Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ToEE: Custom Portraits

Gahbreeil

Learned
Sorcerer's Place helped me with BG2 portraits premade, "32 Baldur's Gate Series Custom Portraits by Greenlion420 (Submitted)". However, the guide with which to implement the portraits, "Importing Custom Player Portraits into Temple of Elemental Evil", even when followed to the point, makes the game crash upon activating the inventory when using five of the aforementioned portraits. Can anyone help? It works just fine in character creation and in the game. I do not want to mod the game with neither Co8 or Temple+. Help!

I narrowed it down, something is wrong with either one or all of the BIG .tga's. MINI and SMALL normal work fine as being in the game and right clicking proves although the GREY MINI and SMALL ones crash the game upon loading as well.

a. The Big portrait:
This is the larger portrait art displayed in the character inventory. It is 130w x 150h. It has an alpha channel which is completely white.

b. The Mini portrait:
This is the portrait displayed in the "mini" initiative bar. It is 42w x 37h. It has an alpha channel that is completely white except it has a one pixel border of black. View the temp art in Photoshop for a clearer understanding. The pixel border of alpha is to eleviate anit-aliasing of the edge of the portait art.

c. The Small portrait:
This is the portrait displayed in the character's window at the bottom and also in the regular initiative bar. It is 53w x 47h. It also has a one pixel border of alpha just like the mini portraits

d. The Small Grey portrait:
This is exactly the same as the Small portrait except the art is completely black and white. This is displayed when a PC dies.

e. The Mini Grey portrait:
This is exactly the same as the Mini portrait except the art is completely black and white. This is displayed when a PC dies.

And as according to the quote above, the channels in the BIG and GREY portraits are screwed up, at least, that's my best guess.
I downloaded GIMP and tried to fix all images as per quote. Now the save won't load. :negative: I put the black borders into the alpha channels of all the MINI and SMALL portraits, I saved all in 32bit integer and nothing!

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/80fatrkb060su/interface

If it helps, you can look over the .mes and the portraits on your own.

Download the first Baldur's Gate portrait pack, not the second. Sift the images and fix the .mes file and you're good to go. You will need to replace some of the vanilla portraits if you want to go over 5 custom portraits.

With Notepad++ it is very easy to edit the aforementioned portraits.mes.

And now, the thread can be closed. I hope it helped everyone who doesn't want to mod ToEE and simply wants more portraits to have a "cool" team. As for making the portraits on your own... Well, it is nigh on impossible because everything was as it should be and I still couldn't save the game from crashing.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom