Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM!!!!!!!!111!!!oneone

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
<strong>[ Editorial ]</strong>

<p><a href="http://kotaku.com/386976/ken-levine-and-co-at-work-on-new-x+com-game">I hear there are rumours on the internets that an X-Com title may be in the works</a>:</p><blockquote><p> The latest Official Xbox Mag is running a rumour that's been quietly - <em>oh so quietly</em> - doing the rounds for a few months now. That rumour concerns just what, exactly, 2K Boston (and I presume 2K Australia as well) are up to these days. With 2K Marin confirmed as the team behind BioShock 2, what could Ken Levine and the rest of the guys behind BioShock 1 be working on? Maybe a new X-Com game. Yes, <em>X-Com</em>. 2K quietly bought the rights to the series in 2007, so the rumour's at least got a solid footing, though we're still going to recommend you increase your daily intake of salt. If only because the thought of a new, official X-Com game is too awesome to mess around with.
</p></blockquote>Yay! Here's hoping that, on the extremly small possibility that this is actually happening, they're not afraid to stick to what made X-Com awesome. Turn-based combat. There, I said it. Not some hybrid half bastardised real-time with pause TB / RT option bullshit. Real, genuine, turn-based combat. Maybe finally I won't need to keep re-installing Terror From the Deep on mah PC just to get a decent game.<p>Spotted @ <a href="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blues News</a></p>

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Re: X-COM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111!!!oneoneoneoneone

Since it is the "Offical Xbox Magazine" spreading those rumors, we might as well abandon all hope.
Brace yourselves for X-Com Alliance.

obediah

Erudite

DarkUnderlord said:
Here's hoping that, on the extremly small possibility that this is actually happening, they're not afraid to stick to what made X-Com awesome. Turn-based combat. There, I said it. Not some hybrid half bastardised real-time with pause TB / RT option bullshit. Real, genuine, turn-based combat.

That's the stupidest thing anyone has ever said, ever ... ever ... ever. You might as well hope that it costs -$500, comes bundled with complete and bug-free copies of Duke Nukem Forever and Grimoire, and will be delivered by a trio of naked FedEx ladies that fuck and suck every drop of seed from you before handing the game over, and then ride away on space unicorns.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

VonVentrue said:
Since it is the "Offical Xbox Magazine" spreading those rumors, we might as well abandon all hope.
Brace yourselves for X-Com Alliance.

"IT'S CALLED X-COM SO ITS GOTTA BE GOOD FOR X-BOX LOL"

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm predicting a Freedom Fighters clone.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member

obediah said:
DarkUnderlord said:
Here's hoping that, on the extremly small possibility that this is actually happening, they're not afraid to stick to what made X-Com awesome. Turn-based combat. There, I said it. Not some hybrid half bastardised real-time with pause TB / RT option bullshit. Real, genuine, turn-based combat.
That's the stupidest thing anyone has ever said, ever ... ever ... ever. You might as well hope that it costs -$500, comes bundled with complete and bug-free copies of Duke Nukem Forever and Grimoire, and will be delivered by a trio of naked FedEx ladies that fuck and suck every drop of seed from you before handing the game over, and then ride away on space unicorns.
Space unicorns would be cool.

Araanor

Liturgist
u gais are so intolerant, gaems have moved on since u plaid on ur handcrankd computars

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera

DarkUnderlord said:
Yay! Here's hoping that, on the extremly small possibility that this is actually happening, they're not afraid to stick to what made X-Com awesome. Turn-based combat. There, I said it. Not some hybrid half bastardised real-time with pause TB / RT option bullshit. Real, genuine, turn-based combat.
dunno, apocalypse combat wasn't THAT bad, and the added movement options were fun.
anyway, i wouldn't hold my breath for this one... even if it turns out to be true, there is no guarantee that it won't be x-com: ufoshock.

Oarfish

Prophet
I quite liked apocalypse for the attempt at a dynamic world and the map variety, but it had almost none of the nail biting tension of the frst two. If they had done the JA2 thing and kept realtime for non combat it could have been very good.

I predict a treasonous fuckup of fallout 3 proportions unless the Gollops are involved. I wonder what other childhood(ish) memories are next up for rape?

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
bilalcruxuniversalis25eg6.jpg

ricolikesrice

Arcane

X-Com "bioshocked":

-no "global mode" (no base building, agent recruiting, researching, etc.)
-linear 10-15 hour campaign made up by 10-15 small, linear levels.
-your troops are all special soldiers each fitting some recent hollywood cliche with full voice overs and a "deep" background story.
-cant equip/skill your troops the way you like. arnold-clone is just becomming better at wielding his minigun over time.(not like it matters cause the game will be piss easy anyway)
-researching killed aliens happens during combat by taking a photo, next mission you re gonna do 20% more damage to them !
-killed soldiers will respawn in the clone chamber between missions.
-over time some of your soldiers will develop psi capabilities that are totally awesome and original. a firebolt like spell for example that works exactly like your standard grenade...but hey "ITS A FIREBALL"

.... i hope bioshock was just their cashcow and a new x-com game would be at least remotely close to the original. but the dumbing down that happened between SS2 and Bioshock was quite a big one, so color me sceptical at least.

Disconnected

Scholar
If they're gonna make major changes to the game, I hope it's limited to the following:
1. A GUI that can't be mistaken for anti-player protection.
2. Simultaneous turn resolution & point movement.
3. Interactive 3D battlefields with infinite zoom & properly fading geometry so we can spend time kicking alien ass & flipping over tables, instead of fighting idiotic camera un-controls.

But then, that's what I always want in the games I play & nobody's yet to deliver, so... Weee! Purdy new FPS!

JoKa

Cipher
Re: .....

ricolikesrice said:
X-Com "bioshocked":

-no "global mode" (no base building, agent recruiting, researching, etc.)
-linear 10-15 hour campaign made up by 10-15 small, linear levels.
-your troops are all special soldiers each fitting some recent hollywood cliche with full voice overs and a "deep" background story.
-cant equip/skill your troops the way you like. arnold-clone is just becomming better at wielding his minigun over time.(not like it matters cause the game will be piss easy anyway)
-researching killed aliens happens during combat by taking a photo, next mission you re gonna do 20% more damage to them !
-killed soldiers will respawn in the clone chamber between missions.
-over time some of your soldiers will develop psi capabilities that are totally awesome and original. a firebolt like spell for example that works exactly like your standard grenade...but hey "ITS A FIREBALL"

.... i hope bioshock was just their cashcow and a new x-com game would be at least remotely close to the original. but the dumbing down that happened between SS2 and Bioshock was quite a big one, so color me sceptical at least.

sounds like what is planned with JA3.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Nah, JA3 looks like it'll be a Silent Storm clone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom