Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thoughts on AI Wars?

AnalogKid

Scholar
Due to the news about a HUGE game update, I've just now heard of AI Wars, and I'd like to ask what people around here think about it? I've literally never heard of it before!

I play strat games strictly single player, so I'm looking for good campaigns (good = variation in gameplay from scenario to scenario) and _enough_ balance to be able to set up a variety of fun skrimish matches, even if there's one "win" strategy, I'm happy exploring it and then moving on to various self-handicapping as long as it's not ridiculous. I don't care AT ALL about multi-player balance.

Bonus KKKredits if anyone has info on the post-update gameplay that has apparently changed quite drastically.
:love:

Destroid

Arcane
I've only played the game briefly but I've talked quite extensively with people who have played it a lot - it struck me first and foremost as a puzzle style RTS game (as opposed to a 4x), pre patch. No idea what the update has done.

AnalogKid

Scholar
What do you mean by "puzzle style"? Matching different unit strengths/weaknesses to be most effective, or something else?

I'm on the edge of buying it just to support the _idea_ of such an apparently massive game and the support of the devs, but I'd hate to do that if it's actually just convoluted crap.

Are there any other games that it could be compared to in terms of gameplay?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Tried it for a bit but it just didn't grab me. Incredible steep learning curve which I just didn't feel like tackling at that time. I know, :decline: . The one thing that stood out during my brief time with it is that you're basically fighting against time. The more the AI becomes 'aware' of you the more forces it sends in, so you have to reach your goals before it overwhelms you. Pretty fascinating aspect. Defenitely not a run-off-the-mill game and one I might retry once I'm up to it.

AnalogKid

Scholar
Trash said:
Incredible steep learning curve which I just didn't feel like tackling at that time... I might retry once I'm up to it.
That's what I'm getting from reading about it, and also exactly what I'm trying to get a better "feel" for by soliciting impressions. I just don't know if it's worth the time and effort to learn the game. The update notes indicate it has lots of new tutorial stuff to help learn, but I'm not sold based on all the bullet points, yet.

reaven

Educated
i bought the game but didn't have anyone to play with, and this game looks like becomes really fun playing coop

AnalogKid said:
Due to the news about a HUGE game update, I've just now heard of AI Wars, and I'd like to ask what people around here think about it? I've literally never heard of it before!

I play strat games strictly single player, so I'm looking for good campaigns (good = variation in gameplay from scenario to scenario) and _enough_ balance to be able to set up a variety of fun skrimish matches, even if there's one "win" strategy, I'm happy exploring it and then moving on to various self-handicapping as long as it's not ridiculous. I don't care AT ALL about multi-player balance.

Bonus KKKredits if anyone has info on the post-update gameplay that has apparently changed quite drastically.
:love:

The game is a gem. I just updated it myself today. So, needless to say, I haven't played it yet with the huge new update...BUT...I can say from personal playing experience, if you do buy the base game make sure you buy both expansions to it. It really fleshes out the game and makes it even better.

To slightly echo Trash's post,(minus the fact that the game DID grab me.) the game is not so much a true 4x type space game but more of a war of expansion against an already established AI empire. You try to expand without pissing off the AI. The types of different strategies that you can use are quite diverse--and arguably, limitless. You can only increase your tech by grabbing and stealing knowledge. There is quite a bewildering number of ships and defenses at your disposal. Almost everything you do increases the AI's awareness of you and at some point it will try and squash you like a bug. Hopefully by that time you will have built up adequate defenses.
The graphics are not of the latest variety but the play is so sharp that you will not notice.

It took me a few months to learn the game and I admit, a couple of times I quit because of the learning curve. Learning the system can seem quite daunting at first. But stick with the game because once you learn it, it get a whole lot better.

Also:

Arcen Games (essentially one man-Chris M. Park.) was (or could still be?) in some financial trouble earlier this summer and was having trouble staying afloat.

Besides being a gem of a game, it would be worthwhile support for the independent game company if you took the plunge and bought it.

Destroid

Arcane
By puzzle-style I mean each level had a 'puzzle' that you worked out, so it was more of a puzzler in an RTS wrapper.

Of course, I could be completely wrong, that was just my impression from a brief play.

AnalogKid

Scholar
Thanks for the replies, I think I'll get it. I particularly like that it's not straight-forward 4x. I've got plenty of games where I start in the blue corner, he starts in the red corner and the game shouts "GO". The idea of usurping power from an established empire, trying to puzzle out the best way to do so, sounds great to me.

As promised, +3 KKKredits to each of you. Sorry nobody qualified for the bonus points. :(

Epsilon

Cipher
It's a very nice game, it really shines in co-op multiplayer, if you can get a few people together and try to take on the ai. It seems like theres always someone in a group of 3-4 people who's either overexpanding or having trouble keeping up with the others.
If you expand too quickly in this game the AI will kill off your fledgling empire right quick. Similarly if you build too big a military force then it will also ramp up the fleets it sends to your territory.
It's very much a balancing game of wits and strategy.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
The version I seen was boring.
It might be because, I'm too used to space simulations with details like Harpoon classic. Also there was a lack of economy and other interesting stuff. Watching intel info, doing great strategy, sending task forces with realistic weapons and realistic restrictions from point A to B, that's a lot more interesting than playing a RTS.

AI wars felt overbalanced, too simple rules, and too much clicking to be interesting.

Epsilon

Cipher
You might want to try Distant Worlds if you haven't already, eventhough it's an RTS it plays like the Paradox RTS games, meaning you can pause and plan your moves. It has a lot of the depth and complexity you'd associate with a proper 4x game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom