Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wargames for Beginners

EmoBunny

Savant
I'm looking for a good strategic wargame that I can sink my teeth into that's not too complex, but is still deep enough to be satisfactory to play.

The only real experience I have with wargames is Panzer General, Civil War Generals 2, and Ageod's American Civil War.

Setting isn't important.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Tiller's games are pretty simple. War in the East is also pretty simple to play, although has lots of depth and things going on behind the scenes. Hm, but I guess that HoI 2-3 might be the best choice.

EDIT: Oh, and Unity of Command. Nice, good looking game.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Wargames for beginners? Panzer Corps is a nifty remake of the old Panzer General games. There is also the fanmade remake called PG Forever. More recent additions to the genre that are easy to get into are Unity of Command (Panzer general with supply routes) or Decisive Campaigns: From Warsaw to Paris. That last one is much deeper but still very accessible.

Achtung Panzer: Operation Star mixes both a turn based campaign with real time battles on the east front. Best looking wargame around and great fun to play. Does have a little learning curve but you'll get the hang.

Oldskool wargames that are very easy to get into are the Battle Island games. The entire series can be found collected on GoG and is very neat.

John Tiller also made a number of great and easy to get into wargames. The Campaign series collection is old but amazing with the eastfront, westfront and pacific all covered. It's massive and one of my all-time favourites. There is also Panzer Campaigns of which I particularly like the Smolensk '41 and Kharkov '43 ones. Squad Battles is all about small scale engagements. Advance of the Reich and Winter War are both great. Red Victory is rumored to be very good as well but I haven't tried that one yet.

Hearts of Iron III by Paradox is a fun WWII sandbox to play around in with tech, diplomacy, industry and all covered. Quite fun and very accessible. Strategic Command: World War I is also rumored to be very nifty and large scale. Have not tried it yet myself but heard very good things about it. War in the East is the defenitive wargame on the eastern front by legend developer Gary Grigsby. However it is massive and has a manual running in the 100's of pages. I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner. War in Russia is its forerunner and not as massive but also quite archaic. Then again, it's free.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
A good recent strategic wargame thats quick and piss easy to play is Strategic War in Europe. You can finish a whole 'war' in a few hours.

Another good one with a bit more depth is Commander Europe at War. It's basically Panzer General on a strategic scale.

EmoBunny

Savant
Thanks for all the replies, I'll definitely check most of these suggestions out.

EmoBunny

Savant
Wargames for beginners? Panzer Corps is a nifty remake of the old Panzer General games. There is also the fanmade remake called PG Forever. More recent additions to the genre that are easy to get into are Unity of Command (Panzer general with supply routes) or Decisive Campaigns: From Warsaw to Paris. That last one is much deeper but still very accessible.

Achtung Panzer: Operation Star mixes both a turn based campaign with real time battles on the east front. Best looking wargame around and great fun to play. Does have a little learning curve but you'll get the hang.

Oldskool wargames that are very easy to get into are the Battle Island games. The entire series can be found collected on GoG and is very neat.

John Tiller also made a number of great and easy to get into wargames. The Campaign series collection is old but amazing with the eastfront, westfront and pacific all covered. It's massive and one of my all-time favourites. There is also Panzer Campaigns of which I particularly like the Smolensk '41 and Kharkov '43 ones. Squad Battles is all about small scale engagements. Advance of the Reich and Winter War are both great. Red Victory is rumored to be very good as well but I haven't tried that one yet.

Hearts of Iron III by Paradox is a fun WWII sandbox to play around in with tech, diplomacy, industry and all covered. Quite fun and very accessible. Strategic Command: World War I is also rumored to be very nifty and large scale. Have not tried it yet myself but heard very good things about it. War in the East is the defenitive wargame on the eastern front by legend developer Gary Grigsby. However it is massive and has a manual running in the 100's of pages. I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner. War in Russia is its forerunner and not as massive but also quite archaic. Then again, it's free.

This particularly sounds interesting; can you elaborate on how it plays exactly?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom