Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So about them JRPGs...

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Awor Szurkrarz said:
This game needs rape. Lots of it.
It has rape...
All these l'ciel stuff is about insertion, then the eye opens.

It had tentacle rape in first two hours when they did a tactical mistake and saved theirs lives. They killed several thousand soldiers and civilians, earned eternity, and were only supposed to defeat a Ragnarok.

(Too bad story takes hike downhill in the middle.)

Felix said:
I always find it's strange that there are so few Japanese in JRPG, and even those few Japanese don't look like Japanese, conspiracy?
When these games are about different country than Japan, why should they show anything close to any ethnic on Earth?

Sirus said:
vanille.jpg

And consoletards think those low poly models are "awesum" graphics.

Well made low poly model with great artistic direction is superior to any model with polygons just for polygons. Look at DA models, they sucked.

Actually had Lighting been in DA, and someone other made DA story as well... It might be groundbreaking RPG...

You might say about FF XIII whatever you want, but art direction and work with colors are top notch.

Annie Carlson said:
If you haven't played Persona 4 yet, remedy that shit forthwith.
What about P3 FES on the emulator? Or what about FF XII on the emulator?

deuxhero

Arcane
Luzur said:
snip

ive played these, do they count?

No, as you have the GBA "port" of Tales of Phantasia, which is quite horrible (for those that don't know this is a port that 1.has unplayably slow battles 2.a few noticable translations issues (though a few of the "issues" are not copying scenes that were improvised by the fan translators, but Ragnarok->Kangaroo is real) 3.had graphics over compensate for the original GBA's dark screen among other things).

Unless it has "Shin Megami Tensei" in the title (or will in the western release) or is by Nintendo (Mother/Earthbound, the Mario RPGs), it generally isn't worth playing (or falls under sRPG instead).

I remember the huge number of people complaining that "Mint has that quiet elegance about her, but I bet Arche fucks like a tiger" was "removed", until someone noted that it was added as a joke in place of some banal comment Klarth makes on the weather or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1S5y_4joQE

gba version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSlXSRu7 ... re=related

they do censor the alcohol, though

Edit: might as well put it here instead of ´posting a new message. I was playing this Zoids Saga for the gba. It's one of those horrible crossovers that don't make any sense unless yuou follow the series (I don't), but it's mildly entertaining. Turn based combat where you can customize your robots (nothing really different from equipping humans), but lots of stats.

918731_20040927_screen022.jpg

Also, dinobots

zoids_legacy_profilelarge.jpg

There's this Metal Saga for the PS2 too. So far I'm enjoying it. There doesn't seem to be a super epic plot nor any urge to progress, just "get out there and make money". Also, I already reached two premature endings. Telling your mom you don't really want to embark on an adventure and just wanna settle down as a mechanic = game over, plus a story about how you led a boring life. Telling your childhood friend you should just get married already = game over, plus a story about how you two eventually got divorced).

metal_saga_002.jpg

Also, americans

s28153_ps2_4.jpg

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I enjoy the combat in Resonance of fate, the story and everything else is failry bleh though.

lightbane

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
There's this Metal Saga for the PS2 too. So far I'm enjoying it. There doesn't seem to be a super epic plot nor any urge to progress, just "get out there and make money". Also, I already reached two premature endings. Telling your mom you don't really want to embark on an adventure and just wanna settle down as a mechanic = game over, plus a story about how you led a boring life. Telling your childhood friend you should just get married already = game over, plus a story about how you two eventually got divorced).

metal_saga_002.jpg

Also, americans

s28153_ps2_4.jpg

This Metal Saga looks interesting. Any more info before I decide to check if it's worth of not downloading?

It seems kind of barebones, tbh. There's no actual story (at least, until where I am, though there seems to be something happening), you just wander through the map finding towns, searching for new weapons and vehicles / parts and hunting the occasional bounty. You can customize skills for your characters, but they come with a few unique ones so you can decide on which one you like most (example: mechanic guy can heal your tank, mechanic girl can paralyse enemy machines).

And you spend a lot of time on combat. It has a speed up function so you can zip through trash encounters, which is needed because there can be plenty of them (I think you can buy "repelents" to help with that). But it's very possible to die in those, and most of the time I am desperately looking for heal or more armor for the tanks. If I grind, I have to do it near towns so I can go back in case I get caught by surprise, or find some enemy which self-destructs / has outrageous attack. But it doesn't feel cheap.

You can use tanks and other vehicles for combat and moving on map. You can buy or find parts and weapons (primary, secondary and special ones, the shittier ones have unlimited ammo), and there are garages in towns where you can manage them. You can even rent some if you're low in money, but you have to pay a % of the gold you gain in each encouter. Some enemies are easily dispatched by vehicles, others make them p. much a necessity. You can also have some characters on foot and others in vehicles.

There seems to be plenty of weapons with interesting effects to keep things interesting. Stun batons, paralysing boomerang that hits entire row (but can heal enemies that absorb shock) rifles that hit everyone, pistol that hits one enemy, sword that hits only a single nearby enemy, but is strong, etc. I think I once had a chainsaw too. I am usually very happy when I find new armor / weapons, sometimes it's really needed (instead of just making grinding faster).

Quests consist of "go there and kill this monster / guy for money" and "lets preoceed to X area". Not much different than other jrpgs, though.

You get to choose most of your party (except main character who must be on party at all times), you have a role and some predetermined guys to fill it, but you can change anytime by talking to the one outside the party - so far, I've met "mechanic" and "dog" (four dogs to choose from, I prefer the healer one). I believe the cowgirl above counts as either "strong guy" or "shooter".

Overall, not much different than other jrpgs, but this one doesn't contain the usual bs stories I may not care about, so I'm enjoying it.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
KalosKagathos said:
Several came out for PS3 recently: FF XIII, White Knight Chronicles, Resonance of Fate, Last Rebellion and Star Ocean: The Last Hope. Any of them worth bothering with? I don't really care if the story is dumb (unless it's offensively dumb, like the one in Enchanted Arms or FF IX), as long as combat is interesting and the world is fun to explore. Any of the games I listed deliver in these areas?

In before C&C fags making "wrong forum" jokes, herp derp.

Those are all horrible, terrible games. Demon's Souls is still the one and only good RPG for the PS3. If you want to play weeaboo RPGs then I suggest you just stick to the PS2 for now. It has the best ones.

Razz

Educated
I heard Resonance of Fate was good, but I haven't played it so what do I know. Apparently challenging and complex combat system which is quite original, but the rest of it is quite JRPG (although it does have a steampunk setting which you may appreciate). It's made by Tri-Ace who also did the shitty Star Ocean: Last Hope, but it's about the exact opposite of that (and FFXIII which is in the same vein). Tri-Ace actually have some pretty decent ideas sometimes, see Valkyrie Profile.

foxfire29

Novice
The definition of wisdom:

Face it guys, there are no real rpgs. None can fit the definition.

Add roguelikes to that list lol :P ^^

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom