Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Thoughts on the post-Squaresoft Sakaguchi/Uematsu games?

biffthestiff

Educated
I've always loved both CRPGs and JRPGs, and I was marked by that era in the late 90s/early 00s where so many amazing titles came out.

To me Squaresoft's games from the 90s (that run starting from FF6 to FF10, alongside Chrono Trigger/Cross), are my favorite entries in the genre. Probably 50% of that goodwill comes from Nobuo Uematsu's soundtracks.

I haven't bought a console since the PS2 so I've been out of the loop when it comes to JRPGs. I read major news, for example I knew these guys left Squaresoft cause there hasn't been a soulful FF game since FF10, but hadn't heard anything about them except that Uematsu was in some band just rearranging FF music.

To make a blog story short, I recently found out that Sakaguchi, the main director/producer during that golden era, was still making games for the past 15 years. He founded a small studio in 2004, brought Nobuo Uematsu along to do the soundtracks. They've made several games I never heard of:

* Blue Dragon 1, Xbox 360
* Blue Dragon 2 and 3, DS
* Lost Odyssey, Xbox 360
* The Last Story, Wii
* Terra Battle 1 and 2, mobile
* Terra Wars, mobile
* Fantasian, iOS and OSX

What did you guys think of these? Is it worth the effort to try to emulate them, or find pirate APKs (the Terra games can no longer be purchased)?

Bonus link, Fantasian OST banger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLEywIHOF7Y&t=843s

Falksi

Arcane
Blue Dragon 1 is really likeable, but boring as fuck. I've never had the stamina to see it through to completion. I wouldn't bother with it.

Lost Odyssey is arguably the most well balanced, and possibly best, JRPG of all time. The main character gets on my tits, but Jansen more than makes up for him. It's 100% worth getting.

Not played the others.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Played Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey and Last Story.

Personally loved all 3, Blue Dragon is the weakest, but otoh there are some fantastic moments in that game and mentioned charming as hell, making it a weird personal favourite of mine.

Also you better love this track if you decide to play it (I do):

Edit: (Also yes, this is the Deep Purple singer)

Edit2: And for the love of god you better not have OCD. Everything has hidden items. EVERYTHING.

Last edited:

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I liked Blue Dragon, but it got a bit boring closer to the end. But still a great game overall. And as with Lost Odyssey it looks great via BC on Xbox One X.

Lost Odyssey was fantastic and a played through it again recently. And with BC on Xbox One X the upscaling makes it look amazing.

Last Story I plan on playing through again in the future because I bought it when it came out and finished it. So it's been a while since I last played it. Luckily I can use my Wii U to do that.

All 3 of them are great games. But Lost Odyssey is the best of them all. In my opinion Lost Odyssey is the last good Final Fantasy game.

Terra

Cipher
Lost Odyssey is good when it gets going, which takes a while.
The Last Story is worth at least a playthrough, something about it kept me coming back.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I only played Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey. I liked both games. Blue dragon is like Final Fantasy V-2, in my opinion. Lost Odyssey might as well have been a numbered Final Fantasy.

biffthestiff

Educated
I'm glad some of these games are so appreciated. I'll have to look into the state of Xbox 360 emulation. Or I guess, buy a console one day...

Also you better love this track if you decide to play it (I do):

Edit: (Also yes, this is the Deep Purple singer)

Haha, I recognize this from Barkley: Shut Up And Jam Gaiden. Despite being a meme game the soundtrack is genuinely quality and in my all-time top list.

RapineDel

Augur
Lost Odyssey is a solid game and probably the best game exclusive to the 360, surprised Microsoft hasn't found a way to give it a modern port.

Blue Dragon is a total snooze, the worst part of the game is almost every little item can be interacted and when you do a "nothing" will flash on the screen. Collecting these "nothings" unlocks items meaning every area is a total chore to explore.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
The Last Story is pretty fun when it comes to game mechanics, distracting big enemies to let the rest of the party beat them up in relative safety and protecting your mage while he's busy casting spells was pretty fun, and some battles felt pretty fresh, like fighting against your doppelgangers/fighting invisible enemies that reflect in a big mirror. I found inspirations taken from Gears of War hilarious, as you can technically play it as a popamole cover-based shooter with crossbows and stuff, but the only practical use for the cover system is the ability to ambush enemies from time to time.

I just hope you have immunity to cringe, as the protag sounds whiney as fuck, and some characters talk like they're permanently stuck in their angsty teenage years. Because apart from that, it's a pretty good game -- and impressive how they managed to make it work on Wii, since some areas look on par with PS3/X360.

Also don't rush it and take time to explore the game mechanics, or else the final boss will fuck you up.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I played some of the Terra games on mobile after hearing they are unusually good for mobile games. They are not.
If you want a good mobile Final Fantasy play Final Fantasy Dimensions which is actually better than it has any right to be.
Wasn't so hot on checking out the other Mistwalker games after Terra Battle, maybe one day.

Perkel

Arcane
I only played The Last Story from those and it was actually great. Rough but great.

Repressed Homosexual
Blue Dragon is much better when you download the update that enables a higher difficulty setting.

Lost Odyssey I think is an uneven game. I really don't think it is that great. It starts going downhill once you meet the annoying kid characters.

The short stories are well written, by an actual Japanese novelist, but the story really leads to absolutely nowhere. Sakaguchi based the game on the intriguing premise of immortality, but ends up doing absolutely nothing with it.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
I really don't want to buy a 360 to play Lost Odyssey, is there any chance for a pc port? I think last story can be emulated.

Jinn

Arcane
If it can, it's sadly still not even close to a smooth experience yet. Would be extremely grating to play. If only Mistwalker gave any kind of shit about the PC market at all. Would really like to play Fantasian too...

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Would really like to play Fantasian too...

There's already a better version of Fantasian on PC.

525030-fantasian-pc-88-screenshot-you-really-need-a-good-wepon.png

:troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom