Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

You have 1 new private message

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
So once upon a time there was this message in the forum header when you got a new private message and it said "You have X new private message/s". I'm thinking that's a really nice feature and I'd really like if it returned.

... or is this your attempt to save bandwidth by reducing the page load by about 33 bytes?

EEVIAC

Erudite
If you mouse over the Messages button, it tells you if you have any messages. Otherwise, you get an email FROM SAINT HIMSELF to say you've got a message.

The email method works better anyway. I remember posting about not being able to see the actual rolls in ToEE, pre-release, and someone from Troika (?) PM'ed me about the hyperlinks. I only read it weeks later, after the discussion was over.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I tend to agree. It would be swell if it has a number beside it or a blinking light dealie or SOMETHING to let you know you have a private message.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Mebbe a gay mascot like those of Microsoft programs hopping around telling you have a new message?

Why not make it so the PM button in the top bar turns golden, or flashes golden (changing smoothly from the gray tone to the golden one and back), and says "You have new messages".

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
EEVIAC said:
If you mouse over the Messages button, it tells you if you have any messages. Otherwise, you get an email FROM SAINT HIMSELF to say you've got a message.
I usually turn the e-mail thing off though and the pop-up window doesn't work because Mozilla is nice and blocks nasty pop-ups for me. I just like being able to read the "You have a message" thing. Nice 'n simple.

Nobody on the Codex staff actually has the capability to do this though, do they? I mean, I could do it... not that I'm offering but I could, you know.

Ausir

Arcane
You can unblock pop-ups for the Codex. It's not like we have any pop-up ads.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Just unblock pop-ups for the Codex, as Ausir said, for the time being.

I'll try to work the 'you have X new messages' thing back into the layout.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
In the "phpBB/templates/rpgcodex/" directory, find the 'overall_header.tpl' file. Download it.
Put this code in somewhere appropriate:

<!-- BEGIN switch_user_logged_in -->
<a href="{U_PRIVATEMSGS}" class="mainmenu">{PRIVATE_MESSAGE_INFO}</a>
<!-- END switch_user_logged_in -->

Save the file and upload it. That will put in your private message notice.

... and where did quick reply go? Eesh. I haven't been here enough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom