Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unused, rarely seen or never-used RPG settings

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Excommunicator said:
Don't worry about it hey Raghar. If people know about it then you shouldn't get any trouble. Maybe put a quick comment about it in your signature to avoid future misunderstandings.
I'd rather not. It would remind me about the problem, and cause yet another step into a hard to read mess.

mydnight

Educated
How about everyone living in a dream world, trying to break into the 'real' world. Instead of lucid dreaming, you have lucid living. oh wait, did I just describe the matrix world.....

I guess variations of the planescape universe would be pretty refreshing...

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Prison Planet

I read a book recently where part of the story, had a man and wife spy team, sent to a planet for political trouble makers and those who have done crimes that were unforgivable, but not bad enough to get them executed.

The garrison could not be entered. Its only purpose was to keep spaceships away from the planet.

The town of 20,000 people, where the convicts ruled themselves and were expected to feed and cloth themselves or starve.

It had hunter gatherer tribes numbering about 200,000 people that wandered the planet, who were the offspring of the convicts. Convicts had been sent to the planet for 100s of years. The tribal culture was entirely separate, as the life they lived was too harsh for the convicts to endure.

A hidden base for space pirates was smuggling useful exiles off world.

What was most interesting about this world, was the culture of the town.

Morals and laws were turned upside down, because everyone including the mayor, were criminals or psychopaths.

It was a daily struggle to survive, both in terms of the harsh conditions and in keeping up with interest rates of 20% per day on all loans.

The factions and personalities that were striving for control of the town were very interesting.

The town had the kind of technology that colonists in the new world might have had hundreds of years ago. The hunter gatherers had stone age technology and the pirate base and garrison had sci-fi level tech. Of course the local wildlife were vigorous in their pursuit of prey and the weather was very severe.

As I read it I thought that while the book was mediocre, this small part of it would make a great adventure in an RPG.

laclongquan

Arcane
The problem with super hero games are twofold:

First: To use existing heroes or not. To use them is to open a whole can of worms on canon, limited what your characters can be. But to not use them is to not exploit the existing fanbase, somthing that no producers can resist. Freedom Force games anyone?

Second: To prop up a whole new slew of heroes require some refreshing perspective. When they make heroes they consult pros from US comic scenes, or heavily influenced by them. Boyos, I hate to burst your bubble but US hero comic are borrrrring. Pose cool, spouting oneliner, and shallower than a teenage girl in shopping.

Felix

Arcane
laclongquan said:
Boyos, I hate to burst your bubble but US hero comic are borrrrring. Pose cool, spouting oneliner, and shallower than a teenage girl in shopping.

No, what the fuck did you read, bro? Some shit tier Marvel comics?

On topic, real historical setting of any kind, real medieval setting....But I want to see XVIII century Japan. :M

hiver

DraQ said:
2WhelanMichaelTheIntegralTrees-vi.jpg

:M

Also, possibly hard SciFi (of any tech level, from "we have interplanetary travel" to "custom tailored pocket universes").

Also, any fantasy that isn't simply :insert_set_of_past_cultures: themepark.
This.

I would go with China Mieville Scar as a setting for the game, thank you very much.

DraQ

Arcane
hiver said:
DraQ said:
2WhelanMichaelTheIntegralTrees-vi.jpg

:M

Also, possibly hard SciFi (of any tech level, from "we have interplanetary travel" to "custom tailored pocket universes").

Also, any fantasy that isn't simply :insert_set_of_past_cultures: themepark.
This.

I would go with China Mieville Scar as a setting for the game, thank you very much.
Mieville is p. cool and Scar is either the best or second best Bas-Lag novel of his.
Still, he does suck ass when it comes to creating races.

grotsnik

Arcane
DraQ said:

You're referring to the cactus-people, I assume? I could never take them seriously.

A Mieville RPG would (could) be great, though - his cities are well-thought out enough and full of variety and detail to feel like a Sigil-level game-world.

laclongquan

Arcane
Felix said:
laclongquan said:
Boyos, I hate to burst your bubble but US hero comic are borrrrring. Pose cool, spouting oneliner, and shallower than a teenage girl in shopping.

No, what the fuck did you read, bro? Some shit tier Marvel comics?

On topic, real historical setting of any kind, real medieval setting....But I want to see XVIII century Japan. :M

No ur mom

And precisely what comic of US you can present to refute my claim, pray tell?

DraQ

Arcane
grotsnik said:
DraQ said:

You're referring to the cactus-people, I assume?
To cactus-people WITH BEWBS!!!!1
:x

A lot of his races are plain fucking retarded, and, to add insult to injury, could be easily replaced with equivalent non-retarded races keeping the same theme.

Yeah, the world was pretty awesome.

Jack Swift

Novice
The Zone!
stalker.png

1. Get wasted on vodka
2. Sneak in
3. Scavenge valuable artifacts and loot corpses
3b. Shoot anything that moves
4. Sneak out
5. Profit!
6. Enjoy your brain tumor :retarded:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom