Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

VD's New Vegas review is up at NMA

Educated
Havoc said:
Humanity has risen! said:
What's that stuff about it being nonsensical for the NCR to establish a democracy from the get go? People had lived democratically for a few centuries. It makes sense that those ideals would've survived and everyone didn't just want to rule the world like some nihilistic twat.

Because democracy has failed as a system, like it is now?
Guys, I'n not playing New Vegas now, cause I'm waiting for the big patch. So I don't know yet about Nevadian democracy. But there were slaves in Greek democratic city states and in Roman Republic. It would've made much more sense if NCR followed Ancient Greek/Roman rather than Modern American model of democracy. Ilots and all that. But the game's made by Americans, and we shouldn't expect too much from them. But still...

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It would make sense if the residents of FO universe were largely uneducated brutes, yet for some odd reason everyone knows how to read and write and is well versed on things that haven't existed in their society for hundreds of years...

peanuts

Novice
i'd rather him work on aod, but i guess he doesn't care about it enough

Shady Sands was populated by the survivors of Vault 15. It makes sense for the former vault dwellers to cling to the American model of democracy after leaving their vault, since they were raised in that fashion and it's the only system they've had the experience with. So, a democratic NCR makes sense from that perspective.

When the rest are concerned, other, more primitive types of society would be a logical fit.

Educated
Shady Sands was populated by the survivors of Vault 15. It makes sense for the former vault dwellers to cling to the American model of democracy after leaving their vault, since they were raised in that fashion and it's the only system they've had the experience with. So, a democratic NCR makes sense from that perspective.
That wouldn't make economic sense due to the lack of industrialized agriculture/manufacturing.

Also, a Vault society must've been communist (in the economic sense of the word) :smug:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Der Judenjäger said:
First, democracy is about elected officials. If I recall correctly, the vaults' overseers weren't elected but instead appointed by Vault-Tec, often being given special instuctions, which made them the supreme rulers, not accountable to people.

Second, Aradesh founded Shady Sands and ruled it until Tandi took over. This family was in charge for 100 years. This is NOT a democracy, but as Caesar says, a hereditary dictatorship. The notion that Tandi, even at the tender age of 100, was so amazingly awesome and lovable that people kept reelecting her is laughable.

People are ungrateful and have very short memories:

"Although Churchill's role in the Second World War had generated much support for him amongst the British population, he was defeated in the 1945 election. Many reasons for this have been given, key among them being that a desire for post-war reform was widespread amongst the population and that the man who had led Britain in war was not seen as the man to lead the nation in peace." Etc.

In other words, there are no reasons for Shady Sands/NCR suddenly embrace democracy, especially after 100 years of grows and prosperity under dictators. Why would they want to fix what wasn't broken?

What's that stuff about it being nonsensical for the NCR to establish a democracy from the get go? People had lived democratically for a few centuries. It makes sense that those ideals would've survived and everyone didn't just want to rule the world like some nihilistic twat.
The idea wasn't new. It's been around since the BC days, but it took 2 thousand years to implement it. Why? Because it's not the idea that's important but the pre-requisites, which wouldn't exist in a post-apocalyptic world.

peanuts said:
Because I took a break to play a game and wrote a review (while I'm at work)? I also watch movies and read books. Le horror.

peanuts

Novice
Vault Dweller said:
Der Judenjäger said:
First, democracy is about elected officials. If I recall correctly, the vaults' overseers weren't elected but instead appointed by Vault-Tec, often being given special instuctions, which made them the supreme rulers, not accountable to people.

Second, Aradesh founded Shady Sands and ruled it until Tandi took over. This family was in charge for 100 years. This is NOT a democracy, but as Caesar says, a hereditary dictatorship. The notion that Tandi, even at the tender age of 100, was so amazingly awesome and lovable that people kept reelecting her is laughable.

People are ungrateful and have very short memories:

"Although Churchill's role in the Second World War had generated much support for him amongst the British population, he was defeated in the 1945 election. Many reasons for this have been given, key among them being that a desire for post-war reform was widespread amongst the population and that the man who had led Britain in war was not seen as the man to lead the nation in peace." Etc.

In other words, there are no reasons for Shady Sands/NCR suddenly embrace democracy, especially after 100 years of grows and prosperity under dictators. Why would they want to fix what wasn't broken?

The idea wasn't new. It's been around since the BC days, but it took 2 thousand years to implement it. Why? Because it's not the idea that's important but the pre-requisites, which wouldn't exist in a post-apocalyptic world.

peanuts said:
Because I took a break to play a game and wrote a review (while I'm at work)? I also watch movies and read books. Le horror.
bitch get crackin! :thumbsup:

Redeye

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
... there are no reasons for Shady Sands/NCR suddenly embrace democracy, especially after 100 years of grows and prosperity under dictators. Why would they want to fix what wasn't broken?

People are ungrateful and have very short memories

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Doesn't work like that. Under dictatorships people have no power, so their short memories and ungratefulness don't mean much. They are only a factor when they are given the power to make decisions.

Shifts to democracy don't happen without reasons. For example, the England's Petition of Right was forced because the king crossed the line (lost the war with Spain, needed more money, decided to squeeze every penny from his subjects (taxes and forced loans), dissolved the parliament, imprisoned people who refused to pay, including the nobles, etc) and the country was heading for a civil war.

I'm unaware that the NCR went through anything similar that would give people a reason to demand more power.

DefJam101

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
Der Judenjäger said:
First, democracy is about elected officials.
o_O

Oh yeah representative democracy

peanuts

Novice
Vault Dweller said:
Doesn't work like that. Under dictatorships people have no power, so their short memories and ungratefulness don't mean much. They are only a factor when they are given the power to make decisions.

Shifts to democracy don't happen without reasons. For example, the England's Petition of Right was forced because the king crossed the line (lost the war with Spain, needed more money, decided to squeeze every penny from his subjects (taxes and forced loans), dissolved the parliament, imprisoned people who refused to pay, including the nobles, etc) and the country was heading for a civil war.

I'm unaware that the NCR went through anything similar that would give people a reason to demand more power.
Bitch you're not working yet?

Radisshu

Prophet
Pre-christian Scandinavia had a pretty interesting system where Kings were elected, and were essentially dictators until they fucked up too many times, after which they got dethroned (although it didn't work that well, there were tons of conflicts with small bands supporting different kings).

genci88

Educated
Story-wise, is it OK to play New Vegas without playing Fallout 3? I've already played Fallout 1 and 2, but decided to skip 3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom