Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry Ironman Discussion

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
I haven't done it myself, but lots of people insist that ironman (defined here as never backing up saves or backing out of fights) is the definitive way to play classic Wizardry (as in, pre-Cosmic Forge style Wizardry, like Wizardry 1, 2, 3, 5, and most Japanese Wizardry games). How many of you guys have actually beaten Wizardry 1 this way, never ever backing up saves? What kinds of strategies did you use? And has anyone ever beaten Wizardry 2 and 3 ironman (those games do not allow you to create new characters, and you're only allowed to transfer characters from Wiz1, meaning that if all your characters got wiped in one of those games, you'd have to start a new party in Wizardry 1 all over again)?

One thing that might make an ironman run of the Llylgamyn trilogy easier is making dozens of characters. In Wizardry 3, you need at least two parties due to both good and evil alignments being necessary for completion, so you'd have to do it anyway. Although making only 6 characters is the usual way to go about it, if you had dozens of characters then it wouldn't matter that much if one of them died (and death is sometimes unavoidable). You'd head into Wizardry 2 and 3 with an army of cannon fodder adventurers.

If memory serves me correctly I beat Wizardry 1 and 2 without backing up saves. I know I suffered at least one full party wipe in the first game.

This was way back in the mid-80s, though, so I don't remember much more than that.

Covenant

Savant
I've done it with V. Worked out pretty well - I think I ended up needing to make a rescue party to rescue my rescue party at one point, but it didn't get any worse than that. It was definitely a great experience, and I'd recommend it.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I did it with Wiz 1, except for the final battle.
Played very cautiously (return to castle frequently, map thoroughly), but still had one party death (from a trap, which I could have avoided), and rolled a new party.

I doubt if 3 can be done Ironman; the start is just too brutal.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
I did it with Wiz 1, except for the final battle.
Yeah, it takes pretty strong willpower to avoid savescumming Werdna. I once got wiped by Werdna but I forgot to back up my save, so I was forced to start over legit. Then I teleported into a wall in Wiz2, also forgetting to back up my save, so I had to do Wiz1 again.

WhiteShark

Learned
I don't see the point in ironmanning Werdna. It comes down to RNG whose TILTOWAIT hits first and harder.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom