Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which old scifi 4x game shall I play?

Which old scifi to play?

• Maelstrom

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Millennium: The Return to Earth

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Destroid

Arcane
These games have been rattling around in the back of my mind for years now, but I've never got around to playing any of them. So I'm going to ask the codex to vote for which one I will play.

1. Maelstrom (1992)

996223547-00.jpg

Maelstrom is a good example of a great game concept marred by poor execution. As "overlord," you must transform a planet's mining-oriented culture to a war-oriented one. The game has many strong points, e.g. the innovative personnel management, a strong non-linear plot with many optional sub-plots, and intriguing espionage model. Unfortunately, they get buried beneath a cumbersome interface. Bear with its idiosyncracies for a while, though, and you'll find a decent game lurking underneath despite all the micromanagement and tough time constraints.

Reviewed by: Underdogs

2. Millennium: The Return to Earth (1989)

1160346577-00.jpg

Paragon took some time off from converting paper & pencil RPG to do a good PC conversion of Ian Bird's classic space strategy game for Atari ST and Amiga computers. The game plays as good as it looks, despite below-average AI and mid-game tedium when you just wait for things to happen :) Still, technologies you can research are creative, as well as the many ship designs you can make. Recommended for Master of Orion veterans who wants a different, light break from their campaign ;) Too bad the superior (but more difficult) sequel Deuteros was never converted to PC.

3. Deuteros: The Next Millennium (1991)

1205658141-00.jpg

One of the best games ever made for the Amiga and Atari ST, Deuteros is the superior sequel to Millennium, Ian Bird's 4X masterpiece that was converted to PC by Paragon Software. Dixiak Narco's review explains why fans of Millennium and plot-based 4X games should take a look at this underdog that more than deserves its spot in our Hall of Belated Fame:
"[The game is] ...extremely addictive. You start off on earth, 1000 years after Millennium ends. Apparently, after returning to earth certain scientific principles were lost. Now it's up to you to rediscover them and get yourself back into space. Just like Millennium, you have to research and produce your own equipment. Some inventions pave the way for other more advanced ones _ so you've got to research and produce everything on the list.

Anyway, you build your first Orbital Factory and install it in earth's orbit. You're mining minerals and shuttling them up to orbit so you can produce transport ships and other exciting devices. After colonising a couple of moons, you soon come into contact with the Methanoids.

Now this is the bastard. In Millennium 2.2 you diligently colonised every planet or moon that was able to support life (well I did at least) and I'm sure you were nice enough to provide them with a Solagen MkX power unit and all the other comforts of modern living, regardless of the fact that they had mutated into strange lifeforms upon landing on the surface. How do they repay you? They f***ing slaughter you in the sequel. At first they act all nice and offer to trade --- although they do throw you out of their docking port because "they need the space". Truth is they don't want you to see the big army they're throwing together to wipe you off the face of the solar system.

Back to the plot. You have to lose a couple of battles so that you can reconquer the orbital factory and discover some strange new devices (MTX: no man should be without one). After that you have to put your forces together and start attacking the Methanoids fiercely until you can drive them out of the Solar System for Good (about 4 minutes).

After the brief graphical sequence to commemorate the invention of a faster than light drive, you can send some troops to the next solar system down the line (Proxima) conquering that and then moving along etc etc till you've got the whole galaxy. I won't give the rest away - especially since I only got as far as Proxima myself.

Let's face it. Millennium was easy - you just couldn't lose. Deuteros wasn't. In your first couple of games, the Methanoids will kill you. After that, you get used to it and learn their tactics _ and if you must lose a planet, you remember to MTX out that precious Silver and Palladium before the Meths can get their grubby paws on it. And, by the way, whenever they take a planet they ALWAYS remember to replace your efficient set of eight mining rigs with a couple of run-down ones. Bastards.

I spent months playing this game. It was truly worth paying for twice (which I did). I recently installed PacifiST and experienced the addiction all over again." Recommended to anyone looking for a 4X strategy game that is more challenging than Master of Orion and with a better plot to boot.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
deuteros sounds like LP material *hint hint*

apart from that, play all of them... not like there's any good new 4x coming out anytime soon

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Despite Deuteros being the obvious choice from the reviews I am more interested in Maelstorm. Play Maelstorm!

Ashery

Prophet
Was initially leaning for Maelstrom myself, but, as Fens pointed out, Deuteros seems like an ideal LP candidate.

kyrub

Augur
Maelstrom. I always wanted to try it.
More RPG than strategy, though? (fine by me)

Lord Rocket

Erudite
I've finished Millennium and I really wouldn't call it a 4X. There's no real obstacle to your expansion and a large part of gameplay is rather poor 3d shootan sections (sort of like Elite or Wing Commander but against one large, slow enemy at a time). I liked the game a lot, mostly due to the atmosphere, but wouldn't recommend it to 4X fans.

Deuteros sounds more interesting but probably has pretty similar (ie. non-tactical) gameplay, given that it's a sequel, so if that's what you're after I'd try Maelstrom.

Destroid

Arcane
I don't really mind exactly what sort of games they are. I understand they are probably not traditional 4x games but something closer to plot driven games like Reunion (which I have played). I'll certainly post back my thoughts on whichever game I play, and might even LP it if I'm feeling particularly generous, or the game is relatively short.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Coolies. I say give Deuteros a go then - if it irons out some of the wrinkles Millennium had it should be a fun way to spend a few hours.

tindrli

Arcane
i never played Maelstorm but milenium and deuteros defenetly made my life different!!!!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom