Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Witchmarsh - indie action RPG set in 1920 Massachusetts

lightbane

Arcane
Or worse, it accepts the fiendish bribes of China's blatant attempt at taking over the gaming market/Epic.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Huh, interesting thread. So what's the story here? Their story guy had to learn game maker to help out, so I'm assuming most of the coders left the project. For what it's worth, it seems like a neat idea, even if it's 5 years past their initial delivery date.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
cd7279050c4ba4dd7b54a64da02962fc_w200.gif

I was moderately astonished just now to find that this project didn't simply sink beneath the waves of time. Although they stopped posting Kickstarter and mailing list updates, for god knows what reason, their discord is currently active with developer posts as recent as two days ago.

I found some newer (ca. July) animations on there, so it appears development actually has been happening as claimed:
Animation.gif
Animation_01.gif

I wonder if I'll actually play this game before I die.

agris

Arcane
Patron
team that is horrible about communication, planning, project management and setting expectations has solved all these issues.

You see, instead of making and releasing one game, they will make and release two games.

roll-safe-clever.gif

Update #55
Pinned

Tea Party of the Damned​

InglenookCreator
May 15, 2023
Hello everyone!
First of all, apologies for the lack of Kickstarter updates. We've been hard at work on Witchmarsh, and we're definitely getting closer, but I don't think it's a secret to anyone that our approach simply wasn't working.
The main hurdles we've encountered are mostly down to being a team of two developers working on a highly ambitious project. That's why we've made a decision that we believe will allow us to deliver the game we promised, without compromising on the scope of the finished product.
79e2421252e5e0e69f5ea1457ae430df_original.gif
We hope this announcement will cause a.... buzz.
Our plan is to release a short, stand-alone RPG first. We're calling it Witchmarsh: Tea Party of the Damned. We'll have a full announcement, FAQ and press release for it soon, but to summarise:
  • Tea Party of the Damned will be a short (6-10 hours) RPG adventure, set before the events of Witchmarsh. It's important to note that this will be developed alongside, not instead of, the full Witchmarsh game you've backed here. Although it will be released first.
  • In TotD, players explore a supernatural mega-dungeon, deep beneath Boston Harbor.
  • The campaign will feature co-op RPG gameplay, with the full roster of 12 playable characters which will feature in Witchmarsh.
  • Your characters and teams will carry over into the main game once it's released.
  • Most importantly, ToTD will be completely free to everyone who backed Witchmarsh (including late backers via Backerkit).
a9e3bb787937f15dd5d61ee7de15bec9_original.png
'Just a theory, but I don't think we're in Boston anymore.' Investigators have entered the strange, labyrinthine underworld known as the Crawlspace, one of ToTD's signature environments.
We'll be launching a Steam page for Tea Party of the Damned (ToTD) soon, and we'll need your help to spread the word about it! But we'll cover that more in a future update.

Other news:​

Generally speaking, things are going well despite the delays. We actually hit an interesting milestone this week, as we had the privilege of showcasing a small Witchmarsh build to a group of fellow game developers at an industry event.
The feedback was both positive and encouraging, but there's still a bit to do before we send it out in the form of a Gold Key backer test:
  • The combat is *finally* feeling a lot healthier, but is still in need of some quality of life fixes.
  • We're also in the process of fixing a number of pesky crashes which were unearthed at the event.

The footage above shows some scenes from the upcoming 'prelude' we've titled 'Tea Party of the Damned'. Stand by for new trailers coming with the new steam page!
As for progress elsewhere:
  • The game's story is now around 70% implemented (99% for Tea Party of the Damned) and technically playable. This includes cutscenes, branching dialogue, as well as recording choices and consequences made by the players' actions. We say 'technically' playable as it still uses a lot of placeholder assets and animations, but we are getting there!
  • Lou hopes to have the main story of Witchmarsh (not TotD, which is already done), fully implemented and tied together by the end of summer this year.
In terms of an ETA, we feel like the setting of a release date for the Tea Party of the Damned mini-adventure is just around the corner. We have a date in mind, but we'll hold off announcing it until backer testing has launched.
Finally, in the run-up to launching a steam page for ToTD, we're also working hard at being more present here, as well as on social media. If you still haven't followed us everywhere, check out our shiny new Linktree!

In closing:​

Well, I think that's going to do it for this update. One piece of feedback we've heard from you is that the dev-updates we've been posting on discord (see the linktree above) aren't reaching most of the people who backed the project.
In the next update we'll go over some of those posts, but if you want to read them now, they've been ported over to our website!
Thank you for your continued support of Witchmarsh, and stand by for more news on Tea Party of the Damned!
- Inglenook Games

Last edited:

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I mean a 10 hour "vertical slice" would be good enough to be an entire game imo. Now this mini-module is going to turn into a 10 year epic development voyage, main game pushed out to 50 years final release

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
I mean a 10 hour "vertical slice" would be good enough to be an entire game imo. Now this mini-module is going to turn into a 10 year epic development voyage, main game pushed out to 50 years final release
Now you're imagining that concept like this can be turned into a functional game.

Zombra

Patron
Now you're imagining that concept like this can be turned into a functional game.
I'm expecting to wait 9 years and then they'll say "Okay the 10 hour module is getting pushed back, now we're beginning development on a 30 minute minigame first"

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Did Cleve have the Guinness World Record for longest time solo working on a game to completion? Maybe they want to break that record.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
RPG devs consistently failing the "make a game with a scope within your capabilities" challenge.

d1nolore

Savant
Another one from the kickstarter scam age. Mock up 1 minute of cut scene, launch Kickstarter, take kickstarter money and blow on new car tyres and rent, run out of kickstarter money, realise you are not capable of delivering project, go radio silent, hand over project to someone even less capable and more delusional.

Zombra

Patron
The little prologue game isn't done yet but there is a Steam page for it now:

I guess they want to have something to show for their Kickstarter before TEN YEARS elapse.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
It would actually be pretty funny if they released the full game without any fanfare.

Just a "hey, here it is. 10 years well spent."

Modron

Arcane
I guess they want to have something to show for their Kickstarter before TEN YEARS elapse.
Just a demo by another name, developers do it this way to gain access to player's Library's What's New row (and their news feed if you don't disable the library filter). At least this way you can download the demo at future date even if they sunset it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Tea Party of the Damned will be single-player at launch, we plan on patching in full online multiplayer after release. Thanks for being patient with us while we get this up and running.
:hmmm:

Wow. This is something I had hopes for, but utterly wrote off...years ago. Seeing new activity was a surprise to say the least. Let's hope something comes of it.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
For now, we're going to take a day off for Easter Sunday, then get our noses back to the grindstone. We still don't have a solid ETA, but if we keep working as hard as we have been, it can't be too far off.

You know, I legitimately wish the best for these guys, but making it sound like it's a big deal to take one holiday sunday off in 10 years of supposedly continuous dev makes me 500% more suspicious of your motives.

Bros, just say it'll come out when it comes out. That's what everyone else does.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom