Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is Known About Mech Lords?

Alex

Arcane
Hi people! Last night I was going through the canceled games thread and it reminded me of this game. The thread even mentions that a few magazines received an alpha copy of the game, before a lawsuit killed it.

So, I decided to start this thread to ask you people what is known of this game. What is known about its gameplay? Did the lawsuit have any basis? Can I get any information on it besides the youtube video on that thread. But, most importantly, what attempts have been done in the past to get hold of the alpha copy mentioned?

Orgasm

Barely Literate
Stop posting your face. Nobody gives a shit who you are.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Unit 8260 seemingly cant find itself in the new times. Proceed to termination.

And on topic I dont know anything about this game but its name sounds retarded.

Alex

Arcane
Blog-2.gif

Alex:

@Orgasm

I myself prefer to see the name and avatar of whoever I am replying to. So I post my name and avatar so others will have an easier time replying to me. Sorry if it annoys you, but I believe most people find it helpful.

@Malakal

Mech Lords, later renamed Metal Lords, thanks to a lawsuit that seems frivolous as hell (though I can't really be sure), was one of the last games developed by Simtex, the developers of Master of Magic and Master of Orion. Supposedly, the game was in a very advanced stage when it was shelved and alpha disks had been already sent to a few magazines.

Yeesh

Magister
I remember learning about and mourning this game last year. My understanding is that it never came to pass. What's the point in torturing ourselves by learning about games that shall never be?

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Alex said:
Blog-2.gif

Alex:

@Orgasm

I myself prefer to see the name and avatar of whoever I am replying to. So I post my name and avatar so others will have an easier time replying to me. Sorry if it annoys you, but I believe most people find it helpful.

I fully understand and support your actions.

- Kwynn.

Orgasm

Barely Literate
Alex said:
@Orgasm

So whats the difference between a post from a number and a post from an avatar?

Name plus avatar create an identity thats easy to remember and you are not willing to give your identity up. All your previous reputation have been hidden and you cling to it.

But being a christian, your brain learned to twist your actions in a positive light, eg I am helping others by posting my face ("I believe most people find it helpful."). Which is not true since its your longing for attention ("so others will have an easier time replying to me") that drives that faceposting. Considering that only you, driacking, dickfaggot and Qwinn have done it, puts you in a bad company. You must ask yourself: What would Jesus do? Would he post his avatar before every preaching session? Are the faces that matter or the words spoken? What would Jesus do!? :M

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Pretty much what you said is what was known. Isometric, turn based, big mechs, political and overall strategy component, gameworld heavily influenced by Dune and Mech Warrior and creepy alien invader as the big enemy which only slowly reveals itself while you tried to gain influence within your house, founded mining camps and colonies and fought skirmishess.

Game was so heavily influened that the mech warrior people started a lawsuit and either settled or won. Game then was put on hold and later on was shelved when Microprose and Simtex went down.

Game was nearly finished and indeed there are rumors that some magazines got alpha builds. Lots of previews were around (these guys were responsible for MOOII so expectations were high) and looked and sounded awesome. Had a cover cd with some gameplay footage and the introduction video. Shit looked good. Alas, in the end it was not to be. Being a huge Simtex fan I'm pissed off about it to this very day.

Here's a preview. Whatever other info there was at the time seems to have been disapeared into the void though people still search.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SdlinjwvmE

http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=17924

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mech-Lords-Offi ... 0761502033

http://www.gameskb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/p ... er-created

Alex

Arcane
Blog-2.gif

Thank you very much, trash. I sent an email to Mr. Emrich, the author of the book you linked. Maybe he has some information.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom