Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ToEE: Looting problem

Monte Carlo

Liturgist
I have bad ju-ju with this game. Something always goes wrong when I decide to give it another chance to redeem itself.

I've done a clean install and patched it with the latest official version.

The game is actually running better than the last time I installed it, less jerky (despite my above-optimal system sepcifications) etc. BUT I CAN'T FUCKING LOOT ENEMY BODIES.

I hover the cursor over the corpse, it glows blue. I click on the corpse and.....nothing.

ARGH!

Is this easy to resolve, or is this game joining various others in my increasingly large drinks coaster collection?

Any help gratefully recieved.

Cheers
MC

Monte Carlo

Liturgist
OK, I'm a lazy fuck and I didn't read the DirectX 'c' incompatability issue in the other thread. You know what? This game is pissing me off so much, rather than start dicking around with my DX for the sake of running it (because, of course, every other game installed on this machine works just fine) I think I'll just fucking wait a few years for the next fucking patch and see if they could be bothered to fix it.

Troika. Sheesh.

Cheers
MC

Whipporowill

Erudite
Eh, it's a directX 9c (which came out what max 2 months ago) issue. ToEE was built on... what... a 9a dev kit? Kinda hard to blame Troika for that one, isn't it? Like blaming Doom3 for suddenly crasching when you download new graphics drivers about a year later?

SHEESH.

Spazmo

Erudite
Well, yeah, but if every other game out there works fine, then it means that somewhere in the code, ToEE was relying on some sort of hole in DX9a or b. Keep your code clean, kids, and you won't die horribly later on.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Well, considering 9.0c was just released I wouldn't say we know much how it affects older games - as ToEE actually is one (being about a year old), but sure it's possible Troika used a loophole, but it sure sounds like an unlikely bug cropping up all of a sudden.

Monte Carlo

Liturgist
Not being able to loot in ToEE is a game-breaking bug.

Every other game I own, bar none, works fine with DX9c.

Discuss.

It's not like ToEE doesn't have previous for this sort of thing, is it?

DX is a fairly consistent platform. The ability not to roll-back updates without system restores sucks donkey balls, but I'm still not convinced that this isn't a result of Troika slapdash development.

FrankHorrigan

Liturgist
As i posted in the other thread, you can remove any version of directx with this little free utility www.freewebz.com/firecat . Of course TOEE has previous, but its more to do with Atari's unrealistic idea's about dev cycles, Troika who got the game out in an incredible time frame where responsible for getting the 2nd patch out, as Atari has no interest in supporting the game. Also its not unique in that a modern game will not work when a new version of directx comes out. Star Fleet Command 3 would not work with directx 9b when ms released it.

Monte Carlo

Liturgist
News - 05/27/04:
The all-new and completely rewritten DirectX Eradicator 1.1 will be available next week. I am aware of the rogue version of DirectX 9.0c making its rounds and have received several requests for a "fix" ... Please be patient, you'll get one soon enough! ~ Firecat

Hmmmm.

Mebbe not.

Psilon

Erudite
I'm curious why DirectX versions don't bother to use minor version numbers.
9.0, 9.0a, 9.0b, 9.0c... Just call it 9.3 and be done with it!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom