Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X2 -vs- Freelancer

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Hardwar is the only space trader I've enjoyed as much as I liked Elite.

That said, I'm itching for more EVN like games. MORE.. MOOOOOOOOORE. The problem with most of the EVN-like games that people make is that they're way, way too hard. There's a reason I saved up from trading and bought a piraty carrier in EVN as opposed to one of those sleek combat fighter vehicles.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
You know what I want? GTA in space. With a ton of upgrade options (e.g. a permanent ship) and special abilities in either a skill tree, or from the ship upgrades themselves.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
CrusaderTemplar said:
soooo..... wat about Nexus The Jupiter Incident???

Nexus is an awesome game, but like Seven pointed out, it's all about strategy and tactics. There's no freeform exploration or business style simulations to be found there. What is there however is one kick ass mission based strategy title that not only has wonderful gameplay, but beautiful visuals as well that surprisingly play extremely good on a low end system. Helluva game. :)

Oyarsa

Novice
Vindictive vindaloo

Exitium said:
You know what I want? GTA in space. With a ton of upgrade options (e.g. a permanent ship) and special abilities in either a skill tree, or from the ship upgrades themselves.

Both should be available. One idea for the skill tree could be use of basic skills or ship components cause skill tree items to become available. Basically as you practice something you eventually get the opportunity to upgrade it in new ways or simply become more proficient at the basic level. Example, if I practice playing a musical instrument I can after gaining basic proficiency choose to hone those skills by perfecting the same few basic pieces or I can put some of my time into learning new pieces that involve greater complexity and help me learn new approaches.

Fez

Erudite
Exitium said:

That would be good. I expect that we shall see more games take inspiration from GTA in the future. It's too successful and highly rated to ignore.

shasla5

Novice
Freelancer, though almost simple enough to make it on the xbox, had a beautiful universe. Nobody seems to mention the joy of exploring all the various systems. I have never had more fun in a game in my life because of that. X2's sectors were nothing but small boxes with a random (albeit pretty) background slapped on, and a bunch of stations floating in an unsitely blob. Freelancer had ice clouds, asteroid fields, radiation zones, neutron stars, killing fields, strange, errie Edge Worlds, and a decent story. Yes, the story was decent. The environment more than made up for the lack of a horibbly utilized dynamic economy in my opinion. At least in Freelancer, the economy made common sense.
That said, at least Egosoft gives a damn about their fans, unlike DA, and most certainly not microsoft.

obediah

Erudite
PennyAnte said:
Exitium said:
You know what I want? GTA in space.
Absolutely. Perfectly said.

The closest I can think of to this is The Gap Series by Stephen Donaldson. Oh wait, you both probably wanted a video game rather than book. And you probably wanted absolute freedom, rather than absolute freedom to rape, steal, and kill.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom