Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What the hell happened to MM5?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
For the past few days, I have been playing Clouds Of Xeen like crazy. I love the amazing variety of situations and enemies, and all the object and clue finding. It's the ultimate freeroaming game, where you are just dropped into the world without being sent into a specific direction. Whatever you do in the main quest is based on all the little pieces you gather from the various sidequests and the various places you visit. I love how character's skills are used. Such as having to use Teleportation when you don't have Pathfinding or Mountaineering skill, or using the Swimming skill to find more places to visit and more secrets to find. Best part was venturing deep inside a volcano and finding a town inside. I would say MM4 is one of the best games I have ever played.

But now I have started MM5 and it seems a little underwhelming. The gremlin sabotage quest was a little weak. You go to the gremlin leader, he sends his bodyguards against you, you kill them, he gives in. Not nearly as cool as the Mad Dwarf quest. And then, going to Ellinger's tower, you find the guy by solving some puzzles, and he tells you that you have to find 20 energy disks to power up Kalindra's castle, and you have to find the key to the Pharoah's place. Sounds like a petty errand. It's just...none of the stuff that has happened so far has really clicked with me.

But anyway, which of the first five Might and Magic games does the Codex like most?

mondblut

Arcane
Raapys said:
Why not just play World of Xeen?

QFT.

I never played MM4 or 5 stand-alone. In fact, I discovered the game I worshipped when I was 18 was actually 2 games combined, only a couple of years later.

And I don't see much difference between the two. All their quests can be summed up to "kill a head monster" or "find a quest item (killing a head monster in process)". Some are "find an X number of quest items (killing head monsters all over the world)". Mad Dwarves quest, wasn't it about just killing all dwarves in the mine? Memory could betray me, but anything less than that would be very non-mightandmagicly.

aleph

Arcane
As the people before already said: play World of Xeen.

The quests in MM5 were actually not different at all from those in MM4. How does collecting the energy discs differ from collecting these coins (credits or whatever) in MM4?

Bluegrazz

Novice
K, dont flame me here (well, maybe after saying this I deserve a little flaming) but are you guys talking about Might and Magic?
I played the Mandate of Heaven and LOVED IT. Found it last year in a bundle with the "newest" Might and Magic game for $4.00.... The new game sucked badly but Mandate of Heaven was insanely cool.
Anyhow, the world of xeen you are speaking of.....Better than Mandate? Can it be purchased D2D?
Thanx.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bluegrazz said:
K, dont flame me here (well, maybe after saying this I deserve a little flaming) but are you guys talking about Might and Magic?
I played the Mandate of Heaven and LOVED IT. Found it last year in a bundle with the "newest" Might and Magic game for $4.00.... The new game sucked badly but Mandate of Heaven was insanely cool.
Anyhow, the world of xeen you are speaking of.....Better than Mandate? Can it be purchased D2D?
Thanx.

Heh, different than Mandate. It's from the old DOS-generation and can be downloaded for free on abandonware sites. Check abandonia.com you can get it there. It's really awesome and great fun.

aleph

Arcane
@bluegrazz: if you liked mandate, also try MM7. It is just like mandate only much better, more character options, arcomage, a wacky MM like story. Imo it is the best of the new MM games.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
It IS World Of Xeen I am playing. Just that I thought I'd do the Lightside first and then the Darkside, until I realized that maybe I have to go to the other side to find the key to the Tower of High Magic, since I could not find it in the Lightside.

As for the quests, yeah, it's just finding the head monster or getting X item. But finding the Mad Dwarf King was hard. You had to find alot of notes regarding the mines in the area, explore through a large series of tunnels, and bash through alot of secret doors. Or the Yak Temple quest. The place was deceptively small, but switches in the place opened up several series of corridors. Simple quests but alot of detail in them. Haven't seen stuff like that on the other side.

mondblut

Arcane
Well, Darkside has its share of crazy mazes and messy puzzles as well. Gremlins in first city are to be compared to slimes in Clouds' first city, not further tasks.

Tower of High Magic, I don't remember but a few of Clouds locations are intented for WoX combined ending, so the key to it might indeed be only accessible on Darkside or after completing the standalone Darkside storyline.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
aleph said:
@bluegrazz: if you liked mandate, also try MM7. It is just like mandate only much better, more character options, arcomage, a wacky MM like story. Imo it is the best of the new MM games.

Arcomage is like the best fucking minigame ever.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
How on earth do you defeat the Dragon King?

I have the Implosion spell. Even that doesn't help.

DaveO

Erudite
If any of your characters have Mass Distortion, that may help matters a bit. I don't remember him being a really tough opponent to be honest. But it has been years since I played Xeen. I'm looking to correct that some time next year.

mondblut

Arcane
Just level up on Darkside, heh. M&M3-5 didn't involve any kind of special tactics at all. If you can't defeat something without buffs, buff (bless/heroism/some third all-party spell). If you can't with buffs, don't bother and get some more levels first. There is very little else you can do.

Even megadragon on Darkside can be killed straightforwardly if your level is big enough.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Oi, and why is my Sorcerer dying on me? I went to Darzog's Tower, some enemy killed him, I used Raise Dead on him, then rested, but he died again. Rinse and repeat, no success. His condition shows "Good". Is it because of...age? He ended up 48 years old when I had him read a scroll inside Castle Basenji. And yet, the oldest party member is 59, and she is not dying on me.

Bug?

DaveO

Erudite
Check the Sorcerer stats. If any of them are 0, he'll die in a hurry. I suspect his Luck is 0 and thus causing his frequent deaths.

DaveO

Erudite
Temples may fix the Sorcerer stat. If not, do a search for the UGE editor to fix it. But please use the editor as a last resort!

aleph

Arcane
DaveO said:
Temples may fix the Sorcerer stat. If not, do a search for the UGE editor to fix it. But please use the editor as a last resort!

Seriously!

Binary

Liturgist
aleph said:
DaveO said:

Seriously!

liek. srsly!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom