Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which RPGs play well on Steam Deck?

ind33d

Educated
With no keyboard, I assume anything third-person works and anything top-down is a nightmare. Early Fallouts would be playable with the touch screen, but I doubt you can make Gold Box D&D games function, since even if you get DOSBOX to run, you would have to rebind every single key to a controller. No clue if shit like Dragon Age will even launch, considering all the DRM. Dark Souls and pals are confirmed playable, but I assume everyone's beaten DS1-3 by now.

Is Proton that good, or do most games just not run on Linux? I was a huge fan of the Steam Controller, so I wouldn't be opposed to using gyro as a simulation of mouse input. Something nobody brings up is that there are a lot of game anthologies on Steam like the Genesis Classics Collection, so you don't actually have to install emulators to run stuff like Shining Force or Phantasy Star.

Last edited:

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
With no keyboard, I assume anything third-person works and anything top-down is a nightmare. Early Fallouts would be playable with the touch screen, but I doubt you can make Gold Box D&D games playable, since even if you get DOSBOX to run, you would have to rebind every single key to a controller. No clue if shit like Dragon Age will even launch, considering all the DRM. Dark Souls and pals are confirmed playable, but I assume everyone's beaten DS1-3 by now.

Is Proton that good, or do most games just not run on Linux? I was a huge fan of the Steam Controller, so I wouldn't be opposed to using gyro as a simulation of mouse input. Something nobody brings up is that there are a lot of game anthologies on Steam like the Genesis Classics Collection, so you don't actually have to install emulators to run stuff like Shining Force or Phantasy Star.
generally i tend to plug in mouse & keyboard for stuff like divos or avernum, but for jRPGs it's really enough to just use controller
rather than touch screen, it's far handier to use the trackpad (like in laptops), steam dick has two and they're very comfortable and very moddable
i played rance ix this way without the need for m&k, since it's a turn-based tacticool game

as for what runs on the dick - most of the stuff, really. check protonDB for specific games, people leave their instructions how to run shit which doesn't run out of the box

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The only game I have not been able to get to run properly is Wizards & Warriors. I play pretty much everything on Steam Deck, and my preferences are for games from the late 80s through to the early 00s, and if Proton doesn't cover something I just go into desktop mode and use Lutris then run it through Wine. Yes most games will need keybind settings, but the controller configuration options are incredible. I only ever game in desktop mode if I'm running game like Wizardry 6 or 7 because of the automap mod; however, this can also be run in gaming mode by hitting the "Steam" button to switch between open windows. The Gold Box games are like this as well, if you want to be able to see the attachments you will need to play it in desktop mode.

I have all of the original Infinity Engine games setup, each of them heavily modded. I keep a modded setup of Tales of Two Wastelands, Morrowind, and Daggerfall Unity that I frequently revisit to update. Also I have played through Ultima Underworld with mouselook, and Might and Magic 6 through 8 with mouselook, plus the Merge mod setup separately. With Lutris and EmulationStationDE there is practically nothing that it cannot handle, though some games are certainly quite difficult to get running perfectly, but with effort it always proves manageable.

Also for games like Fallout, any of the more popular older games, there is usually at least one decent controller configuration available that a user has shared, and most of the time they are decent, sometimes perfect. I was just yesterday checking out Neverwinter Nights and there were a ton of them listed to try out. I only use my computer on the weekends anymore, during the week I keep my Steam Deck at hand and play games when I go downstairs, outside, or in my bed etc. It is truly awesome.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
If the RPG has native controller support then it will play pretty good on the steamdeck. If it doesn't which a lot don't you really are going to have to compromise some, text and controllers won't feel as good as a computer but with a steamdeck you can lay back and and truly get into comfortable positions. As long as you expect to not have as good as experience as a PC with keyboard and mouse you can get a lot of games to work okay.

With no keyboard, I assume anything third-person works and anything top-down is a nightmare. Early Fallouts would be playable with the touch screen, but I doubt you can make Gold Box D&D games function, since even if you get DOSBOX to run, you would have to rebind every single key to a controller. No clue if shit like Dragon Age will even launch, considering all the DRM. Dark Souls and pals are confirmed playable, but I assume everyone's beaten DS1-3 by now.

Search ProtonDB.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
If it doesn't which a lot don't you really are going to have to compromise some, text and controllers won't feel as good as a computer but with a steamdeck you can lay back and and truly get into comfortable positions.
Yea, this is what ultimately makes it so worth getting. Being able to play the original Fallout on a handheld was a dream of mine ever since that game was new, and I've attempted it over the past two decades with unsatisfactory results until the Steam Deck arrived. I remember my cousin getting such games to run on my PSP that he'd hacked, and later I tried with Android tablets and smart phones, but the controls always sucked and ruined the experience.

Somewhere around 2008 (must have been because I recall my daughter was just about to be born) I borrowed my girlfriend's (now wife) laptop to play Fallout, it was the first time I'd played it in many years since I spent most of the first decade of the 00s away from gaming traveling and so on. Being able to play that game while sitting on a sofa with my feet up was awesome, but laptops are relatively cumbersome and get hot. When the Steam Deck was first announced we subscribed to the waiting list, but I was hesitant to get it because initially I was under the impression it was simply the Steam Big Picture mode on a handheld. Once I looked into it and saw what it actually was, I was out of my mind with excitement. Now I can finally play Fallout with a handheld and it is functionally very close to the desktop experience, and games like Arcanum, anything I've ever thrown at it I've been able to get running well with Lutris. I dreamt of playing Fallout on a handheld, and now can play New Vegas run through MO2 with a 385 mod plugins setup at 60fps while waiting for a doctor appointment, it is truly remarkable the capabilities of that thing.

ind33d

Educated

Search ProtonDB.
there's also a Decky addon that gives you Proton banners on all your games, which is sick

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
but I doubt you can make Gold Box D&D games function, since even if you get DOSBOX to run, you would have to rebind every single key to a controller.
frua.jpg

Old image, but if I can do this, I'm pretty sure the Steam Deck can handle Gold Box games just fine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom