Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Weekend Impulse Buys

LCJr.

Erudite
<strong>[ Announcement ]</strong>

<p>And the holiday sale madness continues.</p><blockquote><p>The first ever "Impulse Buy" sale is going on in the <a href="http://www.impulsedriven.com/" target="_blank">Impulse Store</a> ! Several games are available and you will be able to download them immediately via the Impulse digital distribution system by Stardock. Pick up games from the extremely popular Galactic Civilizations series, and the hit game, World of Goo, plus much more.</p> <ul><li>Project Aftermath - $9.99 </li><li>Galactic Civilizations I: Ultimate - $3.99 </li><li>Political Machine 2008 - $3.99 </li><li>Space Rangers 2 Complete - $3.99 </li><li>Supreme Commander - $9.99 </li><li>Galactic Civilizations II: Dread Lords - $9.99 </li><li>MyColors: Winter Wonderland - $9.99 </li><li>World of Goo - $19.95</li></ul></blockquote><p>If you haven't tried Space Rangers 2 yet it's well worth four bucks.  Read the announcement with links <a href="http://www.stardock.com/about/newsitem.asp?id=1166" target="_blank">here.</a> </p><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://www.stardock.com">Stardock</a></p>

Jason

chasing a bee
Jesus Christ, guess I'm going to need to dabble with Impulse now. Are there any restrictions on Impulse? For example, does it need to be running for you to play a game like with Steam?

cutterjohn

Cipher
I don't thin k so, I sprung for SR2 since it included Reboot. Shows up in the start menu like a "normal" install and runs from there, start menu item is just a link to the exe in the SR2 folder. Impulse site says no need for internet for SP games.

(Also shows up in Program Files like a normal install, entirely unlike steam... )

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Yeah, I sprung for SR2: Complete as well.

I've been trying to get Reboot separately, but I always got a "not for your territory" message. Not so for this deal, which makes me a happy chappie.

I got the Political Machine as well. I don't normally play that sort of game, but at $3.95 it's a reasonably justifiable impulse buy. (oh, I just made a funny)

@baby arm: as cutterjohn points out, it's really just a delivery mechanism. Not invasive at all.

LCJr.

Erudite
I broke down and grabbed SR2 also. You need Impulse to install and update.

I can tolerate it for one game at this price but I much prefer the fire and forget approach like with M&B/Themida.

Disconnected

Scholar
baby arm said:
Jesus Christ, guess I'm going to need to dabble with Impulse now. Are there any restrictions on Impulse? For example, does it need to be running for you to play a game like with Steam?
Impulse is four things: a download manager, a front-end for all of Stardock's services, a game networking system (for multiplayer games, rank tracking and stuff like that - though right now I don't think any games actually use it), and a dock application.

If you don't want it, just uninstall it when you've downloaded your game. But you may be pleasantly surprised by how useful it is. I was.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom