Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which free Command & Conquer game should I play first?

Tails

Arbiter
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
The freeware version of C&C didn't come with the videos, so play a real version of C&C instead. EDIT : Or does it, I downloaded mine some time ago, when it was a 15-year anniversary thing or something.
It's a new complete release.

Firewrks

Novice
Cool. I played Tiberian Sun a lot as a kid, but have never tried any others. Gonna give Red Alert a whirl.

Zeus

Cipher
DreadMessiah said:
Fun games. Good times. Thanks for mentioning this bit of info.

No prob, Dread!

...on the offchance that was directed towards me. :lol:

Based on some of the feedback here, I decided I'm going to go ahead and play Red Alert first. It's got the coolest theme going for it, and I love Tesla-style super-science.

Pablosdog

Prophet
Michael%20Biehn.jpg

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Chef_Hathaway said:
shud plaey genrals, itz d best :wink:

Well its the 'wackiest', has funniest voices and responses from units etc. But as a srs bzs rts it doesnt really compare to Red Alert or other free games.

MetalCraze

Arcane
So did they remove the cdkey check on the online servers or is TS "freeware" in name only?

circ said:
Tiberian Sun > Others

That's because it was the only one of them to feature an atmospheric PA together with fairly non-linear campaign that wasn't completely a "destroy the base" and the lack of super-units (like GDI mammoths from Tiberian Dawn)
And NOD was the best in TS consisting of "cunning" units rather than brute force like previously.

circ

Arcane
Malakal said:
Chef_Hathaway said:
shud plaey genrals, itz d best :wink:

Well its the 'wackiest', has funniest voices and responses from units etc. But as a srs bzs rts it doesnt really compare to Red Alert or other free games.

Oh yeah Generals. It's fun, but has nothing to do with C&C. Lots of different units, fantastic VO and pretty diverse missions. Playing a terrorist is especially fun, or loading a US humvee with a sniper and 3 rocket guys and driving around killing shit. Oh joy.

MetalCraze said:
So did they remove the cdkey check on the online servers or is TS "freeware" in name only?

I'm pretty sure you haven't needed your own cdkey for some time. It comes with a preset cdkey for you to use. The westwood servers are down and online is now being hosted with some fansite that doesn't require an account or check for duplicate cdkeys.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Red Alert is the only good C&C. Rest is shit.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Overweight Manatee said:
I'm pretty sure you haven't needed your own cdkey for some time. It comes with a preset cdkey for you to use. The westwood servers are down and online is now being hosted with some fansite that doesn't require an account or check for duplicate cdkeys.

The fans were "EA-sponsored" with keys for checks and previously made accounts - key checks were still in place last time I've checked but that was fairly long ago (a year or two)

circ said:
Oh yeah Generals. It's fun, but has nothing to do with C&C. Lots of different units, fantastic VO and pretty diverse missions. Playing a terrorist is especially fun, or loading a US humvee with a sniper and 3 rocket guys and driving around killing shit. Oh joy.

It was C&C all right, though instead of "more Mammoth tanks" it was "more Scorpion tanks".

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
circ said:

It was C&C all right, though instead of "more Mammoth tanks" it was "more Scorpion tanks".

Or AK47 FOR EVERYONE or paladin tanks or... at least you had some choice there. No consequences tho.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom