Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What Defines the RPG Genre?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
derill, I have some important advice for you.

Get out while you can.

Leave this accursed place, this most vile pit of derision; this wicked, loathsome tomb of rancorous and wholly unlikable filth.

You will be sucked in here and you will never escape. You still have a chance. Please, for the love of all that is purity and goodness, run.

RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
1192509126lapinbeaupizz.jpg

derill

Novice
yeah. i think i'm just gonna avoid it. sorry about making a post about something that must've been asked hundreds of times. sorry for the bother. peace.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Crispy said:
derill, I have some important advice for you.

Get out while you can.

Leave this accursed place, this most vile pit of derision; this wicked, loathsome tomb of rancorous and wholly unlikable filth.

You will be sucked in here and you will never escape. You still have a chance. Please, for the love of all that is purity and goodness, run.

RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!
Man, shut up with your lies. The Codex is a prestigious RPG news site and you know damn well that any bad attitudes are dealt with harshly by the moderators.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Ultima Underworld - The Stygian Abyss
Daggerfall
Betrayal At Krondor
Might And Magic III - Isles Of Terra
Might And Magic IV - Clouds Of Xeen
Might And Magic V - Dark Side Of Xeen
Wizardry 6 - Bane Of The Cosmic Forge
Geneforge 5

Lemunde

Scholar
If the codex has taught me anything it's that trying to define RPG is an exercise in futility. Personally I'm a stat junkie so the "role" aspect isn't all that important to me, atleast not in the traditional sense. I like being able to define my character and make him all cool and menacing and shit but I don't really like going much beyond that. Or atleast I haven't found a game yet that makes that fun.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
derill said:
I'm just getting into the RPG scene, and have been reading about what games define the genre. Some say anything with the infinity engine, some say diablo and its ilk-born clones, some say every rpg born before the 90's, some say roguelikes, some say jrpgs, and the list goes on ( mmorpgs, muds, etc ). What game defines the RPG genre to you, and why?

I'm merely asking to get a real feel for the genre. I missed out on the D&D games of my high school peers, and when I tried afterwards, I found that I was too nervous to speak in front of people ( I have social anxiety ), and then tried some MUDs. After that, I played through Planescape, Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 + expansion, Neverwinter Nights, Dark Sun ( both Shattered Lands and Wake of the Ravager ), WoW. What else could I try? I've read about Arcanum, but is it worth sludging past the bugs?

I mean, anything on the Inifinity engine gives me a helluva fight with random stuttering and lags every so often, and I think it's due to Vista. Most good RPG games were released before Vista, and it causes some issues.

So, what can I do to better myself, in terms of RPG gaming? I thank you for your patience. I'm rather new to forum-etiquette, although I did try to search through the forums for an answer, but there were too many different answers, so I thought I might as well get them all in one thread.

Thanks ahead of time. :)

Derill.

If you have problems with old games on Vista you should try installing linux or Windows XP some new games like The Witcher or Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines. Good older games were already mentioned (for example Fallout 1 and 2 [but don't play Fallout 3, it's not fallout, I know it may sound strange]). While playing read forums and I'm sure you'll get into RPGs enough to know what to play next.

If you won't like one or two RPGs don't resignate, many RPGs are different from each other like FPS are from logic games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom