Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

This mod looks like it's worth reinstalling Civ4 for

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=344525

Rise of Mankind itself is quite awesome and I wouldn't play Civ without it anymore, but this adds even more stuff and some interesting features such as better diplomacy, better AI, *and* increases performance. Downloadan now.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, with Civ and Total War mods I sometimes take quite long to play them. When I'm in the mood for the games, I go and check if there's any cool new mods or new versions for my favourite mods, then I play for a month or two, then don't play it for a year or so, and when I'm in the mood for the game again I check on mods.

Which is why sometimes I discover good mods a year or longer after release.

DakaSha

Arcane
Just as retarded.

Dev: 'Lets add Lead Resource!'
Other Dev: 'But the AI can't handle that at all :-/'
Dev: 'Lets add Lead Resource!'

Could be cool. Sadly isn't

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I played the hell out of AND last year. The guy was always updating and fixing stuff. Good mod.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
attackfighter said:
civ 4 mods are pathetic compared to civ 3 mods

Dunno man but on the other hand Civ3 is pathetic compared to Civ 4.

I just keep Civ 4 installed at all times to check out the new mods.

attackfighter

Magister
Malakal said:
attackfighter said:
civ 4 mods are pathetic compared to civ 3 mods

Dunno man but on the other hand Civ3 is pathetic compared to Civ 4.

I just keep Civ 4 installed at all times to check out the new mods.

They're both pretty crappy in vanilla state, but with mods Civ 3 becomes 10000 times better. Civ 4 doesn't have anything that can compare.

DakaSha

Arcane
Who would f thought.. a thread about a specific civ4 mod turned into a list of 'good' mods and the civ3>civ4 debate ^^

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
It is more or less an inflationary mod. Also it adds so much crap that you need a high-end PC to play it properly.
Imho Planetfall and Master of Mana are way better mods (in terms of actual gameplay changes and AI resistance).

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
So what mods are good for Civ III then? I'm talking about mods that keep the general feel of the base game rather than fantasy, sci-fi or whatever though if you guys know decent ones, I'm all ears. I only just recently got Civ III complete after Skyway was ranting about it and am overwhelmed by the myriad of mods.

attackfighter

Magister
commie said:
So what mods are good for Civ III then? I'm talking about mods that keep the general feel of the base game rather than fantasy, sci-fi or whatever though if you guys know decent ones, I'm all ears. I only just recently got Civ III complete after Skyway was ranting about it and am overwhelmed by the myriad of mods.

Age of Imperialism and The Rood and the Dragon were pretty good. They're both 'scenario' mods though, so they don't really keep the general feel of a Civ game.

DakaSha

Arcane
oh yeah thats another thing. not being able to play without the mod crashing. yay

Master of Mana is better and surprisingly the Dune mod is pretty cool

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
attackfighter said:
commie said:

Age of Imperialism and The Rood and the Dragon were pretty good. They're both 'scenario' mods though, so they don't really keep the general feel of a Civ game.

Thanks man. Actually what I meant was the general style of Civ in tileset not that I didn't want scenarios. In fact I prefer the tighter focused feel of scenario mods rather than the vanilla experience where you have ridiculous things like a spear armed nation attacking bomber aircraft or Caesar against Gandhi. :roll: That always annoyed me in Civilization games and even though I understand the abstraction, it's jarring and that's why I prefer particular eras or scenario style games.

attackfighter

Magister
commie said:
attackfighter said:
commie said:

Thanks man. Actually what I meant was the general style of Civ in tileset not that I didn't want scenarios. In fact I prefer the tighter focused feel of scenario mods rather than the vanilla experience where you have ridiculous things like a spear armed nation attacking bomber aircraft or Caesar against Gandhi. :roll: That always annoyed me in Civilization games even though I understand the abstraction, it's jarring that's and why I prefer particular eras or scenario style games.

Your welcome, and yeah, I can't stand vanilla Civ for the same reason. I guess that's why I prefer Civ 3 to Civ 4; the latter is lacking in the scenario department, and most mods simply add more content rather than fixing the underlying gameplay problems.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
I think that's why I like AC so much; all the factions are already modern and developed, and characters are archetypes rather than historical figures from thousands of years apart so it makes more 'sense'.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom