Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Why I was shot down on my 3D/2D Blobber format

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
I showed somebody my current engine for the blobber games I was working on and they basically kept asking me about the gulf there between the combat scenes and stylized 3D dungeons.

I know Elminage Gothic did it, but it isn't working for me.

The great thing about this game style is that I can use static images for the monsters and limit my resource requirements and design time.

The bad thing is that the stylized 3D just doesn't suit the 2D combat formats. It made me really frustrated so I dropped it for a while and worked on something else.

I think I came up with a better idea how to approach these and it's an inversion of my normal design process.

Whether it's a fantasy setting, lovecraft genre or straight horror blobber, I need to get the visual formats correct but the most important things is ... to do the design first just as if I was designing a standalone setting for an RPG. Finish the entire scenario and edit it at least once to polish it. It should stand on it's own as an excellent RPG of the sort that the early D&D adventures issued scenarios of in their little booklets.

Now, having turned the design process upside down from what I usually do (build the tools then dynamically put the adventure together from notes) I am left with an implementation required.

I have a small demo of a true old style faux 2D-3D engine using only graphics to assemble the view. (Wizardry, Might & Magic, Lands of Lore etc.) that I can actually make a faux 3D (2D) engine to use in Unity. I have a ton of excellent 2D graphics for blobbers including forests made from panels I found on an obscure web site in Japan called DLSite. Really first rate handpainted artwork, top notch visually.

The problem is I need a really good design tool to accomplish this, which can export file(s) at the end to something computer readable for the mazes and the details. Hopefully something I could even script a little my own to suit my needs. Then, in combination with something like the Charon RPG editor, I could spit the entire scenario out from data files (I was not quite there yet) and literally just run the engine on those files and have any RPG blobber genre I wanted. The genre wouldn't matter. I'd need the 2D graphics followed by the audio, particle effects and other required media and I'd be ready to rock ... same approach every game.

I think I have found the ideal tool ... and I don't have to build my own ... in Grid Cartographer. Just bought it on sale on Steam and it is smashingly good.

This is actually the annotated world map of Wizardry 7. It's a good example of the best way to build a similar open world blobber to Grimoire, this time a bit more rapidly.

I got to playing with it for a while and was actually blocking out Miskatonic University campus ... which shows you it's a great tool if it encourages that design without any tears or constantly having to worry about how this maps back to the implementation of the engine ...

gcss1.jpg

La vie sexuelle

Learned
This lovecraftian will need a different type of biome than Grimore. More swamps, cities and basements, less alluvial woods and caverns, I suppose?

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Grid Cartographer is awesome. You can export the whole thing as a 3D model for maps.

I've used it for years even to do my D&D map. During the pandemic I would literally sharescreen my GC and my players would basically be playing a dynamic RPG blobber with a DM. Was awesome for dungeoncrawling.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
This lovecraftian will need a different type of biome than Grimore. More swamps, cities and basements, less alluvial woods and caverns, I suppose?
Which I have excellent 2D graphics of I bought about 9 years ago off DLSite. There's a dingy looking mansion (side walls, front walls, carpet, props) and a really good basement scene that also has side and front walls. Unlike Grimoire, they bleed over the tile edges so you'd get that special organic faux look (like forests in Wizardry 7) only possible with faux 2d. You can flip the side wall over to create the opposite wall, obviously we did that in Grimoire with nearly all the graphics. In DirectX11 you get antialiased scaling so the walls should look better at many distances.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Should release by 2043 based on the 20 years it took Grimoire to come out.
2017 - Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar
2037 - Armoire: Heralds of the Eldritch Abomination
2057 - Grimoire II: Wings of the Exemplary Heralds
2077 - Boudoir: An Erotic Text Adventure
2097 - Grimoire III: Exemplars of the Heraldic Wings

VggZYI8.png

DemonKing

Arcane
I remember seeing an ad for Grimoire in 1997 with Grimoire II & III advertised for 1998 & 1999 respectively.

I was foolishly excited back then.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Which I have excellent 2D graphics of I bought about 9 years ago off DLSite. There's a dingy looking mansion (side walls, front walls, carpet, props) and a really good basement scene that also has side and front walls. Unlike Grimoire, they bleed over the tile edges so you'd get that special organic faux look (like forests in Wizardry 7) only possible with faux 2d. You can flip the side wall over to create the opposite wall, obviously we did that in Grimoire with nearly all the graphics. In DirectX11 you get antialiased scaling so the walls should look better at many distances.

Nice. Now you can put this pictures as a seed to AI painter. Now (potentially) every dungeon can have different textures, but still in style.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Sample from DLSite. I paid for these graphics so they are not free use or anything of the sort. Bought these specifically for a Lovecraft blobber back in 2014 I think.

This is the way I would like this series of blobbers to look. All handpainted graphics, similar to Grimoire except even better, with none of the weaknesses of the former engine.

basement_lovecraft.jpg

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Sample from DLSite. I paid for these graphics so they are not free use or anything of the sort. Bought these specifically for a Lovecraft blobber back in 2014 I think.

This is the way I would like this series of blobbers to look. All handpainted graphics, similar to Grimoire except even better, with none of the weaknesses of the former engine.

View attachment 38069

Feels like game from that series:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
How do we know that Cleve isn’t like the antagonist in the SAW movies and that pic is a digitized part of his actual dungeon torture chamber?

Creepy saw vibes there.

DemonKing

Arcane
How do we know that Cleve isn’t like the antagonist in the SAW movies and that pic is a digitized part of his actual dungeon torture chamber?
You’ll lose a lot of the suspense though when he says “Do you want to play a game?” and then you have to wait 20 years before you can play.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom