Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Translating a Russian mod

Severian Silk

I have begun translating the Heritage of the Empire mod for Star Wolves using a combination of machine translation and proof reading.

Here's an example:

The original:
#M_Name_THC4 = "Эспадон"
#M_Hint_THC4 = Турель "Эспадон"
#M_SDesc_THC4 = Турель с двумя тяжелыми орудиями.
#M_LDesc_THC4 = Это спаренное кинетическое орудие для обороны больших кораблей было разработано корпорацией USS на основе орудия М-115 "Ятаган". Оснащенные симметричными противооткатными устройствами и новейшими стабилизаторами огня турели позволили увеличить калибр орудия, значительно повысив наносимый ими урон. Огонь ведется подкалиберными снарядами с урановым или керамическим сердечником. В свободной продаже отсутствует.

The translated version:
#M_Name_THC4 = "Estabon" turret
#M_Hint_THC4 = "Estabon" turret
#M_SDesc_THC4 = Capital ship turret with two heavy kinetic guns.
#M_LDesc_THC4 = This coaxial kinetic gun was developed by the USS corporation for the defense of large ships. It is based of the F-115 "Yataghan", and features a recoilless design with symmetrical fins and the very latest firing mechanism. This allows for an increase in the caliber of the turret's guns, significantly increasing the damage they deal. The rounds are subcaliber with uranium shells or a ceramic core. This weapon is not available on the open market.

The original:
#M_Name_TVC3 = "Авенджер"
#M_Hint_TVC3 = Турель "Авенджер"
#M_SDesc_TVC3 = Турель со скорострельной пушкой третьего поколения.
#M_LDesc_TVC3 = Появление М-201 "Гатлинг" в открытой продаже вынудило патруль обратиться к подрядчикам с просьбой предоставить им более мощное и совершенное оружие. Новая пушка за счет увеличения скорости вращения стволов и применения боеприпасов с вольфрамовым сердечником вывела скорострельные орудия на новый уровень. Теперь это была уже настоящая машина смерти, буквально перемалывающая все на своем пути. К сожалению из-за возросшей в несколько раз цены пушка покупалась патрулем очень неохотно, и ее пришлось выпустить в открытую продажу, компенсируя затраты на разработку.

The translated version:
#M_Name_TVC3 = "Avenger" turret
#M_Hint_TVC3 = "Avenger" turret
#M_SDesc_TVC3 = Third generation rapid-fire turret.
#M_LDesc_TVC3 = Since the emergence of the M-201 "Gattling" on the open market, patrols have been forced to ask contractors to provide them with more powerful and sophisticated weaponry. By increasing the rotation speed of the gun's barrels, and by using munitions with tungsten cores, these new rapid-fire guns have been brought to a new level. They are true engines of death, literally grinding everything in their path down to a pulp. Unfortunately, due to the increase in price, patrols have only purchased them very reluctantly, resulting in the guns being released publically in order to offset development costs.

If any Russian speakers would be willing to proof-read my changes once I'm done I'd appreciate it.

Severian Silk

Hamster said:
Assnuggets said:
"Estabon" turret
Original says "Espadon" turret

Yes, I figured that out later. Espadon is a type of Spanish two-handed sword.

Hamster said:
the very latest firing mechanism
It literaly says "stabilisation of fire mechanism"
Thanks! I had a lot of trouble with this part.

BTW, here is the thread on the subject at the mod's developers' forum. Participate if you wish; but, the thread has turned rather hostile...

Severian Silk

Unfortunately, they couldn't speak English. Oh well, better luck next time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom