Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play - Dragon Age: Origins (finished)

Whom to choose as a companion at the endgame. Options are mutually exclusive.

• Alistair

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Loghain

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters

lightbane

Arcane
Brother None said:
God the final areas are so boring, and take for-friggin' ever.

Morrigan bebby is obviously a sequel hook, but I wonder if some characters aren't being sequelbaited as well. I think we're supposed to be really curious about what Sandal is, and shit.

Next page?

Actually, it would be fun if that retard that managed to kill so many darkspawn was a cruel insult to the player's intelligence due the shitty combat (that even a retard can dominate :P )

Unfortunately that would be too complex for Biowhore to do.

Mystary!

Arcane
Speaking of half-dwarves, I couldn't help but think they only added elves and dwarves to please their fanbase, because the only difference seemed to be cosmetic. They felt out of place, not thought through, they didn't try to explain why they existed in the first place, and the fact that they were a different race added nothing. The setting would have been alot more interesting, and original even, had their only been human cultures instead. For instance the qunari seemed alot more alien even thou they looked like humans.

Radisshu

Prophet
Well, during my time as a Bioware pseudo-fan (becauseof BG2), I actually followed the DA development through the bio forums,and it seems elves and dwarfs were there from the beginning.

Gaider talked a lot about putting a "twist" to normal fantasy archetypes, but playing DA, it feels ridiculously untwisted and stereotypical.

And all the "lulzy" humour just reminds me of bad message board jokes.

EDIT: I actually liked Sten, though. He was pretty cool. Even though they had to add "lulzy" dialouge where he talks about playing "I spy" and really liking cookies.

Mystary!

Arcane
I liked Sten alot too, and that's probably because he was fairly original. I also enjoyed the dwarven society, but they were nothing like your typical dwarves so they could just as easily have been a human race. Making them dwarves just cheapens the whole feel of the setting imo.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
fyezall said:
I liked Sten alot too, and that's probably because he was fairly original. I also enjoyed the dwarven society, but they were nothing like your typical dwarves so they could just as easily have been a human race. Making them dwarves just cheapens the whole feel of the setting imo.

Maybe the dwarves shoulda been something else entirely. Hell, maybe the dwarves should've all been golems, former dwarves, with the dwarven race extinct.

Also yeah, Sten and the Qunari weren't bad. Not great either, but not bad. He wasn't very consistently written.

Kthan75

Liturgist
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I really liked the political take on the dwarves, it felt fresh.

But it was the only thing that made them different from "typical" dwarves. The rest, with them being stone crafters and living underground/caves is there.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
One could claim the background of them not being magic users is original, Kthan, not the usual genetics but rather the exposure to whatsitsname. It does give an opening for above-ground dwarves being able to use magic after some generations. But it's still the tired old "no magic for dwarves!" stuff.

Nickless said:
Move on to the next page please

Please.

Twinkle

Liturgist
Here!

4649279934_43a6e06644_b.jpg

OH GAWD ITS HUUGE!

4648663229_dc55e833f2_b.jpg

4649280158_98292e8073_b.jpg

Riordan's strike was at least somewhat successful - dragon's wing is clearly damaged.

4649280268_d5fa193f4f_b.jpg

Freeze!

4649280502_7804f57dee_b.jpg

4648663811_b0483cb385_b.jpg

Btw there are ballistas scattered all over the place but we are too cool to cheat.

4649280874_1aac80a396_b.jpg

4648664119_36f9fb3e62_b.jpg

Scalie crapped out and summoned his reinforcements. Time to deploy mechs golems.

4648664297_bfcbe4f510_b.jpg

4648664447_7ac18cf9b1_b.jpg

Your minions won't help you.

4648664673_4294bf31fd_b.jpg

4649281728_a04901f06e_b.jpg

4648664989_57af2034c8_b.jpg

YYYEEEEEESSSS!!!

4649282026_b4ef9bc86b_b.jpg

4648665225_56dbba50ee_b.jpg

Bro, why did you pick up that shit? :? You had your own pimped stuff.

4649282240_a5580ae030_b.jpg

4649282348_ff8cf0a754_b.jpg

4649282446_9e1a6e6490_b.jpg

Strike with the righteous FFFFUUUUU!

4648665657_36789d0b6d_b.jpg

And let the particles fly!

4648665767_640b98a206_b.jpg

4648666819_fcc9d2843c_b.jpg

4648666931_364b3bdb9f_b.jpg

4649283994_89c32c2e79_b.jpg

That's the big explosion? This game is not quite as good as Fallout 3! :decline:

4649284136_0883ff4f3f_b.jpg

Blood and thunder, victory at Denerim.

4648667281_874b901c54_b.jpg

4648667405_79f63382db_b.jpg

4648667505_6f4b9a58b7_b.jpg

Cut

4649284528_acf92c3f5d_b.jpg

4649284688_38aafbf2a1_b.jpg

4649284790_9fa89412ca_b.jpg

4649296902_3494c85169_b.jpg

4648679821_ecd7c8b4d4_b.jpg

4649297114_eb63202f08_b.jpg

4648680057_f54c4030cf_b.jpg

4648680207_383ffea978_b.jpg

facequeenanora.jpg
Anora: My friends, we are gathered to celebrate those responsible for our victory.

facequeenanora.jpg
Anora: Of those who stood against the darkspawn siege of Denerim, there is one in particular who deserves commendation.

facequeenanora.jpg
Anora: The one who led the charge against the archdemon and killed it remains with us still, an inspiration to all he saved that day.

4648680347_20f9568d31_b.jpg

facequeenanora.jpg
Anora: Ladies and gentlemen, I present the hero of Ferelden, the first Grey Warden to defeat the Blight since Garahel four centuries ago.

4648680463_fe782f3166_b.jpg

facequeenanora.jpg
Anora: Grey Warden, it is hard to imagine how you could have aided Ferelden more. I think it only appropriate that I return the favor.

facequeenanora.jpg
Anora: Is there any boon you might request of Ferelden's queen?

facebron.jpg
Bro: A title and the riches to go with it, I think.

facequeenanora.jpg
Anora: My father's teyrnir in Gwaren stands empty, as does his estate, and I gladly pass both onto you.

facequeenanora.jpg
Anora: Let it also be known that the arling of Amaranthine, once the land of Arl Howe, is now granted to the Grey Wardens.

facequeenanora.jpg
Anora: There they can rebuild, following the example of those who went before them.

facequeenanora.jpg
Anora: What are your plans? Will you remain with the Grey Wardens?

facebron.jpg
Bro: I think I will return to Orzammar.

facequeenanora.jpg
Anora: Of course. Know that you are always welcome in court, should you decide to return.

facequeenanora.jpg
Anora: There is a group of eager Fereldan citizens waiting outside to get a look at their hero.

facequeenanora.jpg
Anora: I suggest you make at least a brief appearance before they storm the gate. (Chuckles) Just tell the guard at the door when you are ready.

4648680645_a6256ecab8_b.jpg

Let's say goodbye to everyone.

faceloghainmad.jpg
Loghain: So it appears that Riordan was wrong.

faceloghainmad.jpg
Loghain: I find it difficult to believe that he deliberately misled us. Have you another explanation for what happened?

facebron.jpg
Bro: Why do you care? You're alive.

faceloghainmad.jpg
Loghain: Surely mere survival is not the only thing that is important. Still... I suppose Ferelden has been saved either way. I should be content, yes?

faceloghainmad.jpg
Loghain: Still, the Orlesian Grey Wardens have been persistent in their questions. I intend to keep any thoughts on the matter to myself.

faceloghainmad.jpg
Loghain: I understand you are leaving soon. I have been tapped to lead the Grey Warden recruitment efforts here in Ferelden.

faceloghainmad.jpg
Loghain: Anora's influence, no doubt, I would have preferred she not interfered.

facebron.jpg
Bro: You deserve far worse.

faceloghainmad.jpg
Loghain: Tell her that.

faceloghainmad.jpg
Loghain: Allow me to say before I go that you have earned my respect. Odd that I ended up here, saying that, but there it is.

faceloghainmad.jpg
Loghain: Return to your celebration. Perhaps we shall meet again.

4649298066_c550c4860f_b.jpg

4649765766_9da8620aa8_t.jpg
Gorim: Ha! Glorious!

Gorim: You've really showed these humans something. Took down the Blight practically single-handed!

facebron.jpg
Bro: All in a day's work.

Gorim: (Laughs) Exactly! Give these tall folk something to chew on the next time they badmouth a dwarf, that's what.

Gorim: I'm not just here to witness the whole human spectacle, however. The Assembly contacted me with a message for you.

Gorim: I guess they figured once a manservant, always a manservant. Ahhh, I don't mind. Thing is, we've both been given leave to return to Orzammar.

facebron.jpg
Bro: Both of us?

Gorim: Apparently. I went down with you, seems I rise back up with you too.

Gorim: Seems Harrowmont is mighty grateful. He's declared you heir to House Aeducan, full rights restored for us both.

Gorim: Not only that, but the Assembly is considering naming you a Paragon. A Paragon! In our time!

facebron.jpg
Bro: So I'm an Aeducan again.

Gorim: As am I. And if you become a Paragon, that will make you the only one alive, by my count.

Gorim: Not a bad change from an exiled "murderer", no? Congratulations, my friend.

Gorim: I heard you weren't planning on staying... think you might head back home? Lots of opportunities for you now.

facebron.jpg
Bro: That's the plan.

Gorim: Good. And I would be proud to take up my old position, if you'll have me.

Gorim: At any rate, I'll let the humans get back to their dwarf worship. (Chuckles) Still makes me smile to hear them talk.

4648680981_5e82c9f4e7_b.jpg

facezevran.jpg
Zevran: I will be relieved when all this pomp and ceremony is done.

facezevran.jpg
Zevran: Such events are perfect opportunities for assassins, after all. I can't help but expect the Crows to appear at any moment. Which would be a welcome break, mind you.

facebron.jpg
Bro: A bloodbath sounds like a fun idea.

facezevran.jpg
Zevran: You see? This is why I like you. Always game for a little fun.

facezevran.jpg
Zevran: You know, it does occur to me that staying in one place is only going to invite the Crows to find me that much quicker. While fun, that might eventually get... complicated.

facezevran.jpg
Zevran: You said earlier that you were planning on leaving soon. Is that true?

facebron.jpg
Bro: That is indeed what I said.

facezevran.jpg
Zevran: And would you consider some company?

facezevran.jpg
Zevran: You tend to get up to interesting things. You meet interesting people and then you kill them. I'm game to tag along, if you are.

facebron.jpg
Bro: I'd be happy for the company.

facezevran.jpg
Zevran: And I promise not to get you into too much trouble. Well... no more than you get me into, anyhow.

facezevran.jpg
Zevran: (Chuckles) Well, then. Since we are going to be leaving together, we can speak after you have been sufficiently paraded in front of the populace.

facezevran.jpg
Zevran: Don't worry, I'll keep an eye on you and make sure no one gets a clear shot. Not without paying me a great deal of coin, anyhow.

4649345344_216d028e11_b.jpg

faceoghren.jpg
Oghren: Humans have a better taste for spirits than I thought. Heh. The ale up here is actually good.

faceoghren.jpg
Oghren: Orzammar ale tastes like dirt in comparison. Probably because they put dirt in it. Go figure.

facebron.jpg
Bro: Think you might go back to Orzammar?

faceoghren.jpg
Oghren: Mmph. I don't know. Maybe eventually.

faceoghren.jpg
Oghren: I'm getting used to that big sky up there. And I'm thinking I might just look up Felsi again... see where that goes?

facebron.jpg
Bro: That's uncharacteristically optimistic of you.

faceoghren.jpg
Oghren: Yes, well, you know me. I'm all about the cheery, romantic optimism.

faceoghren.jpg
Oghren: Ah, well! Enough babbling. That pot-bellied son of a whore Teagan said I'd pass out before drinking an entire barrel of pickle juice -- I aim to prove him wrong.

facebron.jpg
Bro: Don't ever change.

faceoghren.jpg
Oghren: (Laughs) Who, me?

faceoghren.jpg
Oghren: It's been good traveling with you, Warden. Don't get lost in the
shuffle, now.

4648728443_001a8ba61e_b.jpg

facesten.jpg
Sten: They call you "hero?" I have not heard it used before, but I think I understand the intent.

facesten.jpg
Sten: The arishok on occasion has declared a qunari to be qunoran vehl, one who serves as an example to others.

facesten.jpg
Sten: Such examples are always made after their death, however. A death in service to the Qun. A living qunoran vehl would be too proud.

facebron.jpg
Bro: Nothing wrong with a little pride.

facesten.jpg
Sten: I would argue, had you not ended a Blight. For such an accomplishment, there may be allowances.

facesten.jpg
Sten: What the human custom has in common with our own is that the declaration of a qunoral vehl is a cause for much celebration.

facesten.jpg
Sten: It is one of few occasions when the qunari are permitted to engage in... revelry. There is imbibing of spirits, public chanting, meditations abandoned... it is madness.

facebron.jpg
Bro: That would be quite a sight.

facesten.jpg
Sten: It is... interesting. It can take days for the Ben-Hassrath to restore order. There may be even executions.

facesten.jpg
Sten: I suppose I should tell you... I have decided to return to my people. Your quest is done, and thus so is my reason for accompanying you.

facebron.jpg
Bro: The darkspawn are still a threat.

facesten.jpg
Sten: But the Blight is done. I have an answer for the arishok than no longer requires the question.

facesten.jpg
Sten: It must be said: You found my sword and gave me a chance to restore my honor. I owe you a great debt.

facebron.jpg
Bro: And I will collect on that, one day.

facesten.jpg
Sten: Should I be in a position to repay, I will. Whatever is asked.

facesten.jpg
Sten: Perhaps I shall see you again one day. Until then, may you always find the path you seek. Farewell, kadan.

4649345650_f83b18fb95_b.jpg

4648738585_1af3df8ac0_t.jpg
Guard: Are you ready, my lord? The crowds outside are getting restless.

facebron.jpg
Bro: Yes, I'm ready. Let's go.

4648738585_1af3df8ac0_t.jpg
Guard: Right. I'll take you there now. Follow me.

THE END*

Well, not quite.

lightbane

Arcane
Well done man :cool: I admire your tenacity and will to endure this shit. The ending was lame and predictable as ever (now I wonder if for The New shit 2 the cursed child will be named Damian, and that you somehow will be that child and shit). Will you do Awakening now?

Banal
Shit
Boring

I especially liked how the dwarven endings came so out of the blue... I mean, there was no way we could know what Harrowmonts policies were when we chose to support him.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
herostratus said:
Banal
Shit
Boring

I especially liked how the dwarven endings came so out of the blue... I mean, there was no way we could know what Harrowmonts policies were when we chose to support him.

Definitively BSB, as you say, although I did like the Dwarf origins.

Look at Gorim, he would have made a better npc than any of the other guys, same from Leske from the common origin, but instead you get the gay elf and all those boring characters. I mean shit. You play the first 1-2 hours of the origin, it's cool, and then YOU HAVE TO KILL THE ORCS OH NO. Fucking ruined opportunity right there, a whole game about being a casteless citizen trying to make his way into the world, or a noble playing politics, would have been 10 times better than what we have here. Fuck I hate rpgs

Mystary!

Arcane
Bro, why did you pick up that shit? You had your own pimped stuff.
Hm that didn't happen to my mage, but that's because I let Loghain make the final blow. I wonder if a mage still would've picked up a sword thou...
Oh, and thanks for the LP, well done!

ps. did you click on the npc's after speaking with them? Sten says: Where is the cake? I was told there would be cake. The cake is a lie.

Erebus

Arcane
Thanks a lot for the LP ! Can't say it made me want to give the game a try, though. While there seems to be some interesting elements here and there, the general story and most of the quests seem rather boring, and I'm pretty sure there's too much combat to my taste.

lightbane

Arcane
fyezall said:
Bro, why did you pick up that shit? You had your own pimped stuff.
Hm that didn't happen to my mage, but that's because I let Loghain make the final blow. I wonder if a mage still would've picked up a sword thou...
Oh, and thanks for the LP, well done!

ps. did you click on the npc's after speaking with them? Sten says: Where is the cake? I was told there would be cake. The cake is a lie.

Lame, 4th-wall breaking references to other games tend to be uber-shitty unless well-done (not here though). Also, I believe that if you're retarded enough to deal the final blow yourself (or you do the "Morrigan trick" your character picks up that sword for just some EXTREME HARDCORE ACTION, even if he was a puny mage that could barely lift his staff).

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Didn't you destroy the ashes?

Yes. The only time I finished this game was with an elven mage. Frail-looking, thin thing. He EPICALLY picked up the sword, POWERFULLY jumping and slashing the dragon. It actually made me laugh out loud, it was so inappropriate. A powerful blood mage with arcane offensive magics, and he picks up some stupid sword? Sense, how?

Anyway: banal boring bullshit. What a shit game blahblahblah etc etc...
Sorry guys, the game's just not bad. Not every faction and character is that strong, but the writing overall is solid, and a lot of its RPG mechanics, particularly in choices offered, are fine. It's not game of the decade, but it's pretty good.

I never expected you to finish it, Twinkle, since you seemed to be getting a bit bored with the hackfest, and the final areas are horrible designed hackfests (though some of the fights are nice and challenging). Good stuff, good job, an true hero.

Your endurance for the Banal, Shit, Boring is remarkable. Well done.

To anyone that thinks this game looks good without playing it, imagine if between every post in which the story was advanced, there was 5 pages of combat. This combat seems moderately interesting for the first hour, after that you realize that there are approximately 4 different types of enemies (Mage/Rogue/Warrior/Boss, and I'm being generous because facing Rogues is 99% the same as facing Warriors) and they will always be leveled to your strength. If you want to replicate the feeling, play Arcanum and do Black Mountain mines 20 times straight. The rest of the game is decent, but spending 95% of it on horrible combat is not.

Hieromancer

Educated
Nicely done.

I must say though, there are LPs that make me want to play a game more and those that make me want to play a game less, and this is most certainly the latter. I feel like there isn't much for me to really get a kick out of that I didn't already see here. Maybe I'll pick it up someday if I'm sufficiently bored.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom