Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Touhou Artificial Dream in Arcadia -- Megami Tensei / Etrian Odyssey inspired

grimace

Arcane

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Looks interesting. Anyone played it?
It's great. Basically SMT 1 but with more modern features. MUCH more satisfying than SMT 5 simply because it has old-school dungeons. Losing your main character is managed beautifully in this game. They changed the demon negotiation for a shooting minigame, and it might need some time to get used to because attempting to capture 2hus already in your party didn't end the battle immediately like in SMT games, but you will have options to tune the capturing system later in the game. It's best to think of the capture system as something different from the SMT demon negotiation. Also, while I mostly forgot about Gensokyo (I was into it around 2009-2011), I think this game adapts the tone of the canon stories faithfully and got me interested in the lore again. As an extra note I thought the player character was some OC donut steel the devs made up but it turns out she's from a later game :lol: .

Jacob

Patron
Anyway the combat system is very basic, so elemental affinity might seem negligible compared to how it worked in the SMT games that use press-turn system, but you can get an option to adjust the combat system so that weaknesses deal more damage and standard attacks deal less. This is a reward for one of the earlier sidequest and personally I use it all the time after getting that option. The game allows you to change some of the mechanics, and the options are obtained as an item that you can usually get as a sidequest reward.

d1r what did you disagree with my opinion?

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Not disagreeing, just eyerolling because of the usual "no dungeon, therefore bad game" SMT5 bashing.

Jacob

Patron
Not disagreeing, just eyerolling because of the usual "no dungeon, therefore bad game" SMT5 bashing.
Actually... I agree. It is SMT5's lowest hanging fruit after all, especially on the Codex. Should've simply said I enjoyed my time with this game more than I did with SMT5, which I actually did because of more reasons than simply "no dungeons, bad".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom