Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News FO: New Vegas tidbits

Melcar

Arcane
It can't possibly be any worse than FO3... right?

Clockwork Knight said:
That's a good thing. Instead of half assed shootery we'll maybe have an ok shootery.
My thoughts exactly. I just recently bought FO3. The compromise between straight FPS and turn-based combat (VATS) didn't work. Combined with the really sub-par writing and plot, it totally ruined the game for me. I'd even go so far as to say I thought it wasn't really good for what it was at all.

If however Obsidian somehow fixes the shooting part (I wish they could just get rid of VATS completely) and provides significantly better plot and dialogues, I'm sold.

Cassidy

Arcane
Any gameplay "improvement" that does not reduce or remove the MESOLARPS aspect of hiking through the bland empty wasteland will be pointless.

Alas, any attempt to improve upon shit will be pointless. This is like trying to make an expansion pack for Atari's E.T.

Got my issue of PC Gamer, some excerpts from it:

-Reputation is apparently far more important than Karma this time around. A quote:

"If you murder people in secret, your reputation doesn't go down because no one knows you did anything, so you can maintain a good reputation but your karma has tanked really heavily. Karma does influence some things, but reputation is usually what most people in the world base their opinion of you on."

-The getup the NCR soldiers are wearing is modified LAPD Riot Gear. Not really sure why, you'd think they were one of the few factions that could outfit trained goons with Combat Armor. Especially since they're expanding the resource base.

-The weapon upgrade system was directly inspired by 'Weapon Mod Kits' as mentioned by Sawyer. So alongside Hardcore Mode we pretty much have proof they pay attention to modding efforts.

-A quote on C&C:

"Rounding up the posse and helping the townspeople makes a stand against the bandits earns you acceptance among the townsfolk and bonuses like store discounts. Joining up with the attackers makes anyone left alive in Goodsprings hate you, they'll either attack you on sight, hire mercenaries to track you down, or offer tribute to buy their safety."

-The speculation section:

Will this Brotherhood of Steel be closer to the original, closed-off group?

"Avellone let it slip that you had to be born into the Brotherhood-no joiners. Our guess is this Brotherhood will be hardcore, and much less friendly to outsiders."

With the return of Fallout 2's Gecko's, will the gecko-skinning perk also come back to let us earn a few extra caps from selling pelts?

"Our guess? Damn near certain."

The doctor that patches you up and gives you his pip-boy also gives you a Vault 21 suit. Will you visit Vault 21?

"It wouldn't be Fallout without a Vault or two to explore. And that suit might just get you in the front door."

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
That's PC Gamer US, right Genma? The scans of that one passed by NMA (removed now), but I don't recall a speculation section. That from elsewhere in the magazine?

Brother None said:
That's PC Gamer US, right Genma? The scans of that one passed by NMA (removed now), but I don't recall a speculation section. That from elsewhere in the magazine?

It's the very last page of the New Vegas article, page 60. A side-bar entitled "The Guessing Game".

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The scans I have only go to 58. That explains why I didn't see it.

Anything else of interest in page 59-60?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Droog White Smile said:
WAAAHHH ITS NOT TB ISO ANYMORE FALLOUT IS NOW RUINED FOREVER WAAAAHHHH

No no you got it all wrong. It was ruined when Bethesda did it. Now that Obsidian does the same it's gonna be the best tr00 Fallout gaem evar

Brother None said:
The scans I have only go to 58. That explains why I didn't see it.

Anything else of interest in page 59-60?

Page 59 is a full-page ad for AMD based computer systems, while page 60 contains 'The Guessing Game', and standard info about ARCHIMEDES II and Tabitha.

So aside from the speculation, no.

Luzur

Good Sir
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
Got my issue of PC Gamer, some excerpts from it:

-Reputation is apparently far more important than Karma this time around. A quote:

"If you murder people in secret, your reputation doesn't go down because no one knows you did anything, so you can maintain a good reputation but your karma has tanked really heavily. Karma does influence some things, but reputation is usually what most people in the world base their opinion of you on."

-The getup the NCR soldiers are wearing is modified LAPD Riot Gear. Not really sure why, you'd think they were one of the few factions that could outfit trained goons with Combat Armor. Especially since they're expanding the resource base.

-The weapon upgrade system was directly inspired by 'Weapon Mod Kits' as mentioned by Sawyer. So alongside Hardcore Mode we pretty much have proof they pay attention to modding efforts.

-A quote on C&C:

"Rounding up the posse and helping the townspeople makes a stand against the bandits earns you acceptance among the townsfolk and bonuses like store discounts. Joining up with the attackers makes anyone left alive in Goodsprings hate you, they'll either attack you on sight, hire mercenaries to track you down, or offer tribute to buy their safety."

-The speculation section:

Will this Brotherhood of Steel be closer to the original, closed-off group?

"Avellone let it slip that you had to be born into the Brotherhood-no joiners. Our guess is this Brotherhood will be hardcore, and much less friendly to outsiders."

With the return of Fallout 2's Gecko's, will th gecko-skinning perk also come back to let us earn a few extra caps from selling pelts?

"Our guess? Damn near certain."

The doctor that patches you up and gives you his pip-boy also gives you a Vault 21 suit. Will you visit Vault 21?

"It wouldn't be Fallout without a Vault or two to explore. And that suit might just get you in the front door."

hmmm....i guess i'll remove it from an inventory, as usual.

Multi-headed Cow

Genma:TheDestroyer said:
Clockwork Knight said:
One question, do we know if there's gonna be tons of DLC and the like?

I haven't heard anything mentioned. More importantly, I wonder if it'll support mods.
This is what has me kind of annoyed. I wish it wasn't stand alone, just so already existing FO3 mods would be compatible and it increases the resources available to modders. Stand alone has me thinking FO3 and FNV will have different textures and objects so you can't take the better FO3 mods directly int FNV most likely.

Assuming they allow modding at all.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Melcar said:
It can't possibly be any worse than FO3... right?

agreed... well dialogue will be MUCH better.... other than that, and big brother Todd breathing down your neck... at least you will not HAVE TO find and save your Dad.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Jaesun said:
well dialogue will be MUCH better....
FO2 really did improve on FO1 in that regards

other than that, and big brother Todd breathing down your neck...
BETHESDA IS FORCING OBSIDIAN TO MAKE NEW VEGAS AT A GUN POINT

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom