Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why no more Age of Empires?

Angthoron

Arcane
The camera angle/zoom also made AoE 3 shittier than it could have been. I really hated the extremely limited FOV. I mean, why? It's an RTS, not a third person shooter.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
I think Age of Mythology was my favourite out of the bunch, AoE III was quite good for all the shot it got, I used to love AoE 2 back in the day but couldn't get into it again when I tried 1-2 years ago.

I think the last RTS that I liked and played was Company of Heroes I. Too bad the genre seems to be dead by now, it always had a special place in my heart. Seems it won't make a comeback anytime soon, the twitch players are happy with their MOBAs while the strategy and history buffs look out for more realistic alternatives

Last edited:

Destroid

Arcane
I think Age of Mythology was my favourite out of the bunch, AoE was quite good for all the shot it got, I used to love AoE 2 back in the day but couldn't get into it again when I tried 1-2 years ago.

I think the last RTS that I liked and played was Company of Heroes I. Too bad the genre seems to be dead by now, it always had a special place in my heart. Seems it won't make a comeback anytime soon, the twitch players are happy with their MOBAs while the strategy and history buffs look out for more realistic alternatives

Maybe they will make a CoH moba.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
I think Age of Mythology was my favourite out of the bunch, AoE was quite good for all the shot it got, I used to love AoE 2 back in the day but couldn't get into it again when I tried 1-2 years ago.

I've been playing Supreme Commander again, had forgotten how much fun the game is.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Always thought AoE 3 killed the franchise? Huh, checking it out now on wikipedia, seems it got pretty solid ratings everywhere. The computer mag I read at the time gave it a 68 (means it's mediocre), compared it to a sandwich you buy at a gas station, which you eat because you're hungry but you sure ain't enjoying yourself eating it. And based on that I never bothered checking it out, even though I really enjoyed AoE 1 & 2.:S

Huh, how 'bout the Total War series? Shogun, Medieval and Rome were all released between AoE 2 and AoE 3. Also WarCraft 3. Wouldn't be surprised if titles like these made AoE 3 look pretty unappealing.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, I can't really see many AAA publishers picking up RTS genre again in the near future.
Those who did mostly try to copy SC (1 or 2, it really doesn't matter) and are then surprised if they can't beat it at what it does.
And because that happened so often in the past, why would publishers bother, really?
The mostly lack the imagination to come up with something that is not a repainted Blizzard or Westwood game.

Then again, maybe DoW3 will revive something, though it looks like another repaint, tbh.
Spellforce 3 sounds more interesting to me.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
I just want another base building RTS that isn't shit.

Is that really so much to ask?

Apparently it is.

ortucis

Prophet
Yeah, I can't really see many AAA publishers picking up RTS genre again in the near future.
Those who did mostly try to copy SC (1 or 2, it really doesn't matter) and are then surprised if they can't beat it at what it does.
And because that happened so often in the past, why would publishers bother, really?
The mostly lack the imagination to come up with something that is not a repainted Blizzard or Westwood game.

Then again, maybe DoW3 will revive something, though it looks like another repaint, tbh.
Spellforce 3 sounds more interesting to me.

I always enjoyed Spellforce games. They perfected the Warcraft 3's RPG+RTS formula.

I just hope they improve the visuals with Spellforce 3. I was disappointed with them re-using old Spellforce 2 engine for so long. Oh and new story would be nice (I am so done with whole dragon crap, fuck the dragons, most boring POS creatures).

RTS-Economy-Humans-Screenshot.jpg

spellforce_3_screenshot_20160530084024_7_original.jpg

Looks nice. From the Steam forums, I learned that apparently these developers have been working on this game for long time now.

Last edited:

Tick Tock Crocodile

I remember completely sucking at--and nevertheless completely loving--AoE2 as a kid. I used to be obsessed with making very religious civilisations and sending coteries of monks to assimilate everyone else into the hivemind :lol:

Now I kind of feel like playing it again. Is the new HD edition thing just a straight-up improvement or is there a reason to go digging for my old CD instead?

pippin

The HD version is pretty faithful, has working multiplayer and steamworkshop support. It's ready to install and play. I'd say it's worth it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom