Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Todd Howard Breaks Down His Video Game Career | WIRED

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The coding at bethesda has traditionally been very sloppy and the worst in the industry

Skyrim has unfixable z-fighting and on launch couldnt even use multiple CPU cores. Modders fixed some of these issues. After they fixed them, Bethesda integrated them into the Skyrim rerelease. Like I said, clever but scumbagy

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
It's pure laziness and cynicism. They think they can release any trash and modders will always swoop in to make it a playable and fun experience.

Yeah absolutely. And it has been like that since Morrowind (I mean they realised they could do this after Morrowind)

Just Locus

Educated
Skyrim Special Edition at least made Skyrim a 64bit executable which required BGS to recompile the entirety of Creation Engine's native code functions, it wasn't something they could just fix in a patch, however, it for the most part alongside AE is some of the laziest, bare-bones content there ever is.

Tons of CC content added which makes it so you can get Ebony Daedric, and Divine Crusader armor at level 1, You start the game with a thousand or so quests entering your journal so you just get overwhelmed until you do them and realize almost all of them break the progression by giving you something of immense power.

Mobs and other attacking creatures consistently harass you making exploration a chore in some extremely lore-breaking ways like Ash Zombies, none of which drop anything useful so it's just a complete time waster and at best, a way to farm your skills. - Now BGS recently broke Skyrim again by adding more CC content that is not only extremely lazy as well (One of them was a literal fucking gun). but priced to an absurdly high degree that I'd rather get caught playing Anthem than wasting money on mods that have superior alternatives sitting on the Nexus, I don't understand why modders ever signed up for Creation Club, there is a way of supporting modders, it's called Patreon, Ko-Fi, or any other donation-based platform, If I truly appreciated a mod author's effort in creating a particular mod, the last thing I'd want is for a cut of it to go Bethesda, instead of the person who actually put in the effort.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
For me he is a scumbag

Intentionally releasing unfinished games (so budget can go into marketing campaign and hollywood voice actors - that makes sales)

Fans will fix the games for free anyway with the toolset. And after a few years he can reap game rewards he didn't deserve

Clever man but a scumbag nonetheless

He also butchered the art aspects in games. Never forget he was against weird stuff in Morrowind
It would be a drop in the bucket for them to just fix their games. "Oh hey, we're releasing Skyrim for the 69th time. Let's get a couple programmers to go through the unofficial patch changelog and add some of these things into the official product." It's pure laziness and cynicism. They think they can release any trash and modders will always swoop in to make it a playable and fun experience.
Don't GOG reach out to fan-patch creators and ask them permission to include it in their releases? Bethesda wouldn't need to do anything but send an e-mail and ask for a permission to officially include it.
The coding at bethesda has traditionally been very sloppy and the worst in the industry

Skyrim has unfixable z-fighting and on launch couldnt even use multiple CPU cores. Modders fixed some of these issues. After they fixed them, Bethesda integrated them into the Skyrim rerelease. Like I said, clever but scumbagy
Did they use the same code or did they redo the fixes themselves? That's still better than 343 who would take fans showing them multiplayer problems, e-mail them a video of it happening and exactly how to fix it and then 343 would throw away the bug reports and mock them on live streams. Bugs not present in the original Bungie releases and game balance changing.
I don't understand why modders ever signed up for Creation Club, there is a way of supporting modders, it's called Patreon, Ko-Fi, or any other donation-based platform
It makes them money on consoles too doesn't it? Most donation platforms have a history of deplatforming people. I wouldn't want to rely on Patreon.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The coding at Bethesda has traditionally been very sloppy and the worst in the industry.

Skyrim features unfixable z-fighting and on launch day couldn't even use multiple CPU cores or threads. Modders fixed some of these issues. After they fixed them, Bethesda integrated them into the Skyrim rerelease. Like I said, clever but scumbagy.

Did they use the same code or did they redo the fixes themselves?

I think it was the same code

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom