Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which rpg company has the highest hype machine?

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
MetalCraze said:
Except I don't remember Lionhead producing anything that can be called RPG even remotely, even with traditional excuses a la "itz haz numberz itz a rpg".
Strange, I thought Fable was a well-known series. Unless you are trolling, of course, like you always do.

Tekar

Novice
pip_boy_3000.jpg

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Wyrmlord said:
BioWare easily wins this contest just because of Mass Effect.

Mass Effect had one of the most elaborate and longest running hype campaigns I can remember. So elaborate that I have not even played the game, and yet I already know of the villain, the characters, and the hint of a twist just from a few trailers.

They released a book for it, made some bold statements about the length and scope of the game (which would make even Volourn laugh), claimed an unprecedented level of interaction through a few videos of your character pulling a gun on an alien and punching an old man, and showed every situation in the game as highly intense and dramatic.

Bethesda, not so much, because Bethesda never did much for Fallout 3 early marketing other than a few screenshots, a few statements, and just some large scale advertising at the end. But trying to play the hype as a game is something I have seen only BioWare do.
So Bio has spent more money for the hype campaign. But Bethesda "outsourced" marketing work to NMA which, unfairly*, has become well known for being the centre of angry nerds who hasn't realise that twentieth century ended almost ten years ago. Just how many players wouldn't even noticed Fo3 if not the conflict between old fans and Bethesda?

*because this title should belong to the Codex, not to some boring site whose members don't even know the meaning of the word "rage".

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Jim Cojones said:
Wyrmlord said:
BioWare easily wins this contest just because of Mass Effect.

Mass Effect had one of the most elaborate and longest running hype campaigns I can remember. So elaborate that I have not even played the game, and yet I already know of the villain, the characters, and the hint of a twist just from a few trailers.

They released a book for it, made some bold statements about the length and scope of the game (which would make even Volourn laugh), claimed an unprecedented level of interaction through a few videos of your character pulling a gun on an alien and punching an old man, and showed every situation in the game as highly intense and dramatic.

Bethesda, not so much, because Bethesda never did much for Fallout 3 early marketing other than a few screenshots, a few statements, and just some large scale advertising at the end. But trying to play the hype as a game is something I have seen only BioWare do.
So Bio has spent more money for the hype campaign. But Bethesda "outsourced" marketing work to NMA which, unfairly*, has become well known for being the centre of angry nerds who hasn't realise that twentieth century ended almost ten years ago. Just how many players wouldn't even noticed Fo3 if not the conflict between old fans and Bethesda?

*because this is Codex this title should belong to the Codex, not to some boring site whose members don't even know the meaning of the word "rage".
The few select Bethesda apologists noted the rage from those old fans, not necessarilly the masses.

Because even those people butthurt about how NMA/Codex felt about Bethesda and Fallout are themselves a minority; because the majority of gamers didn't give one shit about either side.

Think about it; it takes a very obsessed gamer to develop such a sensitivity to what people say online, and then to also defend large mainstream corporations who neither know nor care for them. All those 4.7 million people who bought Fallout 3 - dare I say only 20,000 of them at most even bothered about what the reaction to Fallout 3 was? The rest bought it because there were advertisements on buses.

DriacKin

Arbiter
Major_Boobage said:
DriacKin said:
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Blizzard.
Thats because Blizzard makes very good games.

Making good games has nothing to do with whether or not they were hyped up.
WoW and D2 were incredibly hyped up and marketed. As we come closer to the release of D3, it will also be incredibly hyped and marketed.

Texas Red

Whiner
Major_Boobage said:
DriacKin said:

what

Starcraft - good
World of Warcraft - Shit that poisoned the industry
Warcraft 3 - possibly good multiplayer but the SP was horrid Dungeon Siege with no strategy, the worst 3d graphics in existence and PG13 movies, dumb art "style"(read: technical limitations) with huge shoulder bads and hands the size of 3 heads.
Diablo - the Black Plague of video games

Blizzard pretty much ruined the RPG genre and their games, aside from SC, are shit.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Thread is about hype machines, dolt. Thanks for proving his point. Blizzard hypes so well their fanboys jump in to defend their each and every decision, to try and stop every single criticism.

edit- wait, any criticism about how Starcraft 2 is not Starcraft 1 and won't play exactly the same is very popular with all Blizz fanboys

"Hell it's about time!" Every Blizzard fanboy laughs raucously at this super hilarious joke and repeats it ad nauseam on the Internet, making lolcats pictures of it, then rock music and epic orchestra as they introduce their newest video game and everybody creams their pants, which they would have done no matter -what- came onto the screen. That's the power of hype machines.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Valve.

Because TF2 has random drops, criticals, evade, random damage, health potions, soon to be implemented trade system, and hats that make you look unique and special. Thus TF2 qualifies as an ar pee gee and is allowed to be mentioned on this thread.

Also microsoft, because of Halo Wars.

DemonKing

Arcane
I don't know who has the biggest hype machine but Bio has the worst.

I guess I'm just pissed that they seem to be interested more in the lowest common denominator now with their Dragon Age stuff centred on tits, gore and crappy Marylin Manson songs.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
DemonKing said:
I don't know who has the biggest hype machine but Bio has the worst.

I guess I'm just pissed that they seem to be interested more in the lowest common denominator now with their Dragon Age stuff centred on tits, gore and crappy Marylin Manson songs.

Agreed. However, would you want to drop millions of dollars on a game for the 200 or so members of RPG Codex? Fuckers would just torrent it anyway, so what's the point? Things are shit in this world because there is a huge amount of morons who have to be treated exactly like that: Morons.

Major_Boobage

Scholar
kingcomrade said:
Thread is about hype machines, dolt. Thanks for proving his point. Blizzard hypes so well their fanboys jump in to defend their each and every decision, to try and stop every single criticism.

edit- wait, any criticism about how Starcraft 2 is not Starcraft 1 and won't play exactly the same is very popular with all Blizz fanboys

"Hell it's about time!" Every Blizzard fanboy laughs raucously at this super hilarious joke and repeats it ad nauseam on the Internet, making lolcats pictures of it, then rock music and epic orchestra as they introduce their newest video game and everybody creams their pants, which they would have done no matter -what- came onto the screen. That's the power of hype machines.

Listen up snickerface. His question was why isnt Blizzard mentioned. To which i replied because they make good games nobody moans about them on the codex and they are not the mentioned almost. Of course they have an incredible hype machine but that was completely unrelated to what i said.

Major_Boobage

Scholar
Dark Individual said:
Major_Boobage said:
DriacKin said:

what

Starcraft - good
World of Warcraft - Shit that poisoned the industry
Warcraft 3 - possibly good multiplayer but the SP was horrid Dungeon Siege with no strategy, the worst 3d graphics in existence and PG13 movies, dumb art "style"(read: technical limitations) with huge shoulder bads and hands the size of 3 heads.
Diablo - the Black Plague of video games

Blizzard pretty much ruined the RPG genre and their games, aside from SC, are shit.

Starcraft :the standard in RTS
WOW: i hate it too, a horrible game but the standard in MMORPG.
WC3 : very good mp rts, i dont care about single player.
D2: best hack&slash ever released.

i dont know why you are mentioning RPG as none of these games are RPG's.

I am just stating that Blizzard delivers with their games. Other studios could seriously learn that from them. Love them or hate them, it doesnt matter. Their games are good.

Suchy

Arcane
WTF is Square Enix?
And Blizzard? Blizzard successfuly managed to kill PRG genre... and MMORPG too. What good they did? A bunch of Dune 2 clones (though I gave up on -crafts around the middle of Warcraft 2).

As for hype:
1. Bioware
2. Bethesda
3. CD Projekt

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom