Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer Thread: Rate Each Game

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
At least that list gives original Space Hulk recognition it deserves; that game really is excellent "fuck, fuck, FUCK I'm going to panic & die" -experience.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
His critis of Chaos Gate issues are somewhat legit, but Chaos marines were not really that long to kill (Krak grenades were relatively quick, and assault or heavy weapons even quicker, so that would only apply for the first missions). The maps also presented varied situations, and deciding how to deal with the opposing heavy hitters (that could snipe your marines from the other part of the map) was quite tense.
Also, it is miles better than most of the titles to which he gave a better ranking.
There is no way Space Crusade may be ranked higher (and it is the game I was obsessed about, and that I tried to replicate as I could not get a copy):
Here is my attempt to make something similar on my Atari STe at that time.
ERVDMJmWoAIzF3t
Chaos Gate just has much better game mechanics (also Space Crusade has a worse UI, and manages to be slow to play. I still love it btw).

Battle of Tallarn, and the turn based space Hulk just don't compare well to Chaos Gate (the other are in pretty different genres, so it is much harder to measure them).

Edit: I updated my list with some of the main 40K mods. I didn't include Stellaris mod, because I don't know what are the prereq to install it.

Last edited:

Norfleet

Alternatively you could use A,B,C,D,E tier like a normal human being. S,S+, fuck off with that shit.
Yeah, what the hell is this "S" shit? Do people not know how the alphabet works or something? If you needed that many tiers, S would come WAAAY down near the bottom. Plus, shit starts with S. Having S be shit-tier would be fair.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Alternatively you could use A,B,C,D,E tier like a normal human being. S,S+, fuck off with that shit.
Yeah, what the hell is this "S" shit? Do people not know how the alphabet works or something? If you needed that many tiers, S would come WAAAY down near the bottom. Plus, shit starts with S. Having S be shit-tier would be fair.
S is Special and is indeed "above" A in Tier Lists that use it.

S+ is too much IMO. At this point, just call your S => A, your A => B, etc.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
My list from best to worst Warhammer games I played:

Shadow of the Horned Rat
Dark Omen
Final Liberation
Rites of War
Chaos Gate
Dawn of War
Total War Warhammer 2
Inquisitor
Blood Bowl
Vermintide
Armageddon
Mark of Chaos
Dawn of War 2

not perfect but i loved / love those games and they would also appear in my favourite games without the warhammer license ( in no particular order )

-Dark Omen
-Final Liberation
-Total War Warhammmer 2
-Sanctus Reach
-Gladius: Relics of War (my current favourite)

plenty of room for improvement but still good games:

-Shadow of the Horned Rat
-Space Hulk Deathwing
-Space Marine
-Dawn of War 2: Retribution
-Dawn of War 1: Dark Crusade
-Inquisitor Martyr

lots of stuff to criticize but i still had some hours of fun:

-Mordheim
-Battlefleet Gothic Armada
-Armaggedon / Da Orkz
-Chaos Gate
-Rites of War
-Vermintide
-Blood Bowl
-Mechanicus

My love for warhammer started with Dark Omen and Final Liberation when they came out. Chaos Gate and Rites of War were the first disappointments afterwards because those felt like cheap 40k knockoffs of much better games , but i still enjoyed both. I wasnt all that impressed with dawn of War initially because the singleplayer vanilla campaign was lame, uninspired and very short and i m not much of a RTS MP guy but Dark Crusade (and the many mods for it) and later for DOW2 Retribution were fun for me.

And while i have love/hate relationships with over half the games on the list the only one i actually reget buying is Mark of Chaos - what a freaking disappointment and utter shit show. Dawn of War 3 i never bought, already seeing the faggot developers while following the game was a big warning sign and at some steam freeplay event later i found out how shit it is without paying for it.

Why Sanctus Reach and Gladius arent more popular beats me - apart from being good warhammer games they are also good turn based strategy games in their own right. Thankfully Gladius dev team is like 3 people so the small playerbase seems to be worth it releasing lots of new content and apparently even sanctus reach might have a sequel in development

GW Games I loved, and that are still great:
- Chaos Gate: The one I preferred, both in atmosphere and gameplay.
- Final Liberation: Pretty great too, but titan spam spoils the end game. Also, I think the game system lacks nuance, and made weird balance changes by mixing Steel Panthers, Epic Space Marines, and Epic 40K. Also, where are the promised expansions?
- Dawn of War: Why did they have to butcher its sequels?
- Blood Bowl #: It also perfectly reproduces GW eye gouging practices
- Dark Omen
- Warhammer Total War : it is quite "fiddly", but really addictive
- Rites of War: I thought the rest of the serie was at the operational scale. Why am I playing with the same system at the squad/hero scale? Granted, it was the same for Fantasy General. Still a solid entry, but I much prefer the other SSI 40K games.

Almost There:
- 40K Deathwatch: Cool level design, and game system, spoiled by a slow movement speed, a bad UI, and a terribly bad looting system. Still a pretty good game despite all of it
- Mordheim: Nice system, but fiddling with doorway and positioning can get old, and it forces risk avoidance too much, as wounds can be crippling.
- Gladius: the best of the recent 40K games IMO. It has a nice combat system, but the economic system is needlessly complicated, and is more about optimizing production than meaningful choice (ie, you don't really choose how to specialize, but you need to assess the right number of buildings of each type to get to avoid the spiral of slow economic death).
- Sanctus Reach: Good system, but wtf were they thinking about having a campaign where you control a random subset of your force pool (you don't even know what is in here...) every battle?
- MEchanicus: Poorly balanced, with a tons of option to balance it yourself. I suppose some settings work to give a satisfying experience? It is oozing with atmosphere, though.
- Dawn of War 2: Not as good as the one, but the SP campaign was nice.
- Battlefleet Gothic mobile: This one is faithful to the tabletop, but on a mobile screen, with a mediocre UI, I found it took too long to play. Still a good adaptation I think (well, I cannot be 100% sure given I never played the TT).

Not quite there, but playable
-Space Wolf: The game is playable on PC (have fun playing on mobile without paying, with 3% of the card pool). It is an OK card based tactical game, but feels a bit repetitive, and getting cards is very grindy (unless you feel like copy pasting promo codes every week...)
- Warhammer Quest: Quite addictive, but repetitive too, and feels like an endless grind.
- Any modern flavor of Space Hulk: Deathwing has tons of documented issues, the board game port was way too slow, with a dumb alien AI. Ascension is not bad, though, but the UI still felt unresponsive. I haven't tried SH: Tactics
- 40K Armageddon: Not much to add. All has been said on the thread. I still like it despite its flaws, though
- Freeblade: enjoyable, until it try to coerce you to watch adds or give money...
- Adeptus Titanicus: I think it uses the rules of Epic 2nd edition (also named Adeptus Titanicus) or maybe one of the latter rulesets. It is still in early Access. It plays well currenrlty, but lacks content (no campaign, and not a lot of different enemies to face). It only features Titans. Knights have been hinted, but it won't have the combined arms we all loved from Final Liberation (partly because of licensing issues. GW hands a lot of licences over, but with very restrictive conditions). It has the same issue as its TT counterpart: when Adeptus Titanicus (1st edition) came out, it felt like a barebone Battletech. I suppose it is the reason why vehicles and infantry were added (leading to Space Marines and Epic).
- Legacy of Dorn: Herald of Oblivion: hoose your Own adventure . They sadly just lost the licence. It was a "good for what it is" game: It also has all the issues of COYA (choices that seem arbitrary, and not the most interesting combat in the world), but it was a good exemple of the genre, with nice retro presentation.

Could be good with 10 times the development time
- Man o War: What would happen if you took Akella games (Sea Dogs, City of Abandonned ships), stripped down the combat, the content and made the UI worse, while porting them to the Warhammer universe. The game could have been good with better melee combat, but in its current state, it is barely serviceable. The gameplay is worse than MnB mods on sea.

GW games I loved that probably didn't age well
- Space Crusade (Atari ST) : It didn't age well, and is very random, too slow and a bit repetitive. Still interesting as the decisions are usually not that easy (as your marines can die pretty quickly, you constantly have to weight getting back to the ship, or pushing with the mission.
- Space Hulk[1993], the tactical kind of FPS with pause timer. This one was the most stressful of the space hulk implementations, and probably the best. But I am not sure the action part has aged well (and it was a bit wonky already).

WTF were they thinking with their licence?
- Storm of Vengenace : yes, 40K totally needed a mobile game about "lane warfare" on Steam
- Regicide: Maybe it is good, who knows? I just don't see the appeal of Chess 40K
- Horus Heresy Drop Pod Assault: Another mobile game (Boom beach 40K) that tries to make you play when it wants, and not when you want.
- Fire Warrior: Well, I have never tried it. Maybe is it better than I gave it credit for?
- Warhammer 40K: Kill Team : Warhammer turned into a simple, mediocre arcade game.

Bad GW games that got a faithful port
- Talisman: Chutes and ladder. It could be fun with beers and friends, but certainly not played by yourself on a screen.

Unknown:
Space Hulk: Revenge of the Blood Angels: Probably good Tactical FPS (it has a lot of supporters on Gog for sure)?
Battlefleet Gothic 1&2: They both appear solid, but I tried neither yet (but BFG2 seemed rushed from what I had read).
Aeronotica Imperialis: Not much enthusiasm for this one. I suppose it lacks content?

Unsorted mobile games (probably not any good?)
Mordheim: Warband Skirmish
Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Realm War
The Horus Heresy: Legions
Warhammer: Chaos & Conquest
Warhammer: Doomwheel

Freewares:
Space Crusade: Faithful to the original. Going with a single squad is very hard. With 3, it is too easy. Haven't tried 2.
Chapter Master: Well, Interstellar Army Simulator thanks to Games Workshop hating fans doing a better job than some of the devs who bought their licenses. There is a link to the 40K mod.
Fumbbl: BloodBowl for those who don't mind simple sprites or don't like getting nickel and dimed 10 times for the same game. Also less buggy than the Cyanide version.
The better Space Hulk: What if space Hulk didn't have "cinematic" walking animations that take ages to play, and a braindead AI? Here you go! This one is as faithful as possible to the TT, and it works well (as in the TT, the odds are against you, so good luck!).

Mount and Blade: Warsword Conquest is a comprehensive Warhammer mod for MnB: Warband. I tried it a long time ago, and it worked just fine iirc.

Warhammer and 40K mods:
Call of Warhammer for Medieval 2 Total War (magic and heroes are better in Total Warhammer,but the sieges are much better in MTW2).
There are a tons of war for Arma 3, I tried some ages ago, but I didn't follow much. I think the main one is this one.
40K mod for Open X-COM Yay for Space Marines that cannot hit the broad side of a barn (heh, I guess that's why they have swords!). Pretty cool, but some changes are a bit wonky (like Chimera troop transports replacing UFO).
40K XCOM2 mod list to make your own mini overhaul, but it will still feel wonky as some parts of the game will remain unchanged. Or maybe this one?

Final Liberation: There was a Chaos Mod, but it was never finished, that should be somewhere on this page. Some guy also made a mod to alter unit values and add moar Space marines here, but it is a bit bugged, so you may have to dig into it yourself.
Bonus: making Final Liberation work on Windows 10

Men of War Assault Squad 2: I never tried this one, but it seems to feature both SP and MP.

Dawn of War: Armageddon: Because bigger is better!

Great lists, i just found out about Sanctus Reach and it looked alright, a bit like Final Liberation, which i mostly enjoyed because i was playing it in hotseat multiplayer (and losing friends by wrecking their titans with cheap auto-fire canons).

So, i have a couple of questions because i'll be playing the Campaign mode only.

Games i've played:

:5/5:
  • Shadow of the Horned Rat (didn't age as well as Dark Omen though)
  • Dark Omen

:4/5:
  • Final Liberation (for the hot-seat multiplayer, more like 3.5 for the campaign)

:2/5:
  • Chaos Gate (which i only played recently and not for long, too many units on an open field with slow turns and animations ... It's fugly as well)
  • Mordheim (for the UI, the terrible optimization and the weird positioning, didn't play it much to be honest)
  • Warhammer Quest 2 (fun for a couple of hours, maybe 5, definitely less than 10)

Question
Knowing this, which one i haven't played would you recommend me, knowing i'd rather play a good Turn-Based one and fast-paced.
Also, i'll be playing it on a low end computer (i don't like games with lots of cinematics and zooms anyway)

Mostly, I'm looking at Sanctus Reach, Mechanicus, Armageddon and Battle Sector.
I'm thinking Sanctus Reach is the best bet, any advice?

Last edited by a moderator:

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
My list from best to worst Warhammer games I played:

Shadow of the Horned Rat
Dark Omen
Final Liberation
Rites of War
Chaos Gate
Dawn of War
Total War Warhammer 2
Inquisitor
Blood Bowl
Vermintide
Armageddon
Mark of Chaos
Dawn of War 2

not perfect but i loved / love those games and they would also appear in my favourite games without the warhammer license ( in no particular order )

-Dark Omen
-Final Liberation
-Total War Warhammmer 2
-Sanctus Reach
-Gladius: Relics of War (my current favourite)

plenty of room for improvement but still good games:

-Shadow of the Horned Rat
-Space Hulk Deathwing
-Space Marine
-Dawn of War 2: Retribution
-Dawn of War 1: Dark Crusade
-Inquisitor Martyr

lots of stuff to criticize but i still had some hours of fun:

-Mordheim
-Battlefleet Gothic Armada
-Armaggedon / Da Orkz
-Chaos Gate
-Rites of War
-Vermintide
-Blood Bowl
-Mechanicus

My love for warhammer started with Dark Omen and Final Liberation when they came out. Chaos Gate and Rites of War were the first disappointments afterwards because those felt like cheap 40k knockoffs of much better games , but i still enjoyed both. I wasnt all that impressed with dawn of War initially because the singleplayer vanilla campaign was lame, uninspired and very short and i m not much of a RTS MP guy but Dark Crusade (and the many mods for it) and later for DOW2 Retribution were fun for me.

And while i have love/hate relationships with over half the games on the list the only one i actually reget buying is Mark of Chaos - what a freaking disappointment and utter shit show. Dawn of War 3 i never bought, already seeing the faggot developers while following the game was a big warning sign and at some steam freeplay event later i found out how shit it is without paying for it.

Why Sanctus Reach and Gladius arent more popular beats me - apart from being good warhammer games they are also good turn based strategy games in their own right. Thankfully Gladius dev team is like 3 people so the small playerbase seems to be worth it releasing lots of new content and apparently even sanctus reach might have a sequel in development

GW Games I loved, and that are still great:
- Chaos Gate: The one I preferred, both in atmosphere and gameplay.
- Final Liberation: Pretty great too, but titan spam spoils the end game. Also, I think the game system lacks nuance, and made weird balance changes by mixing Steel Panthers, Epic Space Marines, and Epic 40K. Also, where are the promised expansions?
- Dawn of War: Why did they have to butcher its sequels?
- Blood Bowl #: It also perfectly reproduces GW eye gouging practices
- Dark Omen
- Warhammer Total War : it is quite "fiddly", but really addictive
- Rites of War: I thought the rest of the serie was at the operational scale. Why am I playing with the same system at the squad/hero scale? Granted, it was the same for Fantasy General. Still a solid entry, but I much prefer the other SSI 40K games.

Almost There:
- 40K Deathwatch: Cool level design, and game system, spoiled by a slow movement speed, a bad UI, and a terribly bad looting system. Still a pretty good game despite all of it
- Mordheim: Nice system, but fiddling with doorway and positioning can get old, and it forces risk avoidance too much, as wounds can be crippling.
- Gladius: the best of the recent 40K games IMO. It has a nice combat system, but the economic system is needlessly complicated, and is more about optimizing production than meaningful choice (ie, you don't really choose how to specialize, but you need to assess the right number of buildings of each type to get to avoid the spiral of slow economic death).
- Sanctus Reach: Good system, but wtf were they thinking about having a campaign where you control a random subset of your force pool (you don't even know what is in here...) every battle?
- MEchanicus: Poorly balanced, with a tons of option to balance it yourself. I suppose some settings work to give a satisfying experience? It is oozing with atmosphere, though.
- Dawn of War 2: Not as good as the one, but the SP campaign was nice.
- Battlefleet Gothic mobile: This one is faithful to the tabletop, but on a mobile screen, with a mediocre UI, I found it took too long to play. Still a good adaptation I think (well, I cannot be 100% sure given I never played the TT).

Not quite there, but playable
-Space Wolf: The game is playable on PC (have fun playing on mobile without paying, with 3% of the card pool). It is an OK card based tactical game, but feels a bit repetitive, and getting cards is very grindy (unless you feel like copy pasting promo codes every week...)
- Warhammer Quest: Quite addictive, but repetitive too, and feels like an endless grind.
- Any modern flavor of Space Hulk: Deathwing has tons of documented issues, the board game port was way too slow, with a dumb alien AI. Ascension is not bad, though, but the UI still felt unresponsive. I haven't tried SH: Tactics
- 40K Armageddon: Not much to add. All has been said on the thread. I still like it despite its flaws, though
- Freeblade: enjoyable, until it try to coerce you to watch adds or give money...
- Adeptus Titanicus: I think it uses the rules of Epic 2nd edition (also named Adeptus Titanicus) or maybe one of the latter rulesets. It is still in early Access. It plays well currenrlty, but lacks content (no campaign, and not a lot of different enemies to face). It only features Titans. Knights have been hinted, but it won't have the combined arms we all loved from Final Liberation (partly because of licensing issues. GW hands a lot of licences over, but with very restrictive conditions). It has the same issue as its TT counterpart: when Adeptus Titanicus (1st edition) came out, it felt like a barebone Battletech. I suppose it is the reason why vehicles and infantry were added (leading to Space Marines and Epic).
- Legacy of Dorn: Herald of Oblivion: hoose your Own adventure . They sadly just lost the licence. It was a "good for what it is" game: It also has all the issues of COYA (choices that seem arbitrary, and not the most interesting combat in the world), but it was a good exemple of the genre, with nice retro presentation.

Could be good with 10 times the development time
- Man o War: What would happen if you took Akella games (Sea Dogs, City of Abandonned ships), stripped down the combat, the content and made the UI worse, while porting them to the Warhammer universe. The game could have been good with better melee combat, but in its current state, it is barely serviceable. The gameplay is worse than MnB mods on sea.

GW games I loved that probably didn't age well
- Space Crusade (Atari ST) : It didn't age well, and is very random, too slow and a bit repetitive. Still interesting as the decisions are usually not that easy (as your marines can die pretty quickly, you constantly have to weight getting back to the ship, or pushing with the mission.
- Space Hulk[1993], the tactical kind of FPS with pause timer. This one was the most stressful of the space hulk implementations, and probably the best. But I am not sure the action part has aged well (and it was a bit wonky already).

WTF were they thinking with their licence?
- Storm of Vengenace : yes, 40K totally needed a mobile game about "lane warfare" on Steam
- Regicide: Maybe it is good, who knows? I just don't see the appeal of Chess 40K
- Horus Heresy Drop Pod Assault: Another mobile game (Boom beach 40K) that tries to make you play when it wants, and not when you want.
- Fire Warrior: Well, I have never tried it. Maybe is it better than I gave it credit for?
- Warhammer 40K: Kill Team : Warhammer turned into a simple, mediocre arcade game.

Bad GW games that got a faithful port
- Talisman: Chutes and ladder. It could be fun with beers and friends, but certainly not played by yourself on a screen.

Unknown:
Space Hulk: Revenge of the Blood Angels: Probably good Tactical FPS (it has a lot of supporters on Gog for sure)?
Battlefleet Gothic 1&2: They both appear solid, but I tried neither yet (but BFG2 seemed rushed from what I had read).
Aeronotica Imperialis: Not much enthusiasm for this one. I suppose it lacks content?

Unsorted mobile games (probably not any good?)
Mordheim: Warband Skirmish
Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Realm War
The Horus Heresy: Legions
Warhammer: Chaos & Conquest
Warhammer: Doomwheel

Freewares:
Space Crusade: Faithful to the original. Going with a single squad is very hard. With 3, it is too easy. Haven't tried 2.
Chapter Master: Well, Interstellar Army Simulator thanks to Games Workshop hating fans doing a better job than some of the devs who bought their licenses. There is a link to the 40K mod.
Fumbbl: BloodBowl for those who don't mind simple sprites or don't like getting nickel and dimed 10 times for the same game. Also less buggy than the Cyanide version.
The better Space Hulk: What if space Hulk didn't have "cinematic" walking animations that take ages to play, and a braindead AI? Here you go! This one is as faithful as possible to the TT, and it works well (as in the TT, the odds are against you, so good luck!).

Mount and Blade: Warsword Conquest is a comprehensive Warhammer mod for MnB: Warband. I tried it a long time ago, and it worked just fine iirc.

Warhammer and 40K mods:
Call of Warhammer for Medieval 2 Total War (magic and heroes are better in Total Warhammer,but the sieges are much better in MTW2).
There are a tons of war for Arma 3, I tried some ages ago, but I didn't follow much. I think the main one is this one.
40K mod for Open X-COM Yay for Space Marines that cannot hit the broad side of a barn (heh, I guess that's why they have swords!). Pretty cool, but some changes are a bit wonky (like Chimera troop transports replacing UFO).
40K XCOM2 mod list to make your own mini overhaul, but it will still feel wonky as some parts of the game will remain unchanged. Or maybe this one?

Final Liberation: There was a Chaos Mod, but it was never finished, that should be somewhere on this page. Some guy also made a mod to alter unit values and add moar Space marines here, but it is a bit bugged, so you may have to dig into it yourself.
Bonus: making Final Liberation work on Windows 10

Men of War Assault Squad 2: I never tried this one, but it seems to feature both SP and MP.

Dawn of War: Armageddon: Because bigger is better!

Great lists, i just found out about Sanctus Reach and it looked alright, a bit like Final Liberation, which i mostly enjoyed because i was playing it in hotseat multiplayer (and losing friends by wrecking their titans with cheap auto-fire canons).

So, i have a couple of questions because i'll be playing the Campaign mode only.

Games i've played:

• Dark Omen

• Final Liberation (for the hot-seat multiplayer, more like 3.5 for the campaign)

• Chaos Gate (which i only played recently and not for long, too many units on an open field with slow turns and animations ... It's fugly as well)
  • Mordheim (for the UI, the terrible optimization and the weird positioning, didn't play it much to be honest)
  • Warhammer Quest 2 (fun for a couple of hours, maybe 5, definitely less than 10)

Question
Knowing this, which one i haven't played would you recommend me, knowing i'd rather play a good Turn-Based one.
Also, i'll be playing it on a low end computer (i don't like games with lots of cinematics and zooms anyway)

Rites of War is great if you like games like Panzer General. Also it has a plus of focusing on playing something else besides space marines.

Gladius is pretty fun although you'll need the dlc to get most fun out of it.

Mechanicus is well received here so there is thread about it for more information. Personally i played it a short amount of time and it just didn't click with me. But I am planning to give it another try.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Rites of War is great if you like games like Panzer General. Also it has a plus of focusing on playing something else besides space marines.

Gladius is pretty fun although you'll need the dlc to get most fun out of it.

Mechanicus is well received here so there is thread about it for more information. Personally i played it a short amount of time and it just didn't click with me. But I am planning to give it another try.

Thanks for the infos, Gladius looks like a 4X slog, i'm searching for something fast-paced.

Found Rites of War on gog (-75% = 1.3€), it's a steal and it just won the race.

Maybe Mechanicus and Sanctus Reach later on sale, they're expensive for what I expect from them.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer

Games i've played:

• Dark Omen

Question
Knowing this, which one i haven't played would you recommend me, knowing i'd rather play a good Turn-Based one and fast-paced.

Mostly, I'm looking at Sanctus Reach, Mechanicus, Armageddon and Battle Sector.

There is a move animation slider for Chaos Gate. You can even make them instant iirc.
Gladius is 4X, but focused on combat only. It works best in teams, so add a few AI allies, and play against allied AI for best results. It is fast pace, but for a 4X...

Sanctus Reach is good, it is lacking in some areasa compared to FLib, but it has better AI. I think it is the better of the modern ones.

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
There is a move animation slider for Chaos Gate. You can even make them instant iirc.
Gladius is 4X, but focused on combat only. It works best in teams, so add a few AI allies, and play against allied AI for best results. It is fast pace, but for a 4X...

Sanctus Reach is good, it is lacking in some areasa compared to FLib, but it has better AI. I think it is the better of the modern ones.

Battle Sector seems to have some potential too, when it's patched enough with some DLC, it might be good with a high end computer (seems to have long loading screens issue for now)

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer

Battle Sector seems to have some potential too, when it's patched enough with some DLC, it might be good with a high end computer (seems to have long loading screens issue for now)
I think it has the potential to become pretty good, but currently, it doesn't offer enough challenge IMO, and the end of each mission is a slog because you need to clear all of the reinforcements that spawned during the mission (so 10-12 units usually), even though you hae completed all of your objectives.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I think it has the potential to become pretty good, but currently, it doesn't offer enough challenge IMO, and the end of each mission is a slog because you need to clear all of the reinforcements that spawned during the mission (so 10-12 units usually), even though you hae completed all of your objectives.

Thanks for the feedback, did you experience long loading screens as well? (i got that from reviews)

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I played 2 missions from Sanstus Reach, first one on normal; Wolf campaign, the 3rd or 4th where your start next to your wrecked "battleship".
It was so easy i picked max difficulty for the next one.

25 enemies against about half that number (maybe 14 units, i'm not sure), and thinking I was playing first, i put all my troops closest to the enemy (which you can't see during deployment) with only half under cover.
They didn't kill a single one and i butchered every single one of them.

3 units were almost dead, maybe 3 or four close to half health, my helo amogst them, it was the only scary moment during the first turn when i thought they might destroy it.

It's a shame, it's fun and with smaller maps than Final Liberation, which is a good thing, i feel like the orcs are way weaker because the AI seems to do the job.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Got a "fuck you" level up on third mission, when you level up a unit on the last kill, you don't get the upgrade screen.
The worst part being i've had read about it but didn't think it was about this warhammer...

Well, I didn't reload, i'll just not use this unit if i can help it.

And of course, i had 3 landspeeders available last mission and now, only one and it is THE unit...

Besides this, it's quite good.
Funny thing, i just read a steam negative review (recent ones) and the guy is complaining saying the computer cheats, probably a sore loser.

Posted: 30 August
What absolute unforgivable garbage. The "Campaign" is nothing more than random skirmishes with a little bit of flavor text. Nothing you do matters from one mission to the next. The game uses standard "computer cheat" methods. In your hands units can't hit the broad side of a planet. In the computers hand the same units are elite, commando, ninja, death dealers.

Even funnier, on max difficulty, no reloads, i've lost 1 unit in 4 missions against 2 to 4 times more opponents.
Clearly, the guy doesn't understand how weapons work in Warhammer, looks like your average FO4/PoE player.

I've lost the fourth one though, forgot about the mission which was to extract one transport out of three available, i had so much fun wrecking everything and hiding from the two beasts guarding the extraction area i never watched the timer and forgot about it (19 turns).
From the report, they throw 4x your number of units at you, even more because i didn't wreck the latest reinforcements from the western area (extraction was east).

It's simple but it works so far, maybe it gets a bit repetitive later on.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom