Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thoughts on some possibly shit games

Thrasher

Erudite
I second Wizardry 8 (almost finished my first play through) and ToEE (use one of the older CO8 patches that just fixes bugs, without adding / changing content).

W8 is a hell of a lot of nonessential random turned-based combat, but it's quite fun. And as others say, if you get tired of it, you can usually avoid combat by running or teleporting away. Also installing the speed mod is essential, otherwise combat movement is too slow.

As an odd voice, I liked POR2, although that was before I played many other better turned-based RPGs. I love HUGE dungeons (even if most of them look the same). If you play it, install the speed mod to make the gazillion repetitive battles tolerable. Note that not all of it is repetitive (in fact the best parrts aren't).

Murk

Arcane
for 2 bucks just fucking buy them all, is that even a serious question?

Texas Red

Whiner
Mikayel said:
for 2 bucks just fucking buy them all, is that even a serious question?

You have to pay me to even install that Pool of Radiance abomination.

Skankster

Novice
Great opinions, thanks for the input. I think I will grab them all except for Metalheart and MnM9. POR2 I will think about, as after googling forums I have seen some people carry on about good things, but I doubt it. I just don't want games hanging about taking up space.

I don't do ebay, had a couple of bad experiences with buying and selling, especially fake shit, maybe I could try selling something and getting my revenge. Yes, selling POR2 and MnM9, maybe I will fork out the extra 2-4 bucks anyway for the lulz.

Cheers

Loved the comment about Autoduel and new England, hahaha. Well done. I loved that game back in the day so hopefully Pirates will be as fun.

Thrasher

Erudite
Remember the whiners outnumber the lovers 1000 to 1 on this forum.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Ignorant fool.

How can you tag "shit game" anything created by Sid Meier. Pirates is great.

Skankster

Novice
And who are you? some dumb kid that wouldn't know wasteland if he fell over it? Get out of here.

What are the good bits about POR2 anyway Thrasher?

Zakhal

Liturgist
ToEE has received som mods too:

The Keep on the Borderlands
A total conversion that tries to increase game difficulty while maintaining the fell of the original. Som images:
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~hamms/po ... meenv.html

Circle of Eight Modpack 5.0.0
This mod is a combination of third party bug fixes and game enhancements such as new spell and items.

Last I remember I really liked the TB combat system of ToEE. It was like the best I had ever seen.

Texas Red

Whiner
Oblivion's combat is miles better than ToEE's though. It's real time.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"ToEE has the best turn-based D&D combat (3.5 Edition rules). Just make sure to apply the Circle of Eight patch (google it). It removes a lot of bugs and improves the overall gameplay significantly."

That's vhigh praise considering the abundance of competition TOEE has in the turn base 3.5 D&D rules combat section. L0LZ

Anyways, if it's $2 each, just buy all these games. R00fles!

Thrasher

Erudite
Skankster said:
What are the good bits about POR2 anyway Thrasher?

Well, it's turned based combat, for one. That's my own preference showing.
There's a TON of exploration (arguably repetitive though, but some areas, in particular the outdoor places, are interesting)

A gazillion unique items to find. Some fun/tough quests and some cool NPCs.

And hell, the setting, Myth Drannor, potentially the best dungeon setting ever.

Murk

Arcane
just careful you don't format your hdd when uninstalling it

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Metalheart and PoR2 are the only complete wastes of time on the list.

Pirates and Wiz8 are good games. The rest are fun at least for a short while. Enjoying it past that depends on how much you like the genres.

IdaGno

Educated
PoR: RoMD - allow me to respecfully disagree w/all the negativity thrown its way in this thread. Recently loaded it up again (patched to v1.4, uninstall/resinstall is completely uneventful & w/o issue - your W's install will be just fine) & this time beagn w/a couple of 1/2 Orc Batb's, the Default Rogue & the Default Cleric. Good grief! What a meat-grinder combo. Whizzed thru the first dungeon in less than a day. Yeah, it has many issues but if you enjoy turn-based & like 'em long & hard, give it a go. It's deeper than its critics credit it.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
It sucks. And, it's not deep. It's beyond shallow. And, it's an extremely poor example of turn based combat. If one were to try to pitch a turn based game, I surely wouldn't use POR2 as an example of a successful model for one. It took all of TB's weaknesses and amplified them 100 fold. Then spit on all of TB's strengths.

I'm no big fan of TOEE, but it got TB combat system down to a tee. In fact, the character/combat system is the only reason why I played it as long as I did. heck, i likely would have finished it if the bugs didn't ruin my appetite for it. :cry:

mondblut

Arcane
POR2 is TOEE meets Wizardry 8. Turnbased isometric 3 ed with ssssssllllloooooooooow combat every second step. But if boring and repetetive doesn't scare you off, it might be mildly enjoyable.

Metalheart is another attempt at Fallout clone. Has very Fallout-like graphics and reasonably good TB combat. But is very linear, lacks any kind of interactivity with the world (forget about opening boxes and talking to random people) and has a slew of bugs, including gamebreakers whenever you do something plot-related out of order. I had to play not only with walkthrough in another window, but also with Artmoney and notepad to edit LUA scripts to fix the bugs and "features" on the fly. Still, if you are nerdy enough, it is far better than The Fall was or Fallout 3 is going to be. I just finished it so feel free to ask.

M&M9 sucks. I started it a few days ago and just can't force myself to continue. It is the same kind of game as 6-8, but ugly as hell and with horrible interface.

The rest, people already spoke about.

Skankster

Novice
I grabbed them all. And I downloaded the additions to each as they popped up here in the thread and put them in seperate folders so they won't get lost. Thanks for the suggestions, links and descriptions.

I still have TW and Buck Rogers Matrix cubed to play through, then i will play one of these beasties and see where we go.

Thrasher

Erudite
If and when you play POR2, be sure to turn off the round timer, by setting it to the lowest setting. Single-player turn-based combat with time deadlines is silly, and annoying.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I have MetalHeart, and it goes nicely next to Fallout 1 & 2. It's a horrible game, but its kind of the videogame equivalent of a movie like Plan 9 From Outer Space.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom