Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What sort of Galactic Civilization do you play?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
edit- This was supposed to go in the Strategy Forum, I must've clicked the wrong button, move it if you want

I normally play in small universes with uncommon habitable planets.

I made my own civ called the Confederacy based around the planet Nibusomme (the only cool name I think I've ever made up, the rest of my planets I name after favorite settings, New Crobuzon, Sigil, Vault 13, etc.). I almost always take the evil choice when moral dilemmas come up, because there's not really any reason to be a good civ, as all of the civ bonuses from Xeno Morality (or whatever it's called) are basically equal and being evil even lets me steal money from other civs. Typically, I take all of the basic techs, and I try to get as many +10% bonuses as I can. I focus on:

Research- 'nuff said.

Military- Cranking out construction ships is what I do when not at war, and I keep a small standing fleet (I trade away obsolete and excess ships to allies or neutrals for diplomatic advantages or money) so I need to be able to kick production into gear.

Morale- Tax. In real life I believe low taxes inspire growth, but that's not the way GalCiv2's economy works, and the higher your morale bonuses, the more you can tax without losing as much of your approval, since you are basically living in a command economy (no such thing as private enterprise in the GalCiv2 world, just like most strategy games).

Diplomacy- I do a lot of trading with the AI and this bonus really helps.

Economy- Probably the most important bonus, it gives you extra BCs to spend on production and research. I do a minimum of a +20% boost. This especially pays off in the later game when 20% is like 30 BC per planet, plus all the other bonuses.

Those are my basics, usually I take one point left over and stick it in "lucky" because that usually ends up getting me a bunch of free Lucky Ranger starcruisers late in the game. It's either that or Espionage, which lets me spend less on spying.

Political Party: Federalists, not only because I agree in real life with their philosophy, but because economy bonuses rock. Sometimes I go with Traders instead, if I take a lot of trade bonuses in the attributes menu, because though they don't quite give you the scale of economic bonus that you get from +Economy, you get it much earlier and the increases are pretty drastic when you have more than one economic starbase.

Usually around my main system I build four economic starbases in a X around my primary planet, a cultural starbase that covers as many planets as possible, and a military starbase out in "front" towards whatever enemy civ is nearby. This is because my home planet inevitably becomes my manufacturing capitol and the economic starbases jack up it and its Class 5 counterpart's production enough so that they are churning out a ship at least every other turn.

I usually try to stick a farm and entertainment center, along with some markets on any planet with a rating 15 and above. Small planets are usually research centers (except for the first one, which I use for production) while large planets get all the various different bonuses, including culture if they are close to a border or share a system with another civ. I try to stick a market on every planet, just because the extra money is worthwhile.

Right at the beginning of the game I set my Research spending to 50% and then I hit the lock button and never change it unless I seriously need 100% Military spending (the war is going poorly, etc.)

When it comes to combat, I've yet to see any reason to not go with missiles, and I always try to build the largest hull possible. I haven't seen any reason to believe that fleets of smaller ships are viable against smaller fleets of bigger ships. Usually my Class 5 builds one hull size smaller just because it can build them faster, but those are typically raiders without any defenses, who run around blowing up starbases and transports and constructors and act as emergency replacements for a damaged fleet.

If someone doesn't declare war on me by the time I've got the second level missile techs, I make war on my most powerful neighbor. Typically I ally with the Yor Collective, because they're badass and usually an evil civ like me.

I never upgrade my ships, it costs too much money, I just start building the next generation and sell/trade/tribute off my old ships once they become useless drains on my economy.

Astromarine

Erudite
The small ships in a larger fleet works quite well in some cases, though. I'll explain, but it's basically due to experience.

Small ships are available MUCH earlier in the game. If you fight a war early, there's quite a good chance that you'll end it with quite a few small ships that have been upgraded a few levels. This means that the ships can end up, if seeing enough action, with as many hitpoints as ships 2 or more classes above them!

I you then upgrade these hugely experienced ships to better models with smaller armaments and more miniaturization, you can reach some frightening levels of firepower.

Halenthal

Liturgist
I like the small ship fleets also. I'm big on economy and research, laying low militarily until I'm seriously threatened or attacked, then I whip out a ton of those small ships with high tech equipment.

However, I must also say I'm not very good at the game, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Or two grains, salt's cheap.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom