Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trash reviews Close Combat - Last Stand Arnhem

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Still, in Firefight, when your units start shooting at enemy units, enemy units do what the player does in CC - shoot back at sources of fire which will often suppress them. In CC the enemy has to wait until it spots the units themselves - in CC the player can get several units to shoot at sources of fire, including tanks and mortars.

But isn't that one of the essential ideas in CC, that units give each other fire support? One unit fires at a building, while the the other storms it? I used that all the time.

I also remember that the CC2 tutorial spent a great deal explaining such tactics, i.e. how you can storm a position with the help of suppression fire and smoke.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I think he means that the AI only fires at units it can see instead on firing on places where it suspects units or where muzzle flashes are. That always was the case but with the recent patches it's not that apparant anymore. Got the sneaking suspicion that the AI now 'sees' better or something.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Luigi said:
Considering the hate Total War gets for being the same shitty game that it is, this review can be rightfully declared as cocksucking.

Mario called. Said you've been off your pills for too long.

Luigi

Barely Literate
Jools said:
Luigi said:
Considering the hate Total War gets for being the same shitty game that it is, this review can be rightfully declared as cocksucking.

Mario called. Said you've been off your pills for too long.

Sis, I like your avatar and all that but you gotta throw some substance my way instead of a hurr durrr derp to make me move. Aye, newfag?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Burning Bridges said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Still, in Firefight, when your units start shooting at enemy units, enemy units do what the player does in CC - shoot back at sources of fire which will often suppress them. In CC the enemy has to wait until it spots the units themselves - in CC the player can get several units to shoot at sources of fire, including tanks and mortars.

But isn't that one of the essential ideas in CC, that units give each other fire support? One unit fires at a building, while the the other storms it? I used that all the time.

I also remember that the CC2 tutorial spent a great deal explaining such tactics, i.e. how you can storm a position with the help of suppression fire and smoke.
Yes, they made an AI that can't even use the most basic tactics that were considered so necessary that they taught them in game tutorials.

Phelot

Arcane
I really like the CC series, but I gotta admit that the AI is VERY lacking just about all the time... including this latest version which I've gotten. I don't know, it just always seems like the AI attacks aimlessly in the main tactical maps just as they've always done... at least when they're actually attacking. It seems like AI tanks just spin around or congregate in weird locations. I'm not following why it's been so difficult to improve the AI in this series considering how many they've made. I really like the basic functions of the game, the system, the graphics and sounds, but I'm often times frustrated by a lack of challenge.

I agree that CC2 was a lot more fun just because of the challenges that it presented, but even then it was mostly cheap challenges. You simply couldn't afford better equipment so it was hard, not because the AI is cunning.

Phelot

Arcane
Trash said:
What latest version is that?

:oops: I see I got my games mixed up. I was thinking of The Longest Day (which I believe came out before LSA) which, playing as the Germans is a rather boring time since the beach landings never seem to work for the AI.

I realize I do have LSA but didn't play very far into it so I'm getting back into it now. Right now, I'm playing as the Germans and I have to fight with maybe 5 units at night... on attack. And what's worse is that the AI seems to see me perfectly in the night which seems strange.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Updated it to the latest beta patch as well? That one seems to have fiddled around with the view range to make it harder to beat the AI. Troops that move around are easily spotted but if they stay put they are very hard to spot. Even when they fire and yes, this also goes for AT cannons. Slow and methodical is the way to go. Use smoke if under heavy fire and get out and supress, supress, supress.

Phelot

Arcane
Trash said:
Updated it to the latest beta patch as well? That one seems to have fiddled around with the view range to make it harder to beat the AI. Troops that move around are easily spotted but if they stay put they are very hard to spot. Even when they fire and yes, this also goes for AT cannons. Slow and methodical is the way to go. Use smoke if under heavy fire and get out and supress, supress, supress.

I was referring more to these night missions where you have to play with a few units of shitty German ad hoc units versus paratroopers. Very tedious trudging through all these.

I had one in which some units of mine where running through a forest at night and yet somehow getting shot at and takings hits... Doesn't compute.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom