Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

wow

Dracunos

Novice
I saw this game, and I do love old RPGs, some of the most enjoyable experiences I've ever had in my life, really, were playing some of those old RPGs with bad graphics :p

Arcanum was one of my absolute favorite ever, and I still can't figure out why, and I could never ever eeever find anything even remotely close to as amazing and fun this game was, with such a great storyline (which is why I decided to check this forum out more, I noticed that a lot of people had sigs which were the faces you could choose from in arcanum), until I played Planescape: Torment, which is pretty good, too.

And this one indie game I played had an awesome storyline.. All of these games are just awesome. I loved both Deus Exs and Vampire: Bloodlines, too, despite the fact they aren't bad-graphic-ish top down RPGs.. If this thing can be as fun as some of those games, especially arcanum (even just remembering the game gives me this awesome sense of nostalgia), then I'm down.

Nedrah

Erudite
Just dig around a bit, from the sounds of it you might be in the fortunate position to have a lot of truly awesome games to play left, yet.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Dracunos said:
I saw this game, and I do love old RPGs, some of the most enjoyable experiences I've ever had in my life, really, were playing some of those old RPGs with bad graphics :p

Arcanum was one of my absolute favorite ever, and I still can't figure out why, and I could never ever eeever find anything even remotely close to as amazing and fun this game was, with such a great storyline (which is why I decided to check this forum out more, I noticed that a lot of people had sigs which were the faces you could choose from in arcanum), until I played Planescape: Torment, which is pretty good, too.

And this one indie game I played had an awesome storyline.. All of these games are just awesome. I loved both Deus Exs and Vampire: Bloodlines, too, despite the fact they aren't bad-graphic-ish top down RPGs.. If this thing can be as fun as some of those games, especially arcanum (even just remembering the game gives me this awesome sense of nostalgia), then I'm down.

arcanum, dx, and bloodlines are all pretty new, and only arcanum was a rpg. You damn kids.

Dracunos

Novice
Roqua said:
Dracunos said:

arcanum, dx, and bloodlines are all pretty new, and only arcanum was a rpg. You damn kids.

Oh fine, maybe those games aren't that old, but with the state of technology, playing a game like that today, even though it's only a few years old is like.. wow, that's sooo old :p

And no, Deus Ex definitely is a roleplaying game, and so is vampire bloodlines. Extremely role-playish :p Just because the mechanics of fighting and how the skills were used were a bit more fast-paced doesn't make them any less RPG at all, and just because it's also action/FPS doesn't make it not rpg, either. The term role playing game is not at all reserved for the mechanics of how a game is played.

Unless you're just trying to knit-pick and say they weren't of the RPG genre because they were actually 'Action-RPG's or FPS-RPGs or something :p

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Uh-oh.
You said Deus Ex is an RPG.
The Codex bloodhounds are going to tear you apart, if you read this and it's not too late, brace for the impact.

Jasede said:
Uh-oh.
The Codex bloodhounds are going to tear you apart, if you read this and it's not too late, brace for the impact.

At least Deus Ex is much more an RPG than Invisible war.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Invisible War has nothing to do with Deus Ex. It doesn't exist. It's a LIE. A LIE.

galsiah

Erudite
God was created for vazquez595654?

@Dracunos - Roqua's odd notion of an RPG excludes any game with any twitch skill, so excludes DX and BL on that basis. It's a little daft, but what can you do. I wouldn't call Deus Ex an RPG - but on the basis that it lacks high level choice (e.g. railroading on the UNATCO vs NSF issue...). Certainly other "RPGs" lack high level choice too, but I wouldn't call them RPGs either.
Not that genre matters much either way, of course.

Blacklung

Arbiter
The geological, topographical, theological pancake
Uh oh, he insinuated that Roqua and his games aren't just old, but really fucking old.

Still, it really is true that games that came out in 1997 are now a decade old...Mario has got to at least be 50+ by now! Pac-Man now looks like a raisin. Link and Zelda now have reincarnations. Donkey Kong could be dead in a zoo.

Do any of you actually stop to think about how long you've been playing video games. I'm 22 now and have been playing since the age of 3. That's already 19 years where games are already considered ancient at age 5. Quake 2, Fallout 1 and 2, BG 1 and 2, HL, Goldeneye, and many others are dead in the eyes of so many newcomers even before they play them. Sigh. I just made myself feel old at 22.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Jasede said:
Uh-oh.

It's on the top 10 RPG list of the Codex Hivemind. And that is omniscient and never wrong.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
GhanBuriGhan said:
It's on the top 10 RPG list of the Codex Hivemind. And that is omniscient and never wrong.
Unfortunately, the only requirement for your opinion being counted in the creation of that list was posting it before the list was compiled. Thus lesser, flawed opinions - such as Deus Ex being an RPG - were not ignored as they should have been.

Deus Ex - A Great Game (Not An RPG)

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Claw said:
GhanBuriGhan said:
Unfortunately, the only requirement for your opinion being counted in the creation of that list was posting it before the list was compiled. Thus lesser, flawed opinions - such as Deus Ex being an RPG - were not ignored as they should have been.

Deus Ex - A Great Game (Not An RPG)

Either you have a hivemind or you have a theocracy, can't have both :)

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I understand the "hivemind" concept so that the Queen imposes her ideas on the drones. ;)

Thus, the ideal Codex Top Ten should have been:

Vault Dweller said:
Fallout
Darklands
Daggerfall
Arcanum
Prelude to Darkness
Ultima 7
Ultima Underworld
Planescape: Torment
Realms of Arkania: Star Trail
System Shock 2

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Claw said:
I understand the "hivemind" concept so that the Queen imposes her ideas on the drones. ;)

Thus, the ideal Codex Top Ten should have been:

Vault Dweller said:
Fallout
Darklands
Daggerfall
Arcanum
Prelude to Darkness
Ultima 7
Ultima Underworld
Planescape: Torment
Realms of Arkania: Star Trail
System Shock 2

System Shock two has no more business on there than DeusEx, if you ask me.

Dracunos

Novice
Hrmm, where can I find that list? I have a feeling I have similar tastes to the people around here and I'd like most of those games. I stiiiill haven't tried fallout.

By the way, I just installed Arcanum.. again.. I'm so pathetic :p

Hazelnut

Erudite
Codex Top Ten Results: http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=9901

More recently, top 10 golden oldies (and these really are old): http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=17119
(I guarantee that many of them wont be palatable due to gfx/ui, but they're worth a look - I recommend Dungeon Master to everyone. :))

You should also take a look at the Project Monkey thread to find out what this place is all about: http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13369

Lastly, welcome to the Codex!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom