Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - Void Shadows DLC coming August 8th

My Commissar-Trader was more like Cain or Gaunt, I killed only heretics, traitors and cowards but not brave men who might be... led astray, after all they were just commoners and should be led better.
my rt was warrior priest from death world. zero tolerance.

"There is no place for the weak-willed or hesitant. Only by firm action and resolute faith will mankind survive. No sacrifice is too great. No treachery too small."

Liber Doctrina Ordo Hereticus, Chapter XXVIII, "Exterminatus"

:bravo:

Indeed when I tried to show a modicum of so called ''reason'' and ''understanding'' towards the heretics, the mutant, the xeno and witch game never failed to show me how stupid I was by making those choices hinder me later.
The end of the prologue has this in big flashing lights, where not blowing the new demon world to piss and back gives you 0 positives and a permanent malus.

That being said, the rogue trader is willing to hear out faithful servants of big E who find themselves in a tight spot. Their lives may be forfeit, but their grievances shall not.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
:hmmm:

Clipboard02.jpg

This is one of those moments where I used toybox with no bad feelings, simply because it felt like a balancing issue that is unlikely to be looked into. Cargo is pretty limited as well, and you'll be able to, at most, max 2 reputations by the end of the game, which is unfortunate. There's a few colony buildings that regularly give consumables, but I don't remember if any of them actually give Melta Charges.
If you pump Tech and Logic, you can open most of those doors w/o charges. At the start of CH 4 I had 10+ in inventory…. Unless OC “rebalanced” the distribution in the past month or something silly.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
If you pump Tech and Logic, you can open most of those doors w/o charges. At the start of CH 4 I had 10+ in inventory…. Unless OC “rebalanced” the distribution in the past month or something silly.
I personally never had any issues with them either. Demolition in general is kind of pointless, traps are done in a horrendous way in this game anyway so its really just easier to run through them all and patch up the traumas with a high medicae character instead of bothering with disarming anything.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Of course last patch now has new bugs and this one seemed to nerf Ulfar even more :D
Now it seems when I use WildFire his ranged attack still costs 1 AP.. probably in combination with Armsmaster that says after melee kill ranged attacks are -1 AP (min 1) :D
They did say in patch notes something about fixing 0 ap combinations or something.. I guess their idea of fixing Armsmaster was to fuck up other skills..
They made this system so complicated they will never be able to fix this without braking other stuff.
And I lost the will to even report bugs. In addition to talents and abilities not working most of the items are not either or only part working..
I got Ulfar new Chain Sword, description says it gives +10% crit chance and +50% crit damage but in combat it only gives +25% crit damage..

Incendax

Augur
I do not know how Heretic playthrough works but Dogmatic has shown all cultists being straight evil or crazy. There is none of these duped to become a cultist types.
The Warden from the prison world in Rykad was duped. The populace of Rykad Minoris itself were probably duped with "The Truth", since planets full of people don't just go batshit crazy in a few hours (though there's also lots of assumed torture happening after the fact). The mayor of Janus was duped. Etc.

But yes, the Heretic playthrough has several dupings and outright mind control. The most notable are probably feeding Janus/Footfall tainted foodstuffs to bend their will, Hieronymus Doloroso can be diplomanced to become a worshipper of Nurgle, Idira can be diplomanced into letting the voices flood her mind, etc.

Last edited:

Zariusz

Arbiter
But yes, the Heretic playthrough has several dupings and outright mind control. The most notable are probably feeding Janus tainted foodstuffs to bend their will, Hieronymus Doloroso can be diplomanced to become a worshipper of Nurgle, Idira can be diplomanced into letting the voices flood her mind, etc.
Really? Does this have anything to do with that reactor fixing that we can judge him to do it?

Last edited:

Incendax

Augur
But yes, the Heretic playthrough has several dupings and outright mind control. The most notable are probably feeding Janus tainted foodstuffs to bend their will, Hieronymus Doloroso can be diplomanced to become a worshipper of Nurgle, Idira can be diplomanced into letting the voices flood her mind, etc.
Really? Does this have anything to do with that reactor fixing that we can judge him to do it?
You judge him for torturing and manipulating Incendia, and turning her into a weapon for his crusade against the vices of humanity. Then you accuse him of doing all of this because he's afraid of death (yup), and you promise him a NEW path that will avoid ever having to die.

Some of the conversation options trigger angry remarks from your companions, but there is a finesse path that triggers no complaints from them. I'm not sure how or why Hieronymus' actions are connected to a fear of death, but whatever. Most people fear death, so it sort of works if Hieronymus was hiding that as his chief vice the entire time. In any case, you smooth talk him into Papa Nurgle's embrace until he's literally preaching life everlasting to his flock in the Atrium while flies buzz in and out of his mouth.

Rhobar121

Scholar
You judge him for torturing and manipulating Incendia, and turning her into a weapon for his crusade against the vices of humanity. Then you accuse him of doing all of this because he's afraid of death (yup), and you promise him a NEW path that will avoid ever having to die.

Some of the conversation options trigger angry remarks from your companions, but there is a finesse path that triggers no complaints from them. I'm not sure how or why Hieronymus' actions are connected to a fear of death, but whatever. Most people fear death, so it sort of works if Hieronymus was hiding that as his chief vice the entire time. In any case, you smooth talk him into Papa Nurgle's embrace until he's literally preaching life everlasting to his flock in the Atrium while flies buzz in and out of his mouth.
I see consistency is strong in this game.
It's funny because, as a dogmatic, he goes on a suicide mission without any hesitation.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I just found out that's you're an obscenely rich Rogue Trader who can gift people a medical universitity with a wave of the hand, but for some reason you can't buy extra melta charges when you realize you need them (and are apparently extremely rare). Who thought this was sensible design? My option now is to get reputation with Fellowship of the Void up to level 9(!) just to obtain 3 charges, use a mod or hope I find some more during Act 3.

One of the funniest things is when you find shit in your own ship in crates (in those missions when warp stuff happens) - that you then put to trade.

I should say I've always found it jarring to be a lead character and poking about in crates and shit in such an undignified manner, in nearly every RPG, bar those where you genuinely start off as a schlub. That's the sort of thing your minions should be doing (e.g. your warrior should be poking about looking for weapons and armor, your mage for herbs and that, etc.)

Re. the convo above: Iconoclast choices are by no means all pussy choices, they're still pretty hardcore sometimes, it's just that the hardcore choices are balanced by occasionally humanistic choices, which I suppose is the point.

Incendax

Augur
I see consistency is strong in this game.
It's funny because, as a dogmatic, he goes on a suicide mission without any hesitation.
I assume it's just Chaos diplomancer stuff, since there are several times on the Heretic path where the game describes you speaking "Forbidden Words" or "hypnotize" them and suddenly someone trusts everything you say, even if it's ridiculous.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I just found out that's you're an obscenely rich Rogue Trader who can gift people a medical universitity with a wave of the hand, but for some reason you can't buy extra melta charges when you realize you need them (and are apparently extremely rare). Who thought this was sensible design? My option now is to get reputation with Fellowship of the Void up to level 9(!) just to obtain 3 charges, use a mod or hope I find some more during Act 3.

One of the funniest things is when you find shit in your own ship in crates (in those missions when warp stuff happens) - that you then put to trade.

I should say I've always found it jarring to be a lead character and poking about in crates and shit in such an undignified manner, in nearly every RPG, bar those where you genuinely start off as a schlub. That's the sort of thing your minions should be doing (e.g. your warrior should be poking about looking for weapons and armor, your mage for herbs and that, etc.)

Re. the convo above: Iconoclast choices are by no means all pussy choices, they're still pretty hardcore sometimes, it's just that the hardcore choices are balanced by occasionally humanistic choices, which I suppose is the point.
Earlier in the game where they put some details into the game there was one instance where Abelard calls you out for picking up "trash" as it is beneath RT to do so :D

ArchAngel

Arcane

Harthwain

Magister
Demolition in general is kind of pointless, traps are done in a horrendous way in this game anyway so its really just easier to run through them all and patch up the traumas with a high medicae character instead of bothering with disarming anything.
Demolition is useful for ship's posts and being able to remove traps without having to waste medkits (when you don't have replenishable supply of them, or just want a different bonus from your colony) is nice also. Honestly, I'd say that disarming explosive traps should give you a melta charge. That'd solve the problem of not having enough of them and reduce the need to rely on other means of opening the doors for those who don't take characters with lockpicking skill.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom