Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Warren Spector against tyranny of choices

Voss

Erudite
Actually, in some cases fanfics can be *better* than the original book.

you've never told. Well, jolly good. But needing to ask suggests you didn't know.

My point of view is that your metaphors need work.

Arrogance seems more relevant to narcissim. Or, in some cases just skill. Are you saying that you couldn't take a bad story, edit and revise it and make it better? Actually, going by some of your posts, you most likely can't. Fair enough.

What's funny about a Deus Ex console? Especially since it was already done? A so-so game made worse- there isn't much funny about that, its just a common trend in the industry at the moment.

Balthus

Novice
Orange-Analogy
You know, a comparison is only useful if there exists a common point besides the one you want to prove. But I will play along anyway.
Then why don't you eat it?
I hate oranges.
Are the book fanfics equally satisfying reading as the original book is?
That depends on the writer, as you very well should know.
It depends on the point of view. If we go by my definition of a story - by your actions you transform the story. It doesn't become something else but it can become "unedible" if you smash it too hard. That was a purpose of "orange comparison".
Ahh, now I behold your madness and begin to understand. You're still wrong though.
I take it you consider Fallouts story nonexistent because you had the freedom to mould it yourself, right? Or in my words, its story or rather its stories are bad simply because you can choose(accidently or intentionally) a singular (in your opinion)bad storyline. Staying whithin your orange-example i'd have to ask this: Is the orange unedible because there are infinite possibilities how you can make it unedible?(Don't answer this, it's a rhetorical question...) Besides making my point wonderfully clear, this also shows how you are worng yet again.
In any game all possible outcomes, its choices, its storyline etc. have to be considered finite. It is therefore also possible(and likely) that the developer of said game has complete knowledge of all results. Consequently this means the developer is able to make all storylines (again in your opinion) "good". Just because there exists a wide range of possible solution to a non-linear game -which may all differ in quality- none of those solutions must represent a bad storyline.
Assuming there are 10 or so storylines you consider good and which differ not too greatly. Now throw them all in one game. Make it so the player can only choose between those 10 stories(note: this must not be accomplished by a deus ex style choice).Granted this would be a rather restrictive non-linear game, but it could be considered one.
Now increase the number of stories tenfold, having the same 10 distinctively different storylines while the rest are variations. Increase the number again, and voilá you've got tons choices and these storyline are neither bad nor is there an inherent failure involved that frustrates the player.
Well, I think I have covered all your crazy talk now, so begone evil spirit!!!

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
What if you enjoy smashing oranges though?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom