Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are your thoughts on Call of Chtulhu LCG?

damicore

Augur
The other day I saw, to my surprise, they were selling the Call of Cthulhu LCG in Argentina.
I have a few questions about it:
How is the deckbuilding aspect? Is it anything similar to MTG?
Is it good to play with friends? It's 100US$ over here and the pay I had from my previous job was like 700US$ so I was thinking on buying the starter box with some (2-3) friends.
Or should we rather buy 2 expansion packs? They're 50US$ each.
The LCG bussiness model seems a lot less horrible than that of MTG and the likes, I still feel 100 bucks is a lot for 165 cards.
Are other LCGs from Fantasy Flight Games better? I saw they had a basic box and expansions for the Game of Thrones LCG, but I know next to nothing about Game of Thrones and Call of Cthulhu seems a much more interesting setting.

catfood

AGAIN
I don't know about the CoC LCG very much as I haven't played that one yet. But I have played the GoT one a couple of times and liked it a lot. It moves reasonably fast and has very cool rules for 3-4 player games so if you have friends interested in this as well it would be a better option than CoC. As I understand it the latter is focused mainly on 1v1.

In Bucharest there's this neat tea house where you can borrow board games from them and play them there. Maybe there's something similar in Buenos Aires so you can try it out before you buy it.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
I hear that the game has one big problem: you only get one copy of each card in the box. It means that if you want to start some serious deck building, you'll need more boxes, which makes the money investment pretty big. That's the actual reason I've decided to hold off with buying the game.

damicore

Augur
I hear that the game has one big problem: you only get one copy of each card in the box. It means that if you want to start some serious deck building, you'll need more boxes, which makes the money investment pretty big. That's the actual reason I've decided to hold off with buying the game.
Only one? I thought the box had 3 copies of each one.
Are you certain about this? I was pretty sure it had 3.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Well, checked again. There is a potato site selling board games and at least two reviews there mention one copy per card. You can only write a review if you actually buy the product, so the source seems legit.

Garm

Learned
Have you tried looking online for someplace that offers international shipping? Even if it comes out to like $30 shipping or something you'd still save a lot--the MSRP is $40.

Humppaleka

Cipher
Hmm, every one of the packs I've bought have 3 copies of the same card in them.

But yes I do like the game, even the starter box cards are fun as heck though there are some unbalanced decks there. Definitely recommend it, BUT I don't play it competitively at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom