Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Valve are better comedians than they are game designers

agree/disgree

• agreed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • disagreed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rhalle

Magister
Twinkle said:
What sort of quality are you talking about? Ep 1 was just as bloomy and crappy.

Most people seem to think that Ep2 was better. I disagree, but both are lacking. Episode 1 begins with a roller-coaster ride with your virtual girlfriend back into the Citadel. That's a pretty good metaphor, I think.

Episode 1 featured the first engine compromises for consoles. The world geometry was simpler to accomodate them. Also, does anyone remember how Valve hyped the "free-world roaming" feature the game supposedly had, which was realized by a radar in the buggy that would alert on hidden items as you drove around?

Of course Episode 2 has all the soap-opera moments and exposition, so most people, it seems, say it is 'better'.

MapMan

Arcane
unlockable weapons is the worst thing that happened to tf2. Hats are less evil cause they actually dont have any gameplay value, but still, its lame. I know people who play purely for the hats. Its a new fad, they collect hats instead of stamps. Whenever i entered a server, kids were constantly talking about hats. Hats this, hats that. Hat Hattress 2. TF2 is a mp game from valve for absolute casuals. I really want to see how their dota turns out....

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
skyway said:
Yeah with the majority having less than 50 people playing them. And the ones that are a bit more popular than that are extremely dumbed down and primitive, forced into 50m x 50m areas so they are more like shooting ranges (see CoD) because there is no other way they would survive there.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 is the opposite of what you're describing and I believe it's doing pretty well on the consoles.

skyway said:
What does Valve have to do with it? An engine?

They kinda did it, you know.

skyway said:
Who cares about that in a genre where the good part comes from pressing a button and see shit blow up?

You're telling me that graphics and eye-candy are unimportant factors in FPS games?

skyway said:
Worst parts of it you mean? The point is in HL2 that was a small part, in Episode 2 it's there all the time. If they removed all "protect Alyx" moments you would've completed the addon in under 2 hours.

There are no "defend Alyx" parts in Episodes as far as I remember. And she's got nearly infinite health, so even in standard firefigts it's really hard to let her die.

Rhalle said:
Episode 1 featured the first engine compromises for consoles. The world geometry was simpler to accomodate them.

Any proof (quotation, screenshots) would be most welcome. Otherwise I call bullshit, kind sir.

attackfighter

Magister
barker_s said:
Using this opportunity I'll ask you a question. Why does The Codex seem to hate Valve so much? They're focused on the PC, they make pretty good games, they update their damn games with new maps/weapons/campaigns for free (how many developers do that, huh?).

In before: "this is Codex, we hate everything mainstream".

Because Valve is in competition with Blizzard and no one here could ever stand the thought of Blizz not being #1. This is the part where they run off to buy $20 mounts and 3 full price, pre-planned expansion packs and then come back to bitch about hats and shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom