Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trenchmouth - a Point and Click Adventure - to be or not to be?

Should I Kickstarter fund Trenchmouth?

• Total voters

Michael Faragher

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Main thing is for the devs/artists to maintain complete control over any content that is produced. If backer content doesn't fit the setting it needs to be either rejected or modified to a state that it does.

A lot of the backer fanfic shit that ended up in Pillars should have been rejected outright.

Everything will be trolled. Have a sprawling 40+ hour RPG which is mostly serious? Darven. Have a chance to memorialize the fallen? Limericks. Manning a customs booth? Here comes Ur-Quan! (Although, seriously, if they gave me the option to ask Kor-Ah or Kzer-Za, I'd have laughed so hard)

As you say, the developer has to be clear (this is the scope, this is the tone, we'll work with you but if you're unreasonable, you're out) but sometimes it's not so clear during development. Fallout 2 is a famous case of this. Fallout 1 had jokes. Neat, we loved it. Fallout 2 had everyone throw in jokes. Suddenly it's not the joke that's the problem, it's the frequency. And the tone; QFG4 had gravestone limericks, and they're great, but as a reward tier, there's some . . . tonal dissonance reading two grave markers next to each other and one being a witty limerick and the other a heartfelt farewell to their real world dead child. The funny names in Papers Please? I'm sad they're gone. There's no real problem since the entire game is absurdist.

Wild Wasteland was a good solution, but it's not for every game. Alien Isolation would not have been improved with party clowns every six minutes. (just once would be hilarious). The more the game relies on atmosphere and tone, the more jarring this stuff is. It's certainly up to the developers to establish and enforce limits for their crowdsourced content. It's why I'm against it, personally and professionally. If I'm going to spend years of my life writing and designing this game, I am not putting in your nonsense self-insert for any reasonable sum. The game is what the game is, if you don't want the game, there are others. If you want to change my game, pound sand. Or three million USD. For three million, I retire into the sunset and you can have the game. Pay off Vic seperately. ;)

Victor Pflug

Wormwood Studios
Developer
So how is this a sequel to Primordia given the ww1 aesthetic and stuff.. I feel I need to replay Primordia because clearly I missed something

It's a spiritual sequel if anything - I don't think I mentioned it being in any way a straight-up sequel...? It could exist in the same world - or it almost does in my head at least. I use the same kind of ideas in building each so yeah.

I'll tell you one thing though - if you went into Strangeland looking for the same kind of experience you got from Primordia and were dissappointed in that regard - I think that'll be a lot less so For Trenchmouth.

Dualnames

Wormwood Studios
Developer
No, that was mine, agris, albeit, that had nothing to do with wormwood but the name, so let it go into oblivion :P

agris

Arcane
Patron
No, that was mine, agris, albeit, that had nothing to do with wormwood but the name, so let it go into oblivion :P
No no, you misunderstand - I actually liked it! One of the few platformers I’ve actually beaten, and I grew up in the 16-bit golden age. When I heard it was made with AGS, I was really impressed… it also explained a few things :lol:

Michael Faragher

Wormwood Studios
Developer
No no, you misunderstand - I actually liked it! One of the few platformers I’ve actually beaten, and I grew up in the 16-bit golden age. When I heard it was made with AGS, I was really impressed… it also explained a few things :lol:

I'm impressed. I loved the game but never managed to beat it.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Michael Faragher it helps to have a neurotic personality wherein an inability to immediately overcome obstacles is, of course, internalized as great personal failure. The resulting self-loathing is then harnessed and focused, like a diamond anvil, until pure neurosis results in victory and a Stockholm syndrome-like haze colors your reflection upon the experience.

what are we talking about again??

lightbane

Arcane
I watched UIHY in a video LP as I'm no longer twitchy enough to play these kind of games. It was interesting the direction it takes. I'm not sure what was the final boss supposed to be though. Your own self? Another cyborg? The thing seemed "too clean" so to speak, even though the MC by then has gone completely crazy.

Victor Pflug

Wormwood Studios
Developer
So I'll just put the same spiel I put on Twitter;

Wormwood Studios is looking for creative and like-minded individuals interesting in joining our team, particularly anyone with programming experience/interest in the P&C and RPG genres.

Untitled-1.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom