Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What shitty MMO do you keep coming back to?

Hoodoo

Arcane
Rasputin said:
Has anyone played Dark Eden?

Yah, played as a vampire for awhile a few years ago, pretty fun. But yeh, the hacking goes completely unchecked. Would be a cool game though I think without the hacking.

Stainless

Novice
I played Auto Assault back in the day until closure, and now currently addicted to EVE online, because I enjoy ruining other people's day when I blow their expensive toy up.

Quigs

Magister
Mangoose said:
Playing Lord of the Rings Online right now. Anyone else?

Did for a bit. Loved the roleplaying that went on. Bit much on the drama at times, takes a bit to find the right circle of people to roll with. I found the PvP to be dreadful and headache inducing, but loved the world and casual fun more then any other.

Of course, you have to realize that you're paying 15 dollars a month for a glorified chat program at that point, but 15 dollars will only get you a few drinks at the bar anymore anyway, so fuck it. Enjoy your earnings any way you'd like, I command it.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Quigs said:
Mangoose said:
Playing Lord of the Rings Online right now. Anyone else?

Did for a bit. Loved the roleplaying that went on. Bit much on the drama at times, takes a bit to find the right circle of people to roll with. I found the PvP to be dreadful and headache inducing, but loved the world and casual fun more then any other.

Of course, you have to realize that you're paying 15 dollars a month for a glorified chat program at that point, but 15 dollars will only get you a few drinks at the bar anymore anyway, so fuck it. Enjoy your earnings any way you'd like, I command it.
Well the PVE aspect is pretty well done, too. Not in terms of "innovative" questing, but in terms of pretty good writing.

Data4

Arcane
Hitting up EQ2 again at the moment. I had been playing Vanguard again for a couple of weeks, but once again found myself getting too depressed at all the wasted potential.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I did the trial of Vanguard. Then I got pissed off that I couldn't get off the island unless I paid for a subscription. The problem is the island is dead linear and has none of the open world exploration I wanted to try out.

I tried EQ2 too, but the lack of people in the main cities really blew.

Data4

Arcane
Mangoose said:
I did the trial of Vanguard. Then I got pissed off that I couldn't get off the island unless I paid for a subscription. The problem is the island is dead linear and has none of the open world exploration I wanted to try out.

I tried EQ2 too, but the lack of people in the main cities really blew.

I was under the impression that you had the option of starting in the regular starting areas in the trial if you wanted to. I did the island and hated it. The Qalian human area is much cooler. Has an Arabian theme to it.

That ghost town problem in EQ2 is the result of adding guild halls with everything one needs that would otherwise have been found in a city. Probably the stupidest decision ever for a MMO. Oh sure, a guild hall to show off trophies, hold meetings, etc. seems like a nice thing, but once you add features to render social areas of the game obsolete, it destroys whatever community the game may have had.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Nope stuck on the trial island. I'm sorta interested in playing around exploring the main world, but the dying population and lack of support make me wary.

I knew about the reason for the lack of city populations, but I was hoping that was just an exaggeration. Moreover it was not very smart to have 4-5 districts in a city needed to be loaded individually giving almost the same services. I play MMOs because seeing other players makes it much more "immersive." The Brigand was fun to play though.

Data4

Arcane
Mangoose said:
Nope stuck on the trial island. I'm sorta interested in playing around exploring the main world, but the dying population and lack of support make me wary.

I knew about the reason for the lack of city populations, but I was hoping that was just an exaggeration. Moreover it was not very smart to have 4-5 districts in a city needed to be loaded individually giving almost the same services. I play MMOs because seeing other players makes it much more "immersive." The Brigand was fun to play though.

Well, if blowing a one time $15 doesn't break your bank, that's all it costs for Vanguard. You don't have to actually buy the game any more. Just pay for a month's subscription and off you go.

Still doesn't take away from the lack of population though. One of the things that makes me so mad about it is the game has some of the best capital cities I've ever seen in an MMO. They're fucking enormous and feel almost to scale to a real city in a medieval era. Khal, in Qalia, which is that circular harbor town you see in videos isn't even a capital, and it takes up about two to three times the in-game real estate as Stormwind. When the occasional player ship or three is docked there, it gives you an idea of how great it could have been had the game been ready for primetime at launch.

The PvE is pretty decent and you can solo most of it, aside from the larger dungeons. You might be able to squeeze out 10 or 20 hours of pretending it's a solo RPG before you get fed up with it. That's sort of how I approach it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom