wrong. Too bad that the track record so far leans heavily my way.

treave said:
Uh, OBVIOUSLY THE CONSEQUENCES WILL BE IN ME3 SHIT, it's designed as at trilogy, Biowere are designing longerterm so the consequences will be seen in the final act.

I hope you are joking, treave.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
GarfunkeL said:
darkpatriot said:
Like I said it's not Complex Branching narrative but it is leaps and bounds above BG2.

So fake choices and flavor text is now to be taken as a shining beacon of development? I guess we should be sucking Beth-cock too since F3 is slightly better than Oblivion, it must mean that their next game will be fucking awesome and cash in all their promises.

I agree that Complex Narrative is a good goal to strive for, Not going to happen in anything but an indie RPG though. To many resources spent for things that not everyone will see. Just because they lead to a similar point doesn't mean it's fake choices though. They often have different in game ramifications. Plus that flavor text you want to be so dismissive of is a large part of the game. That flavor text is usually the way the narrative is advanced.

GarfunkeL said:
darkpatriot said:
I also love turn based combat... in strategy/tactical games. RPGs have rarely had great turn based combat systems.

As Circ pointed out, you haven't played many RPGs then at all if you feel that way. ToEE and JA2 are probably the best examples of excellent turn-based combat systems and there's nothing wrong with Gold Box/Dark Sun-games either - their systems would work just fine today since they have always been mechanically sound.

D&D isn't a very good system. The fact that you think it is says a lot. I enjoyed the darksun and goldbox games back in their day but the systems and their implementation of them had their problems. And again JA2 - not an RPG.

GarfunkeL said:
darkpatriot said:
I thought PC combat worked fine. They'll improve it some to be sure but I don't see them changing it drastically

I thought that was a rather ludicrous statement but after reading your next post it makes more sense - naturally you think its fine if you haven't experienced anything better. The combat was a mess both mechanically and in encounter/level design - on easy/normal it was easy to ignore the flaws since you just plowed through but on hard/nightmare they were glaringly obvious.

I had to adjust my tactics for quite a few of the boss fights. That's the part of a system I enjoy. Having to think up new ways to get around things. But then again I'm usually not to worried about Combat in RPGs.

GarfunkeL said:
darkpatriot said:
Saying them time and time again to the same audience is bitching and moaning.

Yeah because every time a new RPG is announced fucktards like you come out of the woodwork claiming how its gonna be supawesome!1! Then when its released the hype is revealed to be just that - fading vapour and the shit surfaces. Afterwards you get Blizzard-fanboys (or hey, Grey Wardens!) who endlessly defend their purchases since they cannot look into mirror and admit that they've thrown ridiculous amounts of money and time into gutter.

I'D LOVE TO BE PROVEN WRONG since it would mean that I'd finally have a new great RPG to play over and over and over again.

Many of the things you want aren't going to happen in a mainstream title. You know this. I know this. Most of the people here know this. To sit here and keep complaining about it is bitching and moaning.

Also you understand the entire point of games is entertainment right? People don't have to defend why they enjoy something.

no no. I think your right. Millions must be living the delusion that they enjoy something. If they didn't how would they justify their 50 Dollar purchase. People's fragile minds can only handle so much.

GarfunkeL said:
darkpatriot said:
Looks like they will be trying some possibly interesting things with C&C.
As was supposed to happen with ME2 and look, we got pretty much nada. Woop woop!

Tracking so many decisions and having them all have some reactivity in the next game was actually something new, never done before (as far as I know), and I found it interesting. But then again I forgot that only complex branching narrative counts as C&C. And we'll discuss ME2 here in a second so hold your thoughts.

GarfunkeL said:
darkpatriot said:
Also the decade span gives them the opportunity to show in game consequences as opposed to an ending slideshow. They have said as much in one of the information tidbits on the internet but I'm not going to bother finding it for you since you are bringing weak arguments.

I guess now's the time to bring out VD's old Oblivion review out since it shows perfectly how far apart dev-talk & hype are from reality. But hey, keep dreaming, I'm sure they aren't lying - this time!

Interesting logic. A=x therefore B=x.

And as far as biowares track record on C&C (or reactivity which I think is a more descriptive term for it) they have been consistently increasing it in each game they release recently. I believe this will continue based of this trend. Not because some marketing guy said it.

If your going to bitch when they say/do something that you don't like and then bitch that they are lying when they say something that you might like what is the point in even commenting on it?

GarfunkeL said:
darkpatriot said:
There are large number of quests with multiple solutions in DA:O

Hey, please state them. And the solutions!

Besides the board quests, most of them do. It's hard to take you seriously if you are honestly trying to maintain that nearly every quest in the game had but one way to do it and the few that gave you a choice it was simply a binary one. If you really want to read something about it read VD's write up on it. I'm pretty sure you already have actually so you can probably save time by just trying to remember it.

GarfunkeL said:
darkpatriot said:
The real cost is gonna be in having to design each encounter/level twice anyway.
And you believe that they will do that?

Yes, for several reasons. One - They already did in DA:O. They hard to go through and rebalance all the encounters for the console version since it was harder to control the gameplay with a controller.

Two - Bioware's resources are greater by several magnitudes than they were 5-10 years ago. At the same time the resources required to design encounters has not scaled all that greatly. Graphics/Voice over/Adding Cinematic scenes has been a huge reason why games are so expensive nowadays. Compared to their resources available it is not taking up a very big chunk in order to accomplish this.

GarfunkeL said:
treave said:
Uh, OBVIOUSLY THE CONSEQUENCES WILL BE IN ME3 SHIT, it's designed as at trilogy, Biowere are designing longerterm so the consequences will be seen in the final act.

I hope you are joking, treave.

Except that he is correct. They couldn't have to much variance by the end of ME2 (and ME1 as well) because they had to have everyone in a relatively similar starting point for 3. As well as ensuring characters they wanted to play a big part in the story for 3 would still be around. These constraints won't exist for ME3 and they will have much more freedom to show the results of your actions/decisions from ME1/2. And hopefully DA2 is the only story of hawke so they won't have those constraints for making DA2.

For someone who is trying to act like some video game RPG elitist you sure don't know all that much about them. You only know what your preferences are and get upset that you aren't being catered to. This leads you to the conclusion that anyone that doesn't share your preferences must be some kind of retard. In short you do a good job epitomizing what is wrong with the codex.

You don't break stuff down with intelligent analysis and keen observation. You cry and whine like a child.

BTW you should feel hopeful for the future. As mainstream games become more and more expensive to make and as a result move further and further from your ideal of what a game should be they leave big gaps for low to moderately expensive games that indie developers have been moving into. There are really exciting things going on in the indie game development world and it's only set to get better in the future. Games you want will probably never be made with a Huge budget but they wlil be made.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
circ said:
Jesus christ dp, you just come up with new strawmen, without backing any of your previous arguments or providing a SINGLE. FUCKING. EXAMPLE. Fuck off.

The amount of effort I put into a reply correlates with the amount of effort put forward into an argument. If It'd a retarded argument I'm not going to put a lot off effort in my response to it.

I actually provided an example this time if it makes you happy. VD's write up.

I'd also be interesting and knowing which strawmen I used.

darkpatriot said:
circ said:
Jesus christ dp, you just come up with new strawmen, without backing any of your previous arguments or providing a SINGLE. FUCKING. EXAMPLE. Fuck off.

The amount of effort I put into a reply correlates with the amount of effort put forward into an argument. If It'd a retarded argument I'm not going to put a lot off effort in my response to it.

Now I'm just a simple country lawyer, and I don't know what all this strawmen and VD crap yer spoutin is, but I do know one thing.

You, sir, are a faggot.

Fomorian

Novice
darkpatriot said:
Besides the board quests, most of them do. It's hard to take you seriously if you are honestly trying to maintain that nearly every quest in the game had but one way to do it and the few that gave you a choice it was simply a binary one. If you really want to read something about it read VD's write up on it. I'm pretty sure you already have actually so you can probably save time by just trying to remember it.

You're really confusing multiple quest solutions with multiple quest endings. A glowing example of the former is Fallout where every quest was intended, however imperfectly, to have the option of being able to complete it via stealth, combat, or diplomacy. You can talk the Master to death, you can kill him, or you can sneak in and set off a nuke. Three different quest solutions with a single ending: the Master dies.

Dragon Age's quest variations consist overwhelmingly of multiple quest endings. You can choose to work for Dwarf X or Dwarf Y giving you two separate endings to the quest but there is only one solution: hack your way through the mafia dungeon and kill the mafia leader. For another example you can only solve the quest involving the possessed kid in Redcliffe one way: dungeon crawling to one extent or another. There are instances of multiple quest solutions in DA:O but these tend to be minor and mostly short sidequests like dealing with the mercenaries in Denerim. You can beat them up or use diplomacy/intimidation to get them to leave.

I think this is where the C&C fags get into trouble because thanks to their worship of a retarded buzzword it's difficult to differentiate between the two but they know the latter really sucks so they fall back on stuff like how "shallow" the C&C is in Dragon Age compared to Fallout. Or they genuinely enjoy it like VD and therefore destroy C&C's standing on the Codex. Which is a pretty good thing to be honest.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
a Bioware intern said:
circ said:

Now I'm just a simple country lawyer, and I don't know what all this strawmen and VD crap yer spoutin is, but I do know one thing.

You, sir, are a faggot.
Pretty much why I stopped right away. Was too frighteningly reminiscent of Azarkon...

Azarkon? Is that you? Are you now a Bioware intern?

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Fomorian said:
You're really confusing multiple quest solutions with multiple quest endings. A glowing example of the former is Fallout where every quest was intended, however imperfectly, to have the option of being able to complete it via stealth, combat, or diplomacy. You can talk the Master to death, you can kill him, or you can sneak in and set off a nuke. Three different quest solutions with a single ending: the Master dies.

Dragon Age's quest variations consist overwhelmingly of multiple quest endings. You can choose to work for Dwarf X or Dwarf Y giving you two separate endings to the quest but there is only one solution: hack your way through the mafia dungeon and kill the mafia leader. For another example you can only solve the quest involving the possessed kid in Redcliffe one way: dungeon crawling to one extent or another. There are instances of multiple quest solutions in DA:O but these tend to be minor and mostly short sidequests like dealing with the mercenaries in Denerim. You can beat them up or use diplomacy/intimidation to get them to leave.

I think this is where the C&C fags get into trouble because thanks to their worship of a retarded buzzword it's difficult to differentiate between the two but they know the latter really sucks so they fall back on stuff like how "shallow" the C&C is in Dragon Age compared to Fallout. Or they genuinely enjoy it like VD and therefore destroy C&C's standing on the Codex. Which is a pretty good thing to be honest.

You make an excellent point.

Baron

Arcane
DA2_DialogueWheel.jpg

Baron

Arcane
[Nostalgic] "....Rosebuddd..."

With the announced new direction of the DA2 plot, and comments by activated Bioware sleeper ironyuri, and, of course, film critic Roger Ebert, I'm wondering if Bioware is going after the holy grail. Are fantasy games fantasy art? Will Bioware produce its Citizen Kane for those that like orcs? A political tale of ascension and the acquisition of loot told through flashbacks, trash mob fights, ending with PC despair and a veiled reference to someone's clitoris?

One can only hope.

Mass Effect 2 was criticised by some for reducing its RP component in exchange for advanced alien gun play. And Dragon Age has always been heavily influenced by other RPG titles, (Dwarves still existing as a fantasy race despite the obvious benefits of genociding them.) Is a stronger story based scenario even likely?

The advances in computer graphics sees the separation between film and games coming to an end, with Bioware race favourite and a good seven levels over its rivals (with perhaps the exception of James Cameron and manchild Michael Bay.) DA2 will undoubtedly have strong cinematics and Orson Welles podium stances above a crowd holding halbards, but will roleplaying choice and alignment options be sacrificed along the way like some helpless boy in Jim Profit's basement?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Plus that flavor text you want to be so dismissive of is a large part of the game. That flavor text is usually the way the narrative is advanced...

And as far as biowares track record on C&C (or reactivity which I think is a more descriptive term for it) they have been consistently increasing it in each game they release recently.

That's like arguing that using still-pictures and voice-overs is a good way to transit the plot in a movie. Sure, it's a good way to recap events or do an introduction but using it to convey plot points?

As well, you argue that meaningful C&C has increased in Bioware games - well, KoTOR and Jade Empire surely are evidence on the contrary so I guess your "recent" only includes ME and DA:O and as we all know, the former has nothing but hack/slash in the classic Bioware-binary mold while the latter was slightly better but still mostly same - as Formorian pointed out.

D&D isn't a very good system.

It's a shitloads better than DA:O, especially if you only take into account the core-rulebooks of 3.5 or 2nd edition, without some of the retard stuff introduced in their printed version of DLC :roll: Anyway, their combat mechanics have enough options to make the combat both decently fast and decently interesting no matter what your build - especially in 3.5

What were the glaring flaws there that I'm blind to?

I enjoyed the darksun and goldbox games back in their day but the systems and their implementation of them had their problems

What was wrong in the combat systems, mechanically?

And again JA2 - not an RPG.

It's just as much an RPG than ME1/2 are so cash in your claims, please. Oh wait, you haven't even played it so of course DA:O combat seems fine to you and TB-combat outside of strategy/war-games is shit. Yeah, sure.

I had to adjust my tactics for quite a few of the boss fights

Oh sure. I guess it's better than Oblivion but then again, that's not saying much. I can wade through all of the "dungeon" on automatic, using the same abilities and spells in every encounter and then just switch from AoE to DD for the boss and that's combat in DA:O on hard. Granted, I haven't finished the game but I find it hard to believe that the combat changes enough in the latter part of the game, either mechanically or encounter-wise, to make any difference. It's shit, no two-ways about it.

But then again I'm usually not to worried about Combat in RPGs.
You should be, considering how large part of gameplay it is in all the AAA-titles. I'd LOVE to be able to play an RPG where combat isn't a major part of the game, but...

Many of the things you want aren't going to happen in a mainstream title. You know this. I know this. Most of the people here know this. To sit here and keep complaining about it is bitching and moaning.

Well, should we just lobotomize ourselves so we can enjoy the shit-sundae served to us, then? Maybe follow the example of Idiocracy?

Also you understand the entire point of games is entertainment right?

Oh, hey look. I'm running out of arguments so I'll just resort to the classic "millions of flies can't be wrong, shit must be good!"-tactic.

I don't go around bashing NASCAR-fans since I can follow Formula 1 or Rally or Le Mans or any other motor sports. Unfortunately, no-one is catering to my tastes when it comes to RPGs...

People don't have to defend why they enjoy something

Yeah, I'm not defending my habit of listening Christina Aguilera. I'm also not going to forums where people compare Aretha Franklin songs to write how they are whiny bitches who should get on with times.

Tracking so many decisions and having them all have some reactivity in the next game

See, in the Army I'd have you do push-ups for sprouting stupid shit like that. "Yeah, we couldn't be arsed to dig proper trench-lines, so we only dug out these holes barely big enough to shit in but hey, I'm sure no-one has ever dug so many holes before so it must mean something, right?!" Complimenting Bioware for doing the bare minimum necessary to be able to claim that they have any sort of mutated C&C between ME1 and 2 is stupid and merely does a disservice for the whole genre as you are giving a free pass for half-assed job.

They hard to go through and rebalance all the encounters for the console version since it was harder to control the gameplay with a controller.

Fuck that, they did nothing like that. They slashed monster hit points across the board for easy and normal in a patch because they had somehow managed to overestimate the average consoletard. Maybe they had to change a single variable? Maybe they had to change the blueprints of their four common monsters in the campaign files? Sure sounds like an epic job.

And now you expect me to believe that in DA2 Bio will keep the DA:O style for PC and implement ME2-style for consoleversions? :M

They couldn't have to much variance by the end of ME2 (and ME1 as well) because they had to have everyone in a relatively similar starting point for 3.

They ret-conned stuff from ME1 to ME2 and all of those decision touted in ME1 turned out to be worth an email or a 1-minute encounter with an NPC in ME2. Fucking great.

Either you design your game so that it can handle a lot of variety in player-actions and choices OR you don't advertise it including such things in the first place. And the former is not impossible, as the fucking JAPANESE have shown us in their fucking P0RN-games FFS:
5-30-20106-07-16AM.jpg

That's 7 different endings, branching and re-connecting lines, quite different plot lines. Check out the LP in Playground. So it's not impossible, it's not incredibly resource-demanding - you only need good designers with enough time and the common sense of not making them slaves of VAs and the marketing & graphixxx-departments.

In short you do a good job epitomizing what is wrong with the codex.

For sure since you have so valiantly shown us the proper way of Internet Argumentation. You are a retard for starting one, I am a retard for replying and we are both double retards to have kept it up. So, now that we got that off the way, please answer my points or then just take solace in the fact that even in Retardation, there are somewhat retards and then Super-Retards.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Dwarves still existing as a fantasy race despite the obvious benefits of genociding them"

:what:

:x :x :x :x :x

:retarded: :decline: :retarded:

ironyuri

Re: [Nostalgic] "....Rosebuddd..."

Baron said:
Citizen Kane?

[Perception] I see that you are talking about Citizen Kane.

It's true; all true. You've revealed my identity as a Bioware sleeper agent. I've been working for Gaider all along, infact I am David Gaider.

And I can confirm that Dragon Age 2 will be a tour de force of narrative cRPG. The Final Fantasy-esque screen captures? A diversion.

Dragon Age 2 will actually be a 2.5 D isometric cRPG set 500 years after the end of Dragon Age: Origins in what we have decided will be a post-apocalyptic steampunk setting a blend of nuclear war, magic and industrial technology.

There will be an infinite number of possible endings and the game will feature dynamic choice & consequence thanks to our new integrated choice and consequence simulator. We're working with nVidia to release a C&C card in preparation for the massive number of calculations that will be required to simulate such epic C&C.

Also, I, David Gaider will be working with the MCA to write the plot and the romances.

Hawke will be voiced over by the clone offspring of Ron Perlman and a fabled grimdark bear and will be, possibly, our most EPIC protagonist to date.

I guess that's all I can tell you for now. I hope you enjoy the game when it hits shelves! PS: all DLC will be free, infact, as cherished customers we will reward you for downloading our DLC with more free DLC.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
GarfunkeL said:
Fuck that, they did nothing like that. They slashed monster hit points across the board for easy and normal in a patch because they had somehow managed to overestimate the average consoletard. Maybe they had to change a single variable? Maybe they had to change the blueprints of their four common monsters in the campaign files? Sure sounds like an epic job.
Even before the patch they had changed the encounters on the console versions so there'd be a few more waves of fewer enemies on screen at a time. It's allegedly a hardware limitation necessity.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
GarfunkeL said:
That's like arguing that using still-pictures and voice-overs is a good way to transit the plot in a movie. Sure, it's a good way to recap events or do an introduction but using it to convey plot points?

As well, you argue that meaningful C&C has increased in Bioware games - well, KoTOR and Jade Empire surely are evidence on the contrary so I guess your "recent" only includes ME and DA:O and as we all know, the former has nothing but hack/slash in the classic Bioware-binary mold while the latter was slightly better but still mostly same - as Formorian pointed out.

Just to be clear I'm talking about the dialog and not the ending slide show. I consider the dialog half the game so If something effects it and changes it based off your choices I think that's valid.

And yes the trend on Reactivity (I'm going to say that instead of C&C for the rest of this post. I think it's more descriptive) has been mostly since ME and DA. Kotor and JE were mostly twiddling with different endings at the last second.

Also you must have gotten something different out of what Formorian wrote. I got that his point was that DA didn't often very many different ways to use different gameplay aspects to resolve quests but instead offered different outcomes. Which is mostly true. There is no stealth gameplay. All they have to offer is combat and the ability for dialog to effect the combat to a degree. That's what I got out of it but maybe you read it differently.

They offer plenty of different outcomes. And the majority of the major plot decisions have in game consequences (despite how much you want to maintain that it doesn't). I'll give two examples since it angers Circ so much that I don't. Although to be honest you express yourself better than he does so I don't mind. The landsmeet. How you handle several sidequests winds up effecting how difficult it is to achieve different things there. One way not everyone is aware of is the part where you get arrested rescuing the queen. It's possible to win that fight and not be arrested and kill the wench minion (her name starts with C or something) using some cheese tactics. You skip the entire break out of prison sequence and then during the landsmeet you don't encounter the wench when you try and enter. Logain also uses that you murdered her against you during the debate.

Also how you end the allies quests determines what kind of help you get at the final fight. Granted you can win the fight without any help but depending on the help you have can adjust how easy/difficult it is.

A lot of the choices either wind up not coming up again in the game or in someway or another winding up back at the same plot point. but like I said, You're not going to get a complex branching narrative in a mainstream CRPG. The best they can offer is to adjust how you experience the set story. DA is far from the best example of this but bioware has been consistently experimenting with different ways to implement reactivity.

It sounds like with this 10 year span they are continuing to try different things. And if they also focus on a more personal story (as they seem to be doing) I think it will be interesting to see what they wind up doing.

GarfunkeL said:
It's a shitloads better than DA:O, especially if you only take into account the core-rulebooks of 3.5 or 2nd edition, without some of the retard stuff introduced in their printed version of DLC :roll: Anyway, their combat mechanics have enough options to make the combat both decently fast and decently interesting no matter what your build - especially in 3.5

What were the glaring flaws there that I'm blind to?

Fight battle, Blow all spells making fight easy, rest, Fight battle, Blow all spells making fight easy, Rest.

Pen and Paper systems aren't balanced for the amount of combat CRPGs are capable of doing and typically require quite a bit of adjustment the system or how the game is structured to take this into account

DA works better because it is designed as a CRPG system. I'm not claiming Real time is better than turn based here either. Either can work well if they are designed well.

GarfunkeL said:
And again JA2 - not an RPG.

It's just as much an RPG than ME1/2 are so cash in your claims, please. Oh wait, you haven't even played it so of course DA:O combat seems fine to you and TB-combat outside of strategy/war-games is shit. Yeah, sure.

Nope. JA2 is still not an RPG. Squad based Tactical/Strategy game. I'm actually more of a fan of Strategy/Tactical games than RPGs, actually.

Best Tactical gameplay I've seen in any game is the Close Combat series BTW. That game is a great example of how Real time in no way limits Tactical Depth. People always want to bring up starcraft or Diablo every time people argue Real Time vrs Turn Based as if that is all real time games are capable of

GarfunkeL said:
I had to adjust my tactics for quite a few of the boss fights

Oh sure. I guess it's better than Oblivion but then again, that's not saying much. I can wade through all of the "dungeon" on automatic, using the same abilities and spells in every encounter and then just switch from AoE to DD for the boss and that's combat in DA:O on hard. Granted, I haven't finished the game but I find it hard to believe that the combat changes enough in the latter part of the game, either mechanically or encounter-wise, to make any difference. It's shit, no two-ways about it.

I Didn't phrase that sentence very well. I abstracted it to keep the point short. I had to adjust tactics on quite a few non boss fights as well. I'm not quite sure what you are looking for in a combat system and it seems it might be different than what I look for in one.

I enjoy combat systems where I have to react to situations and try and overcome them. DA provided this for me. I would develop a strategy and it would work for a while and then an encounter would come along where it no longer worked and I would have to think up a new system for overcoming them. This happened several times throughout the game and I was pretty satisfied. It wouldn't be as enjoyable if I did a second play through since I already figured it out. But Like I said I'm not playing RPGs for the combat anyway.

Extra credit- Best Turn based combat I've seen is in Blood Bowl. I think making the goal to score as opposed to killing people greatly expands the tactical possibilities.

GarfunkeL said:
But then again I'm usually not to worried about Combat in RPGs.
You should be, considering how large part of gameplay it is in all the AAA-titles. I'd LOVE to be able to play an RPG where combat isn't a major part of the game, but...

I too wish combat wouldn't be the focus of so much gameplay in most mainstream RPGs. That's why Torment still remains the best CRPG I've played.

GarfunkeL said:

Well, should we just lobotomize ourselves so we can enjoy the shit-sundae served to us, then? Maybe follow the example of Idiocracy?

No you just find a different Ice cream parlor. Like I said there's a lot of exciting things going on in the indie World right now. And I only see it becoming easier to achieve relative success in the future due to the rising costs of main stream games.

Continuing to be angered by mainstream AAA titles attempting to be mainstream AAA titles is a little silly. This is the reason the codex invented "It's good for what it is".

GarfunkeL said:
Oh, hey look. I'm running out of arguments so I'll just resort to the classic "millions of flies can't be wrong, shit must be good!"-tactic.

I don't go around bashing NASCAR-fans since I can follow Formula 1 or Rally or Le Mans or any other motor sports. Unfortunately, no-one is catering to my tastes when it comes to RPGs...

People don't have to defend why they enjoy something

Yeah, I'm not defending my habit of listening Christina Aguilera. I'm also not going to forums where people compare Aretha Franklin songs to write how they are whiny bitches who should get on with times.

That was in response to you remark that people come to defend something because they need to justify the time and money you feel they have wasted. I never said that it must be good because so many people like it.

GarfunkeL said:
Tracking so many decisions and having them all have some reactivity in the next game

See, in the Army I'd have you do push-ups for sprouting stupid shit like that. "Yeah, we couldn't be arsed to dig proper trench-lines, so we only dug out these holes barely big enough to shit in but hey, I'm sure no-one has ever dug so many holes before so it must mean something, right?!" Complimenting Bioware for doing the bare minimum necessary to be able to claim that they have any sort of mutated C&C between ME1 and 2 is stupid and merely does a disservice for the whole genre as you are giving a free pass for half-assed job.

Shitty analogy. Trenchlines usually do start out as a series of hasty fighting positions (Holes barely big enough for you to shit in for those of you who don't know). We'll discuss the rest of your comment in a later part of the post.

GarfunkeL said:
They hard to go through and rebalance all the encounters for the console version since it was harder to control the gameplay with a controller.

And now you expect me to believe that in DA2 Bio will keep the DA:O style for PC and implement ME2-style for consoleversions? :M

Nope. You are just flat out wrong. On the consoles, most encounters had fewer opponents. This was also due to graphical capabilities as another fine member of this forum pointed out.

It was easier to rebalance than will be required for two different systems but it is still well within bioware's resources to pull off.

Let's see.

They have said they will do this.

They have done something similar (although less resource intensive) in the first game

It is not outside the scope of their resources.

By doing this they will achieve better game reviews and (as they believe) better sales as a result

I'm inclined to believe them.

Also the reason ME dialog was they way it is was because it was written as Bad Cop and Good Cop, But all the choices were still Cop. Not because of the wheel.

DA wasn't written this way and the conversation wheel will not change it to this writing style.

GarfunkeL said:
They ret-conned stuff from ME1 to ME2 and all of those decision touted in ME1 turned out to be worth an email or a 1-minute encounter with an NPC in ME2. Fucking great.

The scale with which they did this hasn't been done before. You ran into it constantly. And, as was stated earlier, 2 is mostly setting up for 3. Also you seem to be discounting how decisions made throughout the game have effects on the final mission. Of course it was make a retarded decision and get a retarded result but I think with better application it could lead to some great things. That's another example of bioware experimenting with reactivity in their games by the way.

I assume your referring to the ammo for the retcon. I'm okay with retcons that improve gameplay drastically.

GarfunkeL said:
Either you design your game so that it can handle a lot of variety in player-actions and choices OR you don't advertise it including such things in the first place. And the former is not impossible, as the fucking JAPANESE have shown us in their fucking P0RN-games FFS:
5-30-20106-07-16AM.jpg

That's 7 different endings, branching and re-connecting lines, quite different plot lines. Check out the LP in Playground. So it's not impossible, it's not incredibly resource-demanding - you only need good designers with enough time and the common sense of not making them slaves of VAs and the marketing & graphixxx-departments.

Really? That's your argument.

Assuming this game plays like most Japanese dating sims (erotic or otherwise) then the only resources they used were drawings and some written dialog. The game also probably isn't very long.

If they could only manage a linear story with that they would have to suck pretty mightily.

When RPG's only have to worry about those aspects and not attempt the game length most fans seem to demand from RPGs is the day that will be the norm.

I bet the combat system in that game sucked anyway.

GarfunkeL said:
For sure since you have so valiantly shown us the proper way of Internet Argumentation. You are a retard for starting one, I am a retard for replying and we are both double retards to have kept it up. So, now that we got that off the way, please answer my points or then just take solace in the fact that even in Retardation, there are somewhat retards and then Super-Retards.

I only strive to teach. You may refer to me as sensei (or The Great Sensei if you prefer) since you seem to be into that Japanese crap. Anyhow, sadly Life is about to interfere and I may be without internet for a while in the future. Also less boredom so I'll be a lot less inclined to post on forums. I'm a lurker by nature. Nothing is certain however and I will do my utmost to be able to continue to provide you guidance that gives you a sense of fulfillment in your day to day RPG lifestyle.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I just hope that this time I won't have to put skill points in my shotgun skill just to be able to fire it. That really ruined any immersion the game could've offered.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Also how you end the allies quests determines what kind of help you get at the final fight. Granted you can win the fight without any help but depending on the help you have can adjust how easy/difficult it is.

Yes, it doesn't matter. Same thing plagues DA:O throughout. Your choices do not actually matter since there is no such thing as a bad choice. Same in ME. I don't count it as meaningful C&C when the player is unable to shoot himself in the foot and every result is purely flavor. Yeah, it's nice that the gameworld reacts even a little to what the player does but games have done that for years. Fuck, even the original Baldur's Gate had random NPC's chatter change after player had advanced the plot. It doesn't matter if the reactivity or C&C is random chatter or the texture of your useless allies - it's all nothing but flavor to me if it doesn't really matter to the game as whole.

So, Bioware hasn't actually improved at all from the original Baldur's Gate on that aspect and have actually decline in other aspects. Why can't I bring my whole fucking party to combat anyway?

Fight battle, Blow all spells making fight easy, rest, Fight battle, Blow all spells making fight easy, Rest.

Please - that's the fault of encounter design and that was only possible in NWN and NWN2 because of retarded desing-decisions. Try any of the Gold Box or Infinity Engine games and enjoy fighting wandering monsters out of spellslots and low on HP. Mechanic wise both 2nd edition and 3.5th edition D&D is good enough and surely better than DA:O which is nothing but a WoW-lite.

Nope. JA2 is still not an RPG.

Hey, if you count ME1 and ME2 as RPGs, then JA2 is an RPG. You have a squad in both, you have a protagonist in both, you have plot in both, you have skills and levels in both, you have inventory in both (well, not in ME2), you had dialogues and quests in both.

I'm not quite sure what you are looking for in a combat system and it seems it might be different than what I look for in one.

Play Temple of Elemental Evil and Knights of the Chalice and Jagged Alliance 2. That should get the message across far better than mere words of mine could ever do.

Like I said there's a lot of exciting things going on in the indie World right now.

Eschalon is a single-char hack/slash as is Torchlight and Din's Curse. I only have KotC while I'm waiting for AoD. I wouldn't really call it "lots of exciting things". So no, switching ice cream parlors isn't really viable.

Shitty analogy.Trenchlines usually do start out as a series of hasty fighting positions

Bah, only if you are surprised or something. Furthermore, you didn't address the meat of the issue even though you said you would - that what's the use of giving Bio a free-pass for a half-assed effort?

On the consoles, most encounters had fewer opponents

Now, I don't know for sure but if the DA engine is similar to Aurora, the encounters are spawned from generic blueprints which take into account the players party levels. It's not much of work to tweak these blueprints to lower the maximum cap on each for the console-versions.

Still, that's not the issue here. The issue is that you resolutely believe that Bioware will somehow both improve the shitty PC-combat while implementing a ME2'esque-combat for the consoles. Which I found ridiculous as it will be axed the moment they hit a hitch at somepoint. And just leaving the "strategic" viewpoint in the PC-version isn't "improving" it. Even that is probably stretching it - what I find probable is that we will get ME2 with swords and the PC-version will be just as dumbed down as the console version except Bioware will try to shroud it with some newspeak-BS crap, like its optimized for gamepads and TVs or somesuch crap.

DA wasn't written this way and the conversation wheel will not change it to this writing style.

Sure it won't. Want to buy a timeshare-condo in the Azores? Beautiful location, cheap price. PM me your bank details, I'll write up a contract.

Yes. Small team, minimal resources and they manage to design a game like that. How come Bioware is unable to do the same? Sure, the scope of their games is larger but so are their teams and budgets. It's because they don't even try since the average consoletard is happily gobbling up the shit and happily paying $60 for it as well

Garfunke said:
Yes. Small team, minimal resources and they manage to design a game like that. How come Bioware is unable to do the same? Sure, the scope of their games is larger but so are their teams and budgets. It's because they don't even try since the average consoletard is happily gobbling up the shit and happily paying $60 for it as well.

He's kinda right on that point, Garf. The target public is used to replaying these games a thousand times, and since it's the only variation they'll get between playthroughs, they expect it, so the cost-benefit is much better. Plus I don't think it's a simple matter of more budget and people, you can't just throw a hundred guys at it and hope theyll work as a team.

While Bio and co. could certainly try harder than changing the model of the npc that congratulates you and some flavor dialog, eroge-style branching is too much (at least for story-centric games like theirs).

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member

Assuming this game plays like most Japanese dating sims (erotic or otherwise) then the only resources they used were drawings and some written dialog. The game also probably isn't very long.

If they could only manage a linear story with that they would have to suck pretty mightily.

When RPG's only have to worry about those aspects and not attempt the game length most fans seem to demand from RPGs is the day that will be the norm.

I bet the combat system in that game sucked anyway.
:pete:
Now that I think about it "Sengoku Rance" is longer then each of the ME games... and with far better combat :smug:

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
GarfunkeL said:

Yes, it doesn't matter. Same thing plagues DA:O throughout. Your choices do not actually matter since there is no such thing as a bad choice. Same in ME. I don't count it as meaningful C&C when the player is unable to shoot himself in the foot and every result is purely flavor. Yeah, it's nice that the gameworld reacts even a little to what the player does but games have done that for years. Fuck, even the original Baldur's Gate had random NPC's chatter change after player had advanced the plot. It doesn't matter if the reactivity or C&C is random chatter or the texture of your useless allies - it's all nothing but flavor to me if it doesn't really matter to the game as whole.

So, Bioware hasn't actually improved at all from the original Baldur's Gate on that aspect and have actually decline in other aspects. Why can't I bring my whole fucking party to combat anyway?

If A branching narrative is the only thing that will please you then you will not be pleased. Reactivity is not limited to just that.

And they have improved greatly since the Balders Gate era. They look set to continue to increase reactivity.

CRPGs will not for any time in the forseeable future be able to replicate the Pen and Paper role playing experience of being able to do anything and have the game react appropriately(depending on the DMs style P&P doesn't necessarily do it either). Even games such as fallout and arcanum are only account for variations the designers anticipated and provided for. For every branch they introduce someone has to sit down and design it, and any company making a big game today is not going to design significant amounts of gameplay that is going to be skipper by a majority of their players. So ultimately you can still only play the story that they created. In general bioware has been increasing the reactivity in ways they can without branching out the story too much. Obsidian is on the same track although I think they generally pull it off better.

The only way to really pull this offl is Emergent gameplay. And there is still a long way to go until that reaches a level anything like it. Farther still because no one is really trying.

GarfunkeL said:

Please - that's the fault of encounter design and that was only possible in NWN and NWN2 because of retarded desing-decisions. Try any of the Gold Box or Infinity Engine games and enjoy fighting wandering monsters out of spellslots and low on HP. Mechanic wise both 2nd edition and 3.5th edition D&D is good enough and surely better than DA:O which is nothing but a WoW-lite.

I was talking about the Goldbox games and Infnity engine. They didn't do a very good job of limiting your resting.

GarfunkeL said:
Hey, if you count ME1 and ME2 as RPGs, then JA2 is an RPG. You have a squad in both, you have a protagonist in both, you have plot in both, you have skills and levels in both, you have inventory in both (well, not in ME2), you had dialogues and quests in both.

Well this is about to enter the definition of an RPG argument (which has happened many times and never reach any kind of conclusion). However I'll concede jagged alliance 2 is an RPG seeing as I can't actually comment on the game having not played it. Though every game I've seen that claims inspiration from it is decidedly not an RPG.

And ME is a lite-RPG. Meeting the ME standard for an RPG is not a high bar.

GarfunkeL said:
Play Temple of Elemental Evil and Knights of the Chalice and Jagged Alliance 2. That should get the message across far better than mere words of mine could ever do.

Try this then. Think about what in it makes them enjoyable to you. What things do you do that make you feel satisfied. See what is similar in these across those different games and that should basically be your answer.

Either that or it's going to have to remain an unanswered question because I'm not currently planning on playing those games any time soon. TOEE for sure. I tried that for a bit and didn't keep going because all it had was combat.

GarfunkeL said:
Eschalon is a single-char hack/slash as is Torchlight and Din's Curse. I only have KotC while I'm waiting for AoD. I wouldn't really call it "lots of exciting things". So no, switching ice cream parlors isn't really viable.

Not in large quantities right now. But mainstream companies are abandoning a lot of niche markets that successful indie developers will be able to move into. One of these niches is hard core CRPGs that fellows like yourself desire. The tools available for few resources are also becoming better all the time.

Also don't discount Dwarf Fortress. If he is able to implement everything he is trying to, adventure mode is going to be pretty close to emergent RPG gameplay.

GarfunkeL said:
Furthermore, you didn't address the meat of the issue even though you said you would - that what's the use of giving Bio a free-pass for a half-assed effort?

It's not half assed. They did what they could without introducing to much variance to the start point of 3. That's why it takes place away from areas and people from the first game. In the third they will have a lot more freedom to show the repercussions from decisions.

And regardless how successful you think it was it was, in fact, bioware experimenting with new ways to do reactivity. Expect to see better iterations of this in DA2 and ME3.

GarfunkeL said:
Now, I don't know for sure but if the DA engine is similar to Aurora, the encounters are spawned from generic blueprints which take into account the players party levels. It's not much of work to tweak these blueprints to lower the maximum cap on each for the console-versions.

Nope each encounter was placed. It had level scaling of course but this was set per encounter. I'm sure they used quite a bit of copy and pasting (no point in duplicating effort). NWN used it's system to make modding easier and account for multiplayer.

GarfunkeL said:
Still, that's not the issue here. The issue is that you resolutely believe that Bioware will somehow both improve the shitty PC-combat while implementing a ME2'esque-combat for the consoles. Which I found ridiculous as it will be axed the moment they hit a hitch at somepoint. And just leaving the "strategic" viewpoint in the PC-version isn't "improving" it. Even that is probably stretching it - what I find probable is that we will get ME2 with swords and the PC-version will be just as dumbed down as the console version except Bioware will try to shroud it with some newspeak-BS crap, like its optimized for gamepads and TVs or somesuch crap.

I don't know why you think they aren't doing two separate systems. It makes business sense. Dragon age sold pretty well. People generally liked the Combat on the PC and it sold very well. They will of course improve it as they try and improve every game system but they will not fundamentally change it. If they change it to a more action game like system they will anger fans and lose sales. People complained about the console versions combat. The inherent problem was it was just the PC's gameplay ported and mapped out to the game pad. So they are making a more action based combat system for the console that caters to the game pad. The PC version already exists. What sense would it make to scrap it and introduce gameplay that is designed around the game pad when you already have a system that people like? This does require some more resources but they were already going to optimize gameplay for the PC and Console (Encounters, GUI and such) so this isn't like it is doubling the production costs of the game or any crazy amount.

With all that given what is hard to believe about it? The fact that you hate bioware and they use lots of buzzwords in their press releases you think they must be lying.

GarfunkeL said:

Sure it won't. Want to buy a timeshare-condo in the Azores? Beautiful location, cheap price. PM me your bank details, I'll write up a contract.

Shepard was a fairly specific character. So he/she was written in a specific way.

This Hawke is not as predefined as shepard. Also if they wrote it like ME dialog instead of DA dialog they would, again, piss off a lot of fans and lose money. Look at how much fury it has caused because people think they will be switching to ME style writing. It doesn't make business sense for them to make that change.

When they changed the combat in ME it made business sense. Most reviews said the game was good but the combat was a little wonky.

DA dialog was something that received very good reviews. They aren't looking to change the writing style. The change is in how the choices are selected. They switched to this due to the fact that they are going with voiced protagonist.

GarfunkeL said:
Yes. Small team, minimal resources and they manage to design a game like that. How come Bioware is unable to do the same? Sure, the scope of their games is larger but so are their teams and budgets. It's because they don't even try since the average consoletard is happily gobbling up the shit and happily paying $60 for it as well

the ratio of X=scope of the game and Y=resources needed is not at all linear. Increases in X leads to huge leaps for Y. The scope of those games is extremely limited. very few subsystems if any. Fairly short game lengths. They are basically choose your own adventure books.

Wait a minute. Choose your own adventure books are written by one author. With one person they can support that much C&C. What the fuck is your excuse bioware!!!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Fomorian said:
You're really confusing multiple quest solutions with multiple quest endings. A glowing example of the former is Fallout where every quest was intended, however imperfectly, to have the option of being able to complete it via stealth, combat, or diplomacy.
Let's not get carried away there.

The Hub's (the biggest town) quests:

- Dispose of Jain
- Dispose of merchant
- Find the missing caravans
- Steal the necklace

Please indicate the multiple ways to get it done, especially via dialogues, and the consequences and other effect on the gameplay that these quests surely come with. For example, Loxley specifically asks you to avoid killing Hightower. What happens if you show your murderous nature and kill him? Or if you already killed him prior to talking to Loxley?

What are the consequences of doing Kane's bidding vs taking him out? Surely the game acknowledges your choice? No? What do you mean no? How can such a thing be possible? It's the holy Fallout we're talking about, a game where every - every fucking quest has multiple ways of completing it and far reaching consequences.

Dragon Age's quest variations consist overwhelmingly of multiple quest endings.
Nope. Feel free to read my DA quest design article for instant enlightenment.

I think this is where the C&C fags get into trouble because thanks to their worship of a retarded buzzword...
Buzzwords are words like extreme, epic, next-generation, etc. They describe nothing and mean nothing. Reading that game X is epic tells you absolutely nothing.

Choices & consequences, much like turn-based or isometric, refers to a very specific design that can not be interpreted in different ways. A game is either turn-based or not; it either has choices (or multiple quests solutions) or not; the gameworld either reacts to those choices or not.

We can talk about consequences being rare and/or weak, but in this case we shouldn't display double standards and pretend that everything in Fallout was glorious and had far reaching consequences. In fact most things you did in Fallout affected nothing but the endgame narrative, kind of like the much hated Alpha Protocol's choices.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom