Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warlock: Master of the Arcane - New Paradox TBS

Jason

chasing a bee
<strong>[ Announcement ]</strong>

Paradox is trying their hand at a Master of Magic successor with <a href="http://www.paradoxplaza.com/press/2011/8/put-a-world-of-magic-in-your-hands-paradox-interactive-announces-warlock-master-of-the" target="_blank"><strong>Warlock: Master of the Arcane</strong></a>.
<blockquote>Paradox Interactive just revealed the details of their latest project, Warlock &ndash; Master of the Arcane, a new turn-based strategy game set in the fantastical land of Ardania, popularized in Majesty franchise. Warlock &ndash; Master of the Arcane invites players to take on the role of the Great Mage and build a powerful magical empire, giving mighty mages the ability to control armies and wield magic to wage war against one another, as they compete with other wizards for the title of Warlock.

&ldquo;The great thing about Warlock is that it inherits the best elements from classic turn-based games and renovates them with a modern look and feel,&rdquo; said Mattias Lilja, Producer at Paradox Interactive. &ldquo;Partnering with Ino-Co Plus to bring this breath of fresh air to the genre is just icing on the cake, they&rsquo;ve done well to bring the Majesty world to life in the past and we are confident they&rsquo;ll deliver again.&rdquo;

Warlock &ndash; Master of the Arcane offers a wide range of military units &ndash;three different races, along with summons and wild creatures &ndash; as well as providing dozens of spells, from which players can discover powerful spell combinations to help attain victory over their adversaries. With epic battles to fight, gods to side with, and an innovative city management system, players must strike a balance between military might and magical prowess to remain the last mage standing.

Players can look forward to entering the mythical war-torn world of Warlock &ndash; Master of the Arcane in Q2, 2012.
</blockquote>

Paradox sure is fucking busy lately, with three games and at least one expansion on the docket, not to mention the tons of other games they're producing, not developing.

Yeesh

Magister
Only three different races? That had already me skeptical this is a quickie cash in. But then:

1C:Ino-Co develops games for PC and consoles, and provides outsource services.

Ino-Co Plus is a publisher and developer of online games for leading social networks.

I hope he just mixed them up.

Anyway this genre needs more than just fresh air, but what can we do but take what we can get? And complain about it?

Yeesh

Magister
On the other hand, what could be terrible about a developer who knows when to put the boobies front and center*? That's what MoM was all about.

2mfnd3d.jpg

*Always. The answer is always.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Sounds interesting. Both Paradox-games I've played I've liked (KA and EU3). Though I'm cooling a bit towards EU3 (really like the concept, but dislike some portions of the gameplay).

saenz

Scholar
On the other hand, what could be terrible about a developer who knows when to put the boobies front and center*?

They even get their own colored shirts!

I swear, Eastern Europe is the only place in the world that know how to properly integrate women into a professional environment. Kicks the shit out the sexless office drones of America.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Looks like a mix between HOMM and MOM from that trailer. Might be a bit early to say anything about it but I can't help but think this won't be THE follow up to MOM I've been waiting for. We'll see.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeesh said:
Only three different races? That had already me skeptical this is a quickie cash in. But then:

1C:Ino-Co develops games for PC and consoles, and provides outsource services.

Ino-Co Plus is a publisher and developer of online games for leading social networks.

I hope he just mixed them up.

Anyway this genre needs more than just fresh air, but what can we do but take what we can get? And complain about it?

It's by the guys that made Fantasy Wars and Elven Legacy, modern takes on Fantasy General. They are even using the same engine. Very good games I might add. Seems that this will add a strategic layer to the formula.

Yeesh

Magister
Trash said:
Looks like a mix between HOMM and MOM from that trailer. Might be a bit early to say anything about it but I can't help but think this won't be THE follow up to MOM I've been waiting for. We'll see.
Lord knows I keep my fingers crossed for any MoM-style goodness, but how do you get anything from that trailer other than a bad scottish accent and the intimation of hexes? Are you watching a different, more informative trailer?

commie said:
It's by the guys that made Fantasy Wars and Elven Legacy, modern takes on Fantasy General. They are even using the same engine. Very good games I might add. Seems that this will add a strategic layer to the formula.
That's what I'd like to think too, but the trailer does indeed attribute the game to Ino-Co Plus and not 1C:Ino-Co. Well maybe it don't mean nothing.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Nah, I just interpret the signs there are there. The short hex based thingie they showed in the trailer could be just art, but it does show landmarks like a mill and a crystal and gives me a HOMM vibe. Not to mention that there will only be three fantasy races. As I said, it's way too early to tell but the signs don't really seem to point at this being a very ambitious project aimed at bettering MOM. We'll see though.

Disconnected

Scholar
They have screenies on facebook. So.. Hexes definitively in. Looks very much like a prettier Fantasy Wars.

Too early to tell, but it doesn't seem totally unlikely the game will be a vaguely Civ5-looking Fantasy Wars meets MoM.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
A game that would be more similar to AOW than to any deep strategy.

First they would need to contact and tightly cooperate with me if they would like to create something similar to original strategy.
Second they would need to know mythology to get it right.

Also I have experience with making asymetrical RPGs/games, they don't. I guess it would be something like that game about samurais is to Shogun 2.

Quick cash. If they would make anything extra, it would be because developers shown an initiative.

Disconnected

Scholar
MuscleSpark said:
Looks more like Age of Wonders than MoM.

AoW pretty much just merged MoM with HoMM, so in a way yeah. But I'm guessing this one will be closer to MoM-like magic & city building, with Panzer General combat.

Norfleet

But it does not claim to be, so it is unfair to judge it as such. Let us see how awful it is on its own merits, then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom