Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wargamer reviews Unity of Command

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
<strong>[ Review ]</strong>

<p>Wargamer has examined <a href="http://unityofcommand.net/">Unity Of Command</a> </p><blockquote><p>Overall I'd heavily recommend <em>Unity of Command</em> for all wargamers, both wet-behind-the-ears type and the grizzled grays. <em>Unity of Command</em> is easy to get into, yet one of those wargames that challenges you in a way to not make you walk away, but to make you sit up straight and huff some steam out of your nose and say, Alright, lets <em>try</em> that again! The AI in some of the harder scenarios can definitely put some of the more experienced wargamers through some heated moments, but not in a cheating fashion. With the added benefit of quick scenarios and a branching campaign, <em>Unity of Command</em> is definitely one to put on your radar.</p></blockquote><p><a href="http://www.wargamer.com/article/3127/pc-game-review-unity-of-command">Read full review </a> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://www.wargamer.com/">The Wargamer</a></p>

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I beta tested it and the AI is definitely a demon compared to most games with its aggression and ability to identify all the weak points such as a thin line of defense in front of supply lines or an over extented salient. It will pull back units to protect key areas as well as press home an attack to stop a build up of forces in a critical area if need be. All the scenarios are balanced in a way that you'll be sweating to the end, with victory only assured(if it ever even will be) at the last possible turn. This is actually a bit of a problem as it makes the game a bit too 'puzzley' like the PG series with it's major/minor victories where you end up having to do something in exactly the right way(and pray that the dice rolls are favourable) in order to gain a major victory as opposed to a minor or a defeat. Since in UOC you get a decreasing amount of command points as a reward if you don't take key areas by a certain time(maybe even none) and the deadlines are incredibly tight, it all gets a bit gamey. A couple more turns leeway here and there could really help in some scenarios but that's just a minor balancing issue that I'm sure will be changed or modded.

Johnny the Mule

Educated
This would be the first game I bought in at least 5 years...
So tempting...
But meh, I have better entertainment right now!
Nothing like trying to squeeze in a custom Huffman table compression into 2 kB of RAM to save some space on a 1 kB EEPROM
LOLOLOLOLOL

Monk

Arcane
The points about the AI are notable, although I hope that one time someone can make something like Meier's "Command Series," i.e., real-time instead of turn-based (you pause to issue commands), more realistic names and stats for units (e.g., Guards Armored Division, 10,828 tanks, etc.) , divisions, regiments, etc., for units, and so forth.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom