Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WH40K Dark Crusade Gets All Strategical On Us

Jason

chasing a bee
<strong>[ Preview ]</strong>

<p>Warhammer 40,000: Dark Crusade is the next title to get the double preview treatment from IGN and Gamespy. Besides the new races, the biggest change in this Dawn of War expansion is the greatly revised single-player campaign. From Gamespy:</p><blockquote><p> Relic is also answering critic's objections to the historically thin nature of Dawn of War's single-player campaign. Rather than just offer another linear story-based campaign in which players get to play with the two new races, this time around players get to run an entire campaign and conquer an alien world in a Risk-style strategy game. The player will be able to choose to play as any one of the game's seven races, and the storyline will supposedly be different for each of them. Play will proceed in a turn-based fashion as players attack and defend various provinces from their opponents, and each area captured will convey strategic bonuses to forces on the RTS battlefield. This is an approach that's worked well in games like Rise of Nations, so it'll be interesting to see what Relic Entertainment does with it.</p></blockquote><p>IGN continues with more details:</p><blockquote><p>The campaign map is split up into territories much like the living world map of Battle for Middle-earth or campaign in Rise of Nations. Each of the seven factions will begin with control over one territory and will have to push out from there to conquer additional territories and eventually take down their enemies.

Each of the territories will have bonuses attached to them in order to tempt players into pushing into more than just a couple of territories before going for the throat of one of the other factions. For example, conquering one territory as the Tau might mean that you'll start every other fight with a squad of Fire Warriors as long as that territory is controlled. Eventually, the fight will have to be taken to one of the faction strongholds. While most of the territory maps will act like skirmish maps the faction headquarters will be designed maps as would be found in a normal campaign. According to Relic, these are not easy missions so players will likely have to spend a bit of time building up their forces first. </p></blockquote><p>Read: <a href="http://pc.ign.com/articles/706/706477p1.html" title="IGN">IGN Preview</a>, <a href="http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/warhammer-40000-dawn-of-war-expansion-2/706944p1.html" title="Gamespy">Gamespy Preview</a></p>

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Should add some longevity to the singleplayer, wasn't much to do for me when i finished the campaign, and frankly multiplayer in RTS games bores the shit out of me.

Jason

chasing a bee
" frankly multiplayer in RTS games bores the shit out of me."

Then you must be bored a lot considering that most RTS games seem to be designed around multiplayer. Online gaming is the Wave of the Future etc.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
baby arm said:
" frankly multiplayer in RTS games bores the shit out of me."

Then you must be bored a lot considering that most RTS games seem to be designed around multiplayer. Online gaming is the Wave of the Future etc.

Pretty much, yeah. It used to be my favourite genre.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom