Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tim Stone (ex Flare Path) has new column after SJWs cancel him

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://tallyhocorner.com/2022/06/thcs-top-50-combat-sims/

THC’s Top 50 Combat Sims​

• June 17, 2022
  • Sims

Put down those Billhooks, Stanley knives, and Jeremy hammers, readers! This is the 21st Century for Pete’s sake. There are better ways to settle “What’s the best [insert game genre here] ever made?” disagreements than mano a mano melees. Cornerite-sourced ‘Top 50’ articles for example.
50sims-5b.png

Remember how, last year, we proved, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that Combat Mission was the finest wargame series 3vAr? Well, I think it’s high time we established once-and-for-all which combat simulation out-brilliances all others.
50sims-5c.png

As the voting system seemed to work pretty well last time, I see no reason to alter it. To participate all you need to do is post a comment listing your five favourite combat sims in order of preference. This act will cast the fifteen votes that are at your disposal (Your top choice will get five votes, your second choice four votes, third choice three votes, and so on). It might take me a day or three to process your comment, but rest assured your ballot paper will eventually get counted.
50sims-2b.png

If you’d like to explain or illuminate your choices with a pithy sentence or two, that would be most helpful (screenshots submitted via tim at tallyhocorner dot com would be very welcome too). As there are sure to be numerous titles on the list that I’ve never played, I’d much prefer to use a quote from a true fan than rely on something desiccated, vague, or silly that I’ve cooked up myself.
50sims-1b.png

In order to keep the list to a manageable size…
  • My definition of combat sim is fairly pedantic (see below).
  • I’ve clustered games into series and families where possible. Please don’t cast separate votes for, say, Silent Hunter 3 and Silent Hunter 4. A single vote for ‘Silent Hunter’ will cover your deep affection for the series. Clarify your votes with footnotes, by all means.
  • I’d to re-emphasise that you should cast your votes for the five mil sims that have brought you the most pleasure over the years and not use them to limelight novel/interesting curios. I’m not out to fashion a list of every combat sim, just the cream of the crop.
If you don’t see a favourite in the table, that doesn’t mean you can’t vote for it. I’ve added 25 potential chart-toppers to get the ball-turret rolling, but expect the list to, at the very least, double in size in the weeks to come.
50sims-4b.png

To be eligible for tabulation a sim must…
  • Have combat at its core.
  • Be historical or reality-based (Sorry MechWarrior, Crimson Skies, Carrier Command etc).
  • Offer first-person views.
  • Fit more naturally in the ‘combat sim’ genre than any other.*
* As one man’s hi-fi military FPS is another man’s soldier sim, I’ve decided I won’t exclude a title just because it’s not vehicle-focused.
Games can be sorted alphabetically and by popularity. While the table seems to display fine on a standard PC monitor, you may have problems viewing it on a phone or tablet. Sorry about that.
50sims-3b.png

G

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://tallyhocorner.com/2022/10/sagger-review/

Sagger​

Despite exposure to Charles Games’ and iNK Stories’ fine creations I still recoil slightly when I see the word ‘edutainment’ in the blurb for a game. I recoil because I know – or think I know – what’s coming. 1. Lots of reading, listening, or watching, when I’d prefer to be scheming and doing. 2. Little recognition of the fact that I might not be completely ignorant of Subject X. 3. The nagging suspicion that I’d have been better off investing my limited funds in a respected book on Subject X than an untried game.
sagger06.jpg
Here I am, a week prior to the outbreak of war, talking to Golda about an unfolding hostage crisis in Austria. How you choose to deal with situations like the Schoenau ultimatum impacts a range of variables that disregarded can create serious problems for you further down the line.

sagger09.jpg

Reading hyperlinked reports as they come in consumes a fair portion of an average day. Dismissing these sitreps without perusing them, makes informed decision-making that bit harder. Clicking on a link usually either takes you to a page in the game’s sizeable integrated encyclopedia or to one of the divisional counters on the map.

sagger20.jpg

The Polish devs (the creative leads, Hannah Samira & Daniel Wencel, hail from the US and Israel) aren’t ‘mini game’ enthusiasts it seems. Besides the slightly silly general knowledge questions used to verify the trustworthiness of the various spies who periodically supply intel, there’s no attempt to abstract or stylise situations. ‘Analyse available info then choose a course of action’ is the straightforward Sagger way.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!

Hey wait a minute this sounds familiar...

Sandnigger
:philosoraptor:

lol sorry this was too good a chance to pass up the joke

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://tallyhocorner.com/2022/12/dusty-but-trusty-silent-storm/

Dusty But Trusty: Silent Storm​

To qualify for a Dusty But Trusty article, a game must be old enough to vote in Nicaragua, buy tobacco in Djibouti, and make the beast with two backs in Nepal. More importantly, it must be demonstrably super, smashing, great, ace, wizard, bonzer, the knees of the bee, the testicles of the dog, and the whiskers and pyjamas of the cat. You don’t need rose-tinted pince-nez or a cutting-edge pixel pump to enjoy 24 karat golden oldies like… Silent Storm.
If my fond memories of this nineteen-year-old Jagged Alliance-style TBT are trustworthy, it doesn’t matter which campaign mission or random encounter I pick as the basis for today’s feature. All Silent Storm outings produce enough tension, spectacle, and surprises to make memorable After Action Reports.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://tallyhocorner.com/2023/01/demo-disc-3/

Sky on Fire: 1940​

(download link)

sof55.jpg

A pay-what-you-like “student project” rather than a demo, Sky on Fire is as full of surprises as a YB-40 Flying Fortress. Shunning superfluous polygons and lavish textures, Parisian code wizard Vinh-san Bernaud has built a WW2 flight sim that, at times, stirs memories of The Greatest Combat Flight Sim Ever Made.

sof58.jpg

Although there’s no campaign yet and all the action takes place over a small corner of Kent, an impressive choice of flyables equipped with respectable* flight models and decent** AI, ensure the Unity-powered SoF is no fifteen-minute flash-in-the-pan. When the brief introductory recce I had scheduled, turned into a three-hour bandit savaging session, I knew I was in the presence of something special.

* Read on for a qualification.
** If slightly accident prone.

sof54.jpg

At regular intervals during my marathon first encounter, I happened upon features I hadn’t expected to find in a 130 MB flight sim. G-force-induced blackouts, airframe creaking, crewable gun positions, openable canopies, a bomb sight view, a quick mission builder, slo-mo, functional barrage balloons, a photo mode, on-the-fly cockpit switching (you can even switch to enemy crates mid dogfight)… the pleasant surprises kept coming.

sof63.jpg

Only when I took some time out from lead spewing and crater making to investigate stalls and spins, did I experience anything resembling disappointment. Right now aircraft that exceed their critical angle of attack nose down but never seem to gyrate.

sof68.jpg

For a game so framerate friendly, so short of graphical frills, SoF is also uncommonly photogenic. Looking through the 60+ screenshots I snapped yesterday, there are dozens that would make worthy accompaniments to this articlette. In fact, I’m not sure I can resist an impromptu photography exhibition at this point…

sof51.jpg

sof62.jpg

sof69.jpg

sof65.jpg

sof52.jpg

sof59.jpg

Already great fun, Sky on Fire with spins, sortie sequences, and new maps, would be quite the thing. Fingers crossed, Vinh-san has big plans for this timely reminder that sims don’t need to melt video cards and monopolise hard drives to mesmerise.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://tallyhocorner.com/2023/06/angola-86-interview/

Angola ’86 interview​

Most wargames are designed by people with no personal experience of the modelled conflict. Currently in the early stages of beta testing, Angola ’86 springbucks the trend.
THC: How long has Angola ’86, your South African Border War project, been in development, and how much of the work have you done yourself?
angola03.jpg

Johan Nagel of Every Single Soldier: The game has been on my radar forever. Actual development started eighteen months ago. Building it from scratch by myself* using Unity (During the past few years I have invested considerable time in learning to code, as it was frustrating trying to convey, and constantly change, the game direction to third parties.) has been a fascinating journey – one I actually don’t want to end.
* Only the artwork was outsourced.
THC: In terms of weaponry and capabilities, how different are the three player-controlled factions, SADF, SWATF, and UNITA?...

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://tallyhocorner.com/2023/06/alex-williamson-is-a-one-man-wargame-factory/

Alex Williamson is a one man wargame factory​

Over the past decade the proprietor of Asymgames.com has crafted around seventy computer wargames. All are free, equipped with competent AIs, and playable online, and many explore the kind of relatively obscure conflicts, ops, battles, and historical events that bigger devs often ignore. Assuming you can live with utilitarian graphics, and are willing to learn the ins and outs of Alex’s various self-built engines (there are eight families of games), his Aladdin’s archive is well worth a visit.

Videos like the one above, together with brief integrated tutorials and abundant tooltips, aid acclimatisation considerably.
asym02.jpg

I recommend starting with a Bobcat-engined hex-and-card title – Gazala for example – as these are, mechanically speaking, fairly conventional. Don’t expect fog of war, leaders, or subtle damage/morale/cohesion modelling, but supply and fortifications are influential, and the artificial Auchinleck puts up a good fight.

Chockablock with neatly abstracted sensors and weapon types, Vikrant vs. Shandong, the first of a naval battle series that may one day include a Russo-Ukrainian War instalment, is a more intimidating creature.
asym04.jpg

Used to simulate history like the anti-apartheid struggle, the Flint sit-down strike, and the Mexican Revolution, the card-reliant, resource-sprinkled ‘Rhino’ titles are Asymgames’ most abstract offerings. Boards are a made up of a network of linked boxes. AI opponents generally start on the edges of the board, and attempt to advance to your ‘capital’ box in the centre via judicious card plays.
asym03.jpg

If Alex’s creations came with zoomable boards and prettier art, I’m certain they’d be much better known. I wonder if he has ever been approached by Matrix/Slitherine’s talent spotters.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://tallyhocorner.com/2023/08/road-to-glory-is-great-gratis/

Road to Glory is great/gratis​

• AUGUST 30, 2023
  • SIMS
In Simulatia, ubiquitous WW2 vehicles like the Sd.Kfz. 250 and the M3 are always the bridesmaid, never the bride. Offerings like Road to Glory that insist you ride a halftrack into battle are almost unheard of.
roadtoglory03.jpg

The handiwork of a talented one-man-band called Some Random Designing, Road to Glory is a free, memorable, low-complexity Eastern Front artillery spotter sim which makes up for in atmosphere and action what it lacks in realism...

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://tallyhocorner.com/2024/04/32824/

I is for Inspired by an antediluvian RTS​

Talking of interesting projects from the land of Smetana, Staropramen, and Sparta Prague, Spytihněv, the developer of HROT, one of my favourite retro FPSs, is currently working on a homage to Paranoia, a (very) early Czech RTS. SHROT, a “bite-sized old-school action RTS set on a sandy planet with horses, tractors and techno music.”, is expected to arrive in June and has a feature list too good not to paste verbatim:

• 3 playable stellar clans, each with a different color
  • Procedurally generated battles that never play out the same way
  • Base building, hops mining, and large-scale battles lasting hours with hundreds of units and thousands of casualties
  • Techno soundtrack as the most suitable background
  • Voice acting by my mom...

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Holy shit! I played Paranoia like crazy as a kid, it was my very first RTS that got me into the genre - great to see this.

:greatjob:

Naraya

Arcane
https://tallyhocorner.com/2024/04/32824/

I is for Inspired by an antediluvian RTS​

Talking of interesting projects from the land of Smetana, Staropramen, and Sparta Prague, Spytihněv, the developer of HROT, one of my favourite retro FPSs, is currently working on a homage to Paranoia, a (very) early Czech RTS. SHROT, a “bite-sized old-school action RTS set on a sandy planet with horses, tractors and techno music.”, is expected to arrive in June and has a feature list too good not to paste verbatim:

• 3 playable stellar clans, each with a different color
  • Procedurally generated battles that never play out the same way
  • Base building, hops mining, and large-scale battles lasting hours with hundreds of units and thousands of casualties
  • Techno soundtrack as the most suitable background
  • Voice acting by my mom...

This gives me a lot of warm and fuzzy Dune 2 vibes!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom