Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Timelie - sequence rewinding puzzle game

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I haven't found a thread for Timelie, which I've received from BosanskiSeljak and have plenty of fun with. The game is good enough to warrant more attention IMO.

It's a Thai-made TPP puzzle game in which you control initially one, then two characters, arranging a sequence of moves around a grid-based map in order to unlock the door and escape robot guards, able to one-hit kill you. It's a stealth game in the sense that most challenges rely on avoiding (or misdirecting) said robots, but there's no traditional stealth focus on waiting for the right move - instead, you arrange your moves around their pathing, utilizing the game's biggest gimmick - rewinding time, kinda like watching a video.

The crux of gameplay is to pull off the weirdest, most bullshit way through the level, and not get caught. The pace is rather relaxed, given that you'll be constantly rewinding the map to fine-tune your sequence, plus there are trophies for extra challenges (such as - don't use your special abilities, don't kill any robots in later stages, or optimize your sequence time-wise). There are four chapters and an epilogue, the game's around 6h long. There is a free DLC adding the most difficult levels in the game, demanding big brain moments at every step.

Presentation-wise, it's very subtle and subdued, with no spoken dialogue at all, most everything in the environment being functional first and foremost, and with buttery smooth, effortless menus. I wish chapter select was a bit more abstract, but it fits the game well. While the style may look slightly anime at first glance, it's really anything but in the game proper.

I strongly recommend the game. It's good. The studio's currently working on a semi-sequel - same world, slightly different mechanics.

blurb:
Steam_About-01.png

Steam_About-02.png

Every second matters in Timelie, a stealth puzzle adventure, where you control time like a media player. Perceive future events to plan your escape strategy from the past, sneak an enemy, and manipulate time through this companionship journey of a mysterious cat and a little girl with a precognitive power.

movie2020-12-1620h17m004_14.gif

movie2020-12-1620h17m004_9.gif

movie2020-12-1620h17m004_6.gif

Topic_Foresee_EN.png

The Timeline ability gives players the power to control time just like a media player. Drag the Timeline left to rewind time and undo your past mistakes. Drag it right to watch your future unfold and gain you valuable information to change your past.

foresee-and-rewind.gif

Topic_Coop_EN.png

Control both the girl and the cat simultaneously, timing their movements and actions to complement each other, escape detection, distract enemies, and ultimately escape the world they’re trapped in. Experience cooperative play for a single player like never before.

cooperative.gif

Topic_World_EN.png

Lose yourself in a vibrant world filled with colorful abstractions and surreal visuals. Explore strange realms filled with danger…but also discovery.

world-beyond-time.gif

Squidhead

Educated
My first thoughts: Looks like a disposable Humble Bundle game.
(Turns out it was in the November 2021 bundle)

Neuromancer

Augur
This is not an adventure game, so why post it here?
how so
As you wrote yourself, that game is a tactical stealth action game with some puzzles, so nothing like an adventure, where the story, dialogue and story related puzzles are the core game mechanics.

If you would post this game here, with the same logic you could also post Half Life 2 here, since it has some physics puzzles.

So, wrong forum: Go to General Gaming.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
This is not an adventure game, so why post it here?
how so
As you wrote yourself, that game is a tactical stealth action game with some puzzles, so nothing like an adventure, where the story, dialogue and story related puzzles are the core game mechanics.

If you would post this game here, with the same logic you could also post Half Life 2 here, since it has some physics puzzles.

So, wrong forum: Go to General Gaming.
I wrote myself that it's a puzzle game, has nothing to do with tactics. Please don't try to misrepresent my post.

Neuromancer

Augur
You also wrote the other things I mentioned.
Furthermore, I also saw the description and videos on steam, which made it clear that it is something completely different.

The fact that there are some puzzles in it, doesn't make it an adventure game.
As I said, with the some logic you could also post Half Life 2.
Some people consider Tetris a puzzle game, so it must be also an adventure, right?
:prosper:

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
You also wrote the other things I mentioned.
Furthermore, I also saw the description and videos on steam, which made it clear that it is something completely different.

The fact that there are some puzzles in it, doesn't make it an adventure game.
As I said, with the some logic you could also post Half Life 2.
Some people consider Tetris a puzzle game, so it must be also an adventure, right?
:prosper:
You're raising an embarassing point, and it kind of disgusts me that you expect to be treated seriously. To beat puzzles in order to advance is the soul of adventure gaming. It applied to Colossal Cave, it applied to Monkey Island, it applied to Tex Murphy, it applied to Obra Dinn. All four are vastly different games with vastly different structures. Yes, I consider Timelie to be explicitly an adventure game, just like I do consider Stasis and Puzzle Agent to be adventure games. Tetris is not one, because you play it for the score, not to advance through the plotline. Timelie has one, expressed no less succinctly than in Samorost. You're narrow-minded, and your taste is probably boring.

Neuromancer

Augur
So, because you got no real point and couldn't disprove my logical reasoning, you resort to personal insults and baseles ad-hominem attacks.
THAT is really embarrassing!

You're not worth discussing with any longer.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
So, because you got no real point and couldn't disprove my logical reasoning, you resort to personal insults and baseles ad-hominem attacks.
THAT is really embarrassing!

You're not worth discussing with any longer.
Yet another post you skim through and fight against the strawman you yourself have construed. Lol, as they say.

Neuromancer

Augur
And again, no argument from your side, only stupid contentless blablaba.

Edit:
I already proved you wrong before, so no need to repeat myself. But since you insist.
The gist from your previous post:
Tetris is not one, because you play it for the score, not to advance through the plotline.

As I said twice already, the same applies to Half-Life 2.
Still not an adventure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom