Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking Turn-based jRPGs are not turn-based

obediah

Erudite
Fat Dragon said:
And Shin Megami Tensei 3 Nocturne is probably the best JRPG. Extremely challenging and tactical tb combat

I really enjoyed Nocturne, and agree on the challenging part. But the challenge was in building a good party for each area. The combat itself was pretty standard jrpg combat with the difficulty turned up.

Clockwork Knight said:
r00fles, you need a strategy guide for a jrpg?

I can't imagine how worthless someone's time would have to be to play through Nocturne without a guide.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
What the hell are you using as a comparison? I can't recall any western games with deep challenging combat. Fallout is walking backwards while firing a bigger gun. DnD games involve either spamming buffs or fireballing blindly based on your cheating foreknowledge of enemies it'll be needed for (That and plenty of reloading for when anyone crits your mage or someone fails a saving throw). KotoR's combat was :picard: worthy. How the hell do games like that qualify as more difficult or complicated? Is there some secret cache of western rpgs with nice combat I've been missing out on? About the only set of games I haven't played through that might qualify is wizardry (Can't get them to run properly for some reason.) I haven't played through Arcanum either but I've never heard it praised for it's combat. Standard jrpg fare generally at least involves some buffs/debuffs (Debuffs that aren't save or die) and elemental weaknesses/immunities. It generally only sucks because the game is set up for you to be overlevelled by default if you explore every corner of every dungeon you go through. If you skips parts or run away from battles the fights get pretty interesting in most of them.

Emotional Vampire said:
Not "a jrpg", I was referring specifically to SMT. I know it's hard for you to understand written word since you've been on headset all your short life but do try to keep up.

SMT is a jrpg, so it...wait, are you even trying?

obediah said:
I can't imagine how worthless someone's time would have to be to play through Nocturne without a guide.

what's so fucking hard about it?

deuxhero

Arcane
Emotional Vampire said:
"Extremely challenging and tactical combat" in SMT games pretty much means "Play with a strategy guide or grind forever".

Then again, Codex loves to grind forever, as long as it's offline.

No, grinding in Mega Ten rarely gets you anything because XP gains are scaled (higher level=less xp) and demons gain levels better via sacrifice or s-link.

The bosses that need a specific strategy like Matador are not that hard to figure out after a battle or two. The first half of the battle has him attack with only force attacks, so you need your team to null/repel/absorb force (duh). The second half has him maximize his agility and physically attack, you need to either nullify that spell or counteract it with accuracy buffs or agility debuffs (also fairly easy to figure out).

Clockwork Knight said:
Emotional Vampire said:
Not "a jrpg", I was referring specifically to SMT. I know it's hard for you to understand written word since you've been on headset all your short life but do try to keep up.

SMT is a jrpg, so it...wait, are you even trying?

Holy fuck, did you just broke Codex stupidity limit. I won't even bother with squares and rectangles here, just fucking punch yourself in the face you miserable cunt.

1eyedking

Erudite
Clockwork Knight said:
Oh no, the guy that needs a strategy guide for a jrpg thinks I'm stupid

what do I do :(
Hm.

You could kiill yourself and donate your organs to Iron Tower Studios so the bastards can sell them and finance their <s>shitty</s> <s>vomitive</s> <s>excellent</s> <s>no wait</s> rather dubious quality games.

Or at least hire a proper HUD artist. Oscar's turtlenecks are probably not letting enough oxygen through into his head, given he thinks it looks good enough and all.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Some JRPGs are "true" turn-based. Doesn't make them better, doesn't make them worse. FF X = true turn-based. Shit game.

SMT is more of a dungeon crawler, like Dark Spire... and guess what, they're turn/phase-based.

What more is there to say?

deuxhero

Arcane
More?...
"Press Turn" and "One More" are both decent twists to the concept of the turnbased battles and are not exactly gimmicks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom