Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Warcraft

TheGlow

Novice
I like it. I didn't think I would, but I'm hopelessly addicted.

I haven't really heard any discussion about it here so I thought I'd start a topic and hear your thoughts.

As I see it:

Strengths:
Auction House
Professions
PVE and PVP combat are entertaining and fun. (depending on your class your mileage may vary)
Auction House
(That auction house has a hold on me. I'm like a fucking daytrader sometimesr.)
Huge detailed world to explore filled with warcraft crap
Battlegrounds and PvP advancement
Interacting and instancing with people

Weaknesses:
NPCs are very weak in this game
Quests are repetitive
Interacting and instancing with retarded people

What do you guys think. I have a feeling that you hate it, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

sparrowtm

Insert Disk 22
Developer
Bah. Nothing you can do has any effect on the game world. No cities to build, no outposts to conquer, no tree to chop, no political activity to be seen, no ganking of people the same faction as yours, nothing. The world is as static as it can get.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
weakness: its a fucking mmorpg

strength: SolEx hates it like it prison raped him

Drakron

Arcane
The reason you dont see anything about it is because we have a forum area dedicated to multiplayer RPGs that is listed right under this one.

kris

Arcane
It managed to keep me playing for a whole week and I feel dirty and abused because of it. I kind of hoped it would be something special about it, but there is none.

manco

Novice
I view WoW as a TRICKED out diablo with guilds. Teamchat let me have some good times raiding with some really nice people (I was in a 21 yo+ guild to weed out most spazzes). Lots and lots of loot, tons of instances, and battlegrounds introduced tactical goal-based PvP. Good times! My problem was that my lvl 60 pally wasn't very important or needed in the endgame. (overpopulation of pallys+heal/buffbot only, sorry! No more melee for you sir fancypants!))

And if I could get in a raid on my pally-heavy server, it was with like 5 others, so at the end IF the big shiney dropped, my odds of winning the roll were ass. But Priests! Why, priests are the lords of WoW, and they MELT FACES. If I could bring a priest to 60, I'd be the belle of the ball! So I started leveling a priest alt, with hopes of lording over my raidgroups, plucking sweet equipment for my unloved pally. Well, at about lvl 18 it was painfully obvious that priests didn't match my playstyle, and I cancelled. It was fun while it lasted, and when the expansion hits in the winter I might just be tempted to return.

But is it even remotely close to an RPG? Well, it's close like River City Ransom for the NES is an RPG. You have 4 kinds of quests, killcount, escourt, fedex, and bosshunt. Nothing is lasting, nothing is solid. Even if they bring in player housing, those houses only stand so long as the owner subscribes. I don't see MMORPGs ever becoming RPGs, but I'm cool with them being suped-up hack'n'slashes.

When you want a solid rpg experience, how can a MMORPG compete with a narrative tailor made for a single player? A finite story arc that offers closure versus an infinite unresolvable hampster wheel...

Yes, World of Warcraft can be pretty sweet, but it's about as relevant to the Codex as Unreal Tournament.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Strengths: There's a lot of shit to do.

Weaknesses: You're forced to play a certain style depending on your class, unless you're on the RP server.

Grind.

Classes are fucking imbalanced and they just keep making things worse because Tigole can't design for shit.

Quests early on are interesting. Later in the game, you have to travel all over and do repetitive shit because they hired the designers from the EQ expansions after the original mission designers left.

Retarded people.

One last thing, why do people compare every RPG to Diablo? WOW is nothing like Diablo. You don't have to grind in Diablo, there's more choices of what characters you can make, stats are important (you cannot set your stats in WOW), and killing monsters doesn't take 2 minutes.

Surlent

Liturgist
Think you can top that crap mr.hotshot mmo designer ? :wink:

Tiliqua

Liturgist
I think it's great that you like WoW, but there are far better mmos out there. WoW is a grind fest that fails to let the players control the WoW universe. If you want to play a mmo where you as a player can make a difference please check out:
http://www.eve-online.com/

MINIGUNWIELDER

Scholar
Tiliqua said:
I think it's great that you like WoW, but there are far better mmos out there. WoW is a grind fest that fails to let the players control the WoW universe. If you want to play a mmo where you as a player can make a difference please check out:
http://www.eve-online.com/
SHADOWBANE IS TEH 1337!
EVE Sucks
and player owned space politics etc are being added in the burning crusade

Avé

Liturgist
The one thing that dissapointed me most about WoW was it's size/artwork, I found

1)The total area is tiny
2)Each zone's area is tiny
3)The transition from each zone is abrupt(like from dense jungle to arid canyons)
4)The artwork is completely generic

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Tiny? My calloused middle finger (W for move forward!) Disagrees. And yeah, it was "omg ure in a dark scary forest, ok 2 feet, yeah now ure in a tropical jungle!"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom