Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WTF BBQ new monkey island games???

onemananadhisdroid said:
Most clever puzzle so far involves a monkey, who would've guessed?

For all those of you mistaking adult language for arguments and never ever willing to play this piece of shit game anyway, here's the vid for you. A soon to become classic. This is LucasArts puzzle design at its most creative and best.

Devadatta

Novice
onemananadhisdroid said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nyzvy_7eJOM
Ugh, the humour is wretched for a Monkey Island game; on its own it's acceptable but MI deserves better.

MetalCraze

Arcane
w5MegVnn68.jpg

Nice next-gen dialogues!

Quilty

Magister
Castanova said:
Oh man this is making me nostalgic for Curse... I loved 1 and 2, too, but for some reason the third one holds that special place in my heart.

Same here, MI3 was the first one I played and for some reason I enjoyed it more than 1 and 2. It was the game that introduced me to Lucasarts humor, and I also adored its art style.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Those dialogue choices seem pretty Monkey Islandish to me, dunno what you guys find wrong with them.

82565396.jpg

vs

residentevilmonstersvsm.jpg

FIGHT. Some of those animations are hilarious, end of. Without spoiling anything, I'm really curious what Telltale's plans regarding LeChuck are now - and Elaine.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Pretty stupid that they left out any kind of skip dialogue button in the remake, but left it in the old version.
Also stupid that you can't play the old version with the new music and voice acting.
And the new interface may be good for consoles, but pretty bad for pc.

Other than that, it's awesome and my boner is peeking out through my upstairs neighbour's floorboards.

A user named cat

I'm loving the special edition so far. Damn, it'd be awesome to have a whole bunch of DOS era games remade like this with a hotkey that switches between new and old style graphics. It does so seamlessly too which is very nice, a very quick transition so you can keep switching back and forth to compare scenery. Very consolized interface though, but I'm countering that by playing with a 360 controller for Windows. So nice having this thing as so many ports nowadays have 360 controls already mapped and ready.

Zhuangzi

Scholar
PlanHex said:
Pretty stupid that they left out any kind of skip dialogue button in the remake, but left it in the old version.
Also stupid that you can't play the old version with the new music and voice acting.
And the new interface may be good for consoles, but pretty bad for pc.

Other than that, it's awesome and my boner is peeking out through my upstairs neighbour's floorboards.

Some of you guys complain just for the sake of complaining. I just finished playing the SE and it was fucking awesome. You can skip dialogue with Delete, and NOT A SINGLE WORD of dialogue has been changed (not even the 'don't pay more than $20 for a game' at the end). Fantastic game, beautiful and faithful remake. My ONLY complaint is that Guybrush himself doesn't look too good.

My other complaint is that because I've played Monkey Island 1 at least 5-10 times before, it only took me 3 hours to complete this. :(

Volkens

Novice
KurtH said:
If I’m not mistaken it also was one of the stupid places where no matter which line you choose he said completely different thing. I think there were at least three times when that happened.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Volkens said:
If I’m not mistaken it also was one of the stupid places where no matter which line you choose he said completely different thing. I think there were at least three times when that happened.

It's not like that didn't happen in the previous Monkey Islands, eh? :roll:

Anyway, just finished the demo, and while I liked it, there were some things that bugged me. First, the length of the demo was pitiful, like, 10 minutes, maybe? But then again, given the fact that the whole game is probably around 3 hours long, they couldn't get more content into the demo, I suppose. I also didn't like the controls. Like people before said, what's wrong with point'n'click? The inventory screen also is rather iffy, because I kept closing it by accident because of how small it is, and all the items are stashed at the edge of the panel. Also, camera. When I boarded Elaine's ship, I suddenly had a huge mast covering the whole view and had to run around like a blind retard for the camera angle to change.
The puzzles were easy as hell, but I suspect the demo shows the start of the game, so it doesn't matter. But even though they were easy, they were quite 'monkeyislandish'. I feared LeChuck would be terrible, but I don't mind him, actually. The guy doing Guybrush's VO is as good as before. And of course music by Michael Land wins. I guess I'm gonna try the full thingy.

The real question to ask really ought to be is this: what's RIGHT about point&click?

First and foremost, point&click controls and direct controls aren't merely two different ways of controlling a game. They make for a completely different kind of look and feel in a game. Whilst the first approach has you ordering a character around, the second one puts you right into the shoes of a character, controlling his moves yourself. There's something to be said about the physical sensation of more actively exploring an environment, which point&click doesn't allow for. Asking "What's wrong with point&click?" is therefore entirelly missing the point. Telltale apparently thought there was something wrong with point&click, though. 2d, 3d, text, point&click, direct controls, whatever, it has all naught to do with genre. It has all to do with what the heck one's trying to do with the game.

PS: I had also mapped this entirelly to my gamepad if only I wasn't such a proud member of the PC gaming master race and hadn't already spent 250 bucks on this video card. Yet at one point TT games are likely going to fully support those anyways. Until then this rather unusal WASD+mouse combo has got to do the trick, never seen this being used anywhere.

Hm, strange no one complained about the camera on Guybrush's ship. I thought this was real nasty, clashing with the controls at almost every step and turn. The camera can change three times within an inch of space to move around or something. Everything else from there on is far better than that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom